Questions from TC for new O' Licence

Hi,

TC office received my application yesterday and I got an email from them today. Quick.

They’ve asked a few questions.

It is a Ltd. Co. asking for 2 vehicles 0 trailers. 1 Operating Center and 1 Office 1/2 hr away.
I have my cpc and am specified TM.

–They want to know “how the company has met its transport needs since it was incorporated” a few years ago. Perhaps it is cos I specified Haulier as the company type on the form. (?) I’ve been using it for driving work up till now.

–They want a Contract of Employment for the TM which is me. I hadn’t thought I needed to supply that as it is a contract with myself. Thought that was only required for external TM. 'Suppose it is between the co. and manager.

–They want me to confirm the hours a week I spend as a Director. Umm bring the books up to date every few weeks and run a vat return every quarter… works out to not many hours a week! Don’t want to write 0.25h per week. They might think I was taking the ■■■■.

–They want the Driver/TM to write a letter confirming how I “will be able to effectively and continuously manage the transport activities”.

“The letter should give details of how often he is available in light of his licence and other commitments, how often he visits the sites, how long he spends at each of the sites, who checks the tachographs and where records are kept. He should also refer to the distance between operating centers, give travelling times including a detailed itinerary, state who supervises the the driver daily walk round checks and how the driver defect reporting system is implemented and audited, and in relation to the former indicate whether it is practical to maintain continuous and effective control of the licences.”

–They want the details and qualifications of any one I might claim assists me.

It is one operating center and one truck (with one on the margin). There is only so much BS you can talk about “supervising the walk rounds” without starting to sound like you are being facetious.

–Then the worst thing of all. They say the advert is unacceptable. :open_mouth: The Operating Center is an industrial estate with open storage parking used by loads of other companies. They say the current ad is “misleading to local residents” as I don’t give the whereabouts within the Operating Center the vehicle will be parked. They say I need to re advertise this time specifying a unit number, but I don’t have one as it is open parking. The ad cost £300 YES £300 to put in the local paper :imp: (they are on a good number there) so I am hoping they can accept that no Unit No. is attached to it… or ask the parking place to make one up and fork out again for another ad. which seems ridiculous. Is a Unit No. a requirement?

I’m surprised they have gone on so much about implying I couldn’t possibly have the time to be a director and a TM and a driver. I read recently that they have actually recently reduced the guidance down from 8hrs for 1-2 vehicles. I stated a 40h week as a driver and 8h a week on TM duties. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I suppose they just want me to describe/outline my setup but I wish I didn’t have to re do my ad!

And here I was hoping I might get the interim through. :unamused:

Bit of homework for me there then.

And that is just the start! Had my application in since Nov and still waiting to get the green light! Mine is a little more complicated and I have the help of a very professional agent - but it’s just so frustrating!

Looooo:
Hi,

TC office received my application yesterday and I got an email from them today. Quick.

They’ve asked a few questions.

It is a Ltd. Co. asking for 2 vehicles 0 trailers. 1 Operating Center and 1 Office 1/2 hr away.
I have my cpc and am specified TM.

–They want to know “how the company has met its transport needs since it was incorporated” a few years ago. Perhaps it is cos I specified Haulier as the company type on the form. (?) I’ve been using it for driving work up till now.

Well that should be easy then, you’ve worked as a freelance driver, working for a variety of customers. Maybe name your customers, especially if there is more than one.

Looooo:
–They want a Contract of Employment for the TM which is me. I hadn’t thought I needed to supply that as it is a contract with myself. Thought that was only required for external TM. 'Suppose it is between the co. and manager.

Are you sure you didn’t tick the box for external TM, instead of internal TM?
But even though we had an external TM and didn’t need to send the contract off, just needed to have a contract.

Looooo:
–They want me to confirm the hours a week I spend as a Director. Umm bring the books up to date every few weeks and run a vat return every quarter… works out to not many hours a week! Don’t want to write 0.25h per week. They might think I was taking the ■■■■.

–They want the Driver/TM to write a letter confirming how I “will be able to effectively and continuously manage the transport activities”.

“The letter should give details of how often he is available in light of his licence and other commitments, how often he visits the sites, how long he spends at each of the sites, who checks the tachographs and where records are kept. He should also refer to the distance between operating centers, give travelling times including a detailed itinerary, state who supervises the the driver daily walk round checks and how the driver defect reporting system is implemented and audited, and in relation to the former indicate whether it is practical to maintain continuous and effective control of the licences.”

–They want the details and qualifications of any one I might claim assists me.

But just need a simple letter explaining you are an owner driver, and how much time you intend on admin tasks. Maybe someone like Harry Monk could help you by explaining how he explained it on his O’licence. When I became TM and was still a driver, although it was motorsport so driving wasn;t my full time job I basically said that I could give an exact day and hours I’d be working, but I work full time for the company and my main priority would be maintaining the O’licence compliance, vehicle safety and maintenance.

It is one operating center and one truck (with one on the margin). There is only so much BS you can talk about “supervising the walk rounds” without starting to sound like you are being facetious.

Looooo:
–Then the worst thing of all. They say the advert is unacceptable. :open_mouth: The Operating Center is an industrial estate with open storage parking used by loads of other companies. They say the current ad is “misleading to local residents” as I don’t give the whereabouts within the Operating Center the vehicle will be parked. They say I need to re advertise this time specifying a unit number, but I don’t have one as it is open parking. The ad cost £300 YES £300 to put in the local paper :imp: (they are on a good number there) so I am hoping they can accept that no Unit No. is attached to it… or ask the parking place to make one up and fork out again for another ad. which seems ridiculous. Is a Unit No. a requirement?

I don’t think a unit number would be required, but I suppose depending how big the industrial area is they might want to pin point it, especially if it’s near housing.

But I agree the advert cost :open_mouth: We’ve just had to apply for a new O’licence and I’ve got away without needing an advert because it’s just a change of company. I was relived, but I think last time it was about £150 for an advert so £300 seems over excessive. :open_mouth:

Looooo:
I’m surprised they have gone on so much about implying I couldn’t possibly have the time to be a director and a TM and a driver. I read recently that they have actually recently reduced the guidance down from 8hrs for 1-2 vehicles. I stated a 40h week as a driver and 8h a week on TM duties. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I suppose they just want me to describe/outline my setup but I wish I didn’t have to re do my ad!

And here I was hoping I might get the interim through. :unamused:

Bit of homework for me there then.

Normally there is a “case worker” name should be on the letter, I’d call them on Monday and have a chat, keep calm remember it’s not their fault, they’re only employees and have to follow procedures, but having dealt with them a few times over O’licence applications, I’ve found them to be helpful and can explain what’s needed or in some cases they’ve just a phone call to them has all that’s been needed to clear up a miss-understanding.

Thanks for that.

Yes I have a case worker name and direct number now so will give them a ring on Monday.

Co. has been contracting driving services to various clients with one main one over summer to cover their peak times (seasonal trade) and agency/agencies over winter. Plan to move things on and contract with vehicle in Summer and look for other work for the vehicle over Winter instead of jumping back on the agency which seems to get ropier work every year.

Best thing about agency work is coming across new contacts and demand for future work.

Another co. had an ad in same paper next to mine using same address and also without a unit no. though it was their establishment address ie. Bloggs of examplename industrial estate are applying to use elsewhere as an operating center. They are an established outfit so would think if it works for them I’d be ok too.

Yes I’ll write a letter outlining my practices and timings etc.

Double checked and definitely ticked internal for TM.

Now I am trawling internet for example contracts. So far just found one in David Lowe which I think I’ll use if I find nothing better. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice.

I have an external TM contract, as a word doc, I can send you, sent to many on here in the past, PM me with an email address and I’ll send one to you, then just edit it to your needs.

PM sent. Nice one. Thanks a lot.

Email sent, but thinking abotu it I’m not sure how you can have a contract between you and yourself. :confused:

Ask them why on Monday, but you have a copy in case you have to have one.

Well that was my first thought, but yeah, Ltd Co. = separate legal entity, so it is between it and the cpc holder. Fair enough. I’d have done it previously if I thought it was required.

Your one looks just the ticket though so will put it to good use for sure.

Express everything time wise in terms of hours/week. This was told to me by the last case handler I dealt with, after an applicant was queried over the times they said would be spent on other duties.

I would say most of the extra info. needed will be reasonably straight forward and can be supplied quickly by yourself. The Case worker should accommodate you as they are keen to bring new operators into the industry - though it might not seem that way. They just want all the info. correct at the beginning. Maybe download some of the doc’s relating to O licensing on gov.uk
gov.uk/government/publicati … guide-gv74

Things should start to look better very quickly from now.

Best of luck. Keep going through the motions & ticking the boxes!!!