Fuelling questions

1. Can LGVs use any normal fuelling station? (It’s just that I’ve never seen an LGV at the one near me, possibly because it has a narrow entrance leading in from Tesco car park) Or can you only use specific ones?

2. Does the company always give you a fuel card, or do you sometimes have to pay for fuel and claim back?

Depends on the height of the canopy and your trailer.But yes.If the access is enough to get in and out off.And they take the fuel cards your company use Then there is no problem.And no you don’t pay for the fuel yourself unless it’s your truck of course.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Companies generally give you a fuel card. It allows you to refuel at lots of different sites but only if that site accepts your fuel card. One example is KeyFuels. The company will buy so much more fuel than the average member of public, so they get better prices on fuel through the likes of Keyfuels etc.

You never pay for fuel yourself and hand in receipts as companies simply wont pay it as they know they can get better prices. Only exceptions are if you own the truck. Some companies might want a copy of the receipt when you have paid for fuel on their own card.

Check out the website/app called Keyfuels. It lets you search for HGV sites with higher canopies etc.
keyfuels.co.uk/site-locator/

Some companies like Royal Mail for example have their own fuel bunkers at certain sites where you can refuel using a fob to activate the pumps - Some even have a truck wash and if the stars are aligned, it might even work…

I was under the impression that pumps for hgv’s had bigger nozzles as the tanks are far bigger than a cars. As I get bored waiting for a 100 litre tank to fill at the local filling station I would hate to have to stand there holding the pump to fill up a 1499 gallon tank.

cooper1203:
I was under the impression that pumps for hgv’s had bigger nozzles as the tanks are far bigger than a cars. As I get bored waiting for a 100 litre tank to fill at the local filling station I would hate to have to stand there holding the pump to fill up a 1499 gallon tank.

You are in luck my friend as HGV pumps do
tend to have a faster flow.

Also unless you are planning to drive light aircraft, standard tanks on an artic are 550 litres not 1499 gallons :smiley:

cooper1203:

You’ll find that you can just clip the nozzle.No need to hold it.Unless it’s broken of course.Then it’s a case of finding something to keep it open.My thing is a tennis ball.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Other thing to remember is some petrol stations only allow certain pumps with specific fuel cards. Eg, there might be pump 8 for Keyfuels or summut.

I have filled an artic at Tesco but that was while training and the pump had £100 limit so had to do two fuelings. It also takes absolutely ages.

Morrisons take Keyfuels / UKfuels but a lot of companies don’t like you using them as they charge extra. Just not whats on the fuel pump.

Mostly its just a pain finding a station that takes the fuel card unless you’re given several cards.

If doing local deliveries you’ll get to find the best places from the office. If not then there are a few apps which can help Fuelmate and Motorway Buddy. Also search out any truckstops and AS24 stations as they’ll usually take Keyfuels and UKfuels.

Oh make sure they give you a pin number for any card!

Lymm Services by M6 and J29 Truckstop on M1 will get you started.

Forgot, any company which says “just pay yourself and we’ll refund you”…run, very fast! Gave heard it especially on agency but unless you fancy getting landed with a 400 quid bill, just run.

Jimmy McNulty:

cooper1203:

You are in luck my friend as HGV pumps do
tend to have a faster flow.

Also unless you are planning to drive light aircraft, standard tanks on an artic are 550 litres not 1499 gallons :smiley:

:smiley:
And it wouldn`t be a very light aircraft that took almost five tons of fuel either!