Forth road bridge closed - merged

rumour is it was dieseldog making a last ditch attempt to make the boat, he had spotted it sailing underneath…nearly made it.

dave_k:

Cruise Control:

Colingl:
Usually when it is breezy it’s only closed to double deckers and trucks.

These are the diversion routes ALL traffic is having to use

Southbound traffic is currently being diverted from the M90 motorway at the Admiralty junction onto the A985 to Kincardine.

Northbound traffic on approach to the Forth Road Bridge is being diverted off the A90 at Echline and can travel along the A904 to join the M9 at Junction 2, or be turned around to travel to M9 J1A.

Adds about 35 miles to your journey.

But as no traffic can use the FRB, journeys times are a bit of a lottery.

So add 45min give take normal conditions, looking on Google maps what’s that bridge to the right of the FRB? looks like a local road bridge? Don’t mean the rail bridge.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty much. Its an old but reliable bridge, also a new one (Clackmannanshire) bridge right next to it, A985 can be a nightmare though. A977 (m90 j6 to Clackmannanshire bridge) is a half decent alternative.

The bridge just to the right (East) of the FRB is actually the Rail Bridge, but clicking on the icon on Maps describes it as the road bridge! I have sent a feedback note to Google Maps to correct this to save confusion. There is no other bridge East of the Rail Bridge this side of the North Sea as far as I know.

Buckstones:

dave_k:

Cruise Control:

Colingl:
Usually when it is breezy it’s only closed to double deckers and trucks.

These are the diversion routes ALL traffic is having to use

Southbound traffic is currently being diverted from the M90 motorway at the Admiralty junction onto the A985 to Kincardine.

Northbound traffic on approach to the Forth Road Bridge is being diverted off the A90 at Echline and can travel along the A904 to join the M9 at Junction 2, or be turned around to travel to M9 J1A.

Adds about 35 miles to your journey.

But as no traffic can use the FRB, journeys times are a bit of a lottery.

So add 45min give take normal conditions, looking on Google maps what’s that bridge to the right of the FRB? looks like a local road bridge? Don’t mean the rail bridge.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty much. Its an old but reliable bridge, also a new one (Clackmannanshire) bridge right next to it, A985 can be a nightmare though. A977 (m90 j6 to Clackmannanshire bridge) is a half decent alternative.

The bridge just to the right (East) of the FRB is actually the Rail Bridge, but clicking on the icon on Maps describes it as the road bridge! I have sent a feedback note to Google Maps to correct this to save confusion. There is no other bridge East of the Rail Bridge this side of the North Sea as far as I know.

Is Google Maps showing the NEW Forth Road Bridge, which is still being built?

Google Maps does not show the new bridge but it is shown on Google Earth on the view dated 31/12/16. If this isn’t the date that first shows click on ‘view’ and ‘historical imagery’.

Hello all,

Long-time reader and former member…

Why this driver may have missed any / all signs warnings of the bridge closure it matters to a point no question…, but I believe the bigger issue is that Curries of Dumfries are paying an entire £426 a week based on a 55 hr. week plus night out money - equates to £7.74 an hour, with the princely overtime rate of - you have to be kidding me - £8.02 an hour.

This is from their very own website. They advertise, nice, newish equipment. Great, that will indeed pay the bills.

Mr Currie, I see you have been on ‘The Stobart school of trucking course…’

Now, before any of you berate this driver or any other for turning the motor over, he was f**king lucky not to be killed for a few brown boxes of ‘stuff’, maybe he was under pressure to be somewhere on time, and just took a risk like we have all done once in a while, thankfully we didn’t make the news, unfortunately he did.
But, myself, for £8.02 as an overtime rate, I would’ve turned around and headed back to the yard and threw the keys at them.

I would expect a, ‘They run me ragged every day and I was completely shagged out at the time…’ defence. They want the nearly impossible out of me nearly every day, day in day out, so my apologies if I missed the sign, I know it’s no excuse, but I am constantly tired, it’s a way of life to me now. My apologies for the disruption I may have caused. I’m sorry. ‘They,’ couldn’t personally give a ■■■■ about me either way, they will get another to fill the space I left…’ I was only trying to put food on the table for people who thankfully understand that I have to be away sometimes or else they might sack me…

Now, members, tell me - any of you, with the exception of rolling a truck, who hasn’t been there…

Do line up…

I will go first…

I HAVE NEVER ATTEMPTED TO CROSS A VERY HIGH BRIDGE IN EXTREMELY HIGH WINDS WHEN I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT’S CLOSED.

eagerbeaver:
I HAVE NEVER ATTEMPTED TO CROSS A VERY HIGH BRIDGE IN EXTREMELY HIGH WINDS WHEN I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT’S CLOSED.

+1

His planners may have pushed him to ignore the red cross signs to make a delivery on time.
Maybe told take it steady going over the bridge.

yourhavingalarf:

eagerbeaver:

+1

And another.
Now, I can see what Londontrucker is getting at: yeah, maybe the office idiots are saying “Fred just did it” or “surely the wind ain`t that bad” etc, but WTF, a closed road is a closed road. Even without actually being blown over, and risking your life and the life of anyone the truck lands on top of, why risk getting seen by the cameras on the bridge?? I hold my hands up to doing daft things, but this pretty extreme.

Londontrucker123:
Why this driver may have missed any / all signs warnings of the bridge closure it matters to a point no question…, but I believe the bigger issue is that Curries of Dumfries are paying an entire £426 a week based on a 55 hr. week plus night out money - equates to £7.74 an hour, with the princely overtime rate of - you have to be kidding me - £8.02 an hour.

No, in this case the fact that the Currie’s driver is seemingly paid about what/more than he is worth is not a ‘bigger issue’ than him causing chaos for miles around for almost an entire day due to his own abject, ‘lorry driver knows better’ stupidity.

Doing what he did should lead to a lifetime revocation of any HGV entitlement.

Everybody is coming on here saying what a ■■■■ this driver was, and tbf yeh he is.
I’m trying to work out his mindset here, my theory is he has probably done this numerous times before, and been lucky, a bit of a chancer, and as said being stupid enough to react to pressure from the office,.
Maybe this time he had a little less weight on than last time, made a judgement call, only this day was payback for all the other times…not justifying anything here, just looking for reasons why however misguided he was.

A bit of a ‘‘Let he who without sin cast the.’’…etc etc here.
A few have come on saying ‘‘I would never do this’’ and ‘‘I have never done that’’

Right here goes, being that I have been known to criticise others on here, it’s only fair by the same token, to put myself up for criticism, and admit stuff that that I have done that some others would not do, but hey, crack on call me wtf you like, I’m a big lad, I can take it, so I aint fussed here.

When I read about this, strong winds, prohibitive signs, bridges it made me think of me about 8 yrs ago, rushing to catch the Teesport boat (yeh, I know no excuse so far) I approached that viaduct bridge on the A19 s/bound, I had just loaded about 27 tonne of steel from Gateshead.
The diversion route was under the bridge, I looked down at the roundabout, and from there to the road out was abso chokker.

So…I made a judgement call, 27 tonne wt on one hand/flimsy Euroliner on other.

Ship out Teesport in an hour (or less, that is how tight it was)/or a further 350+ mile to Ramsgate or Dover.with the weekend coming.

I made that judgement call, reckoned up the odds, went for it, and got across. Ok the Euroliner was bending like a banana (as they do) but the steel on the bottom was enough ballast, and I got across…no harm done.

I aint trying to be clever here, I know it was a bit stupid, I know it could have went the other way (although I admit faced with it again back in time I would go for it again) I know I’m gonna get stick, but hey.
My point hete is that driver also made a judgement call,

Trucking decisions to many on here stops at ‘‘Shall I go in 10 mins late to Tesco or 5 mins early’’ ‘‘Shall I do a manual entry or be a devil and not bother’’ or ‘‘Shall I take a sleepin bag with me today or not’’ :unamused: There is a lot more to it in other guy’s jobs. :bulb:

Admittedlly a wrong decision was made here… and a bloody stupid one, evidently his weight was not enough to hold him down, maybe he was even empty :unamused: who knows.

So am I the only one on here that has took a chance on things in this job, went for it rather than err on the side of caution, made a decision, not maybe even concerning high bridges, but something equally with dire potential, which would not necesssarilly be the actions of the majority, …if so I bow to you all for your integrity and professionalism.
That’s all I’m saying, …so let’s hear it.

Fact of the matter is, he ignored the signs saying the bridge was closed to HGV traffic. While we say things or whatever, how many of you today would ignore the warning telling you that the Humber Bridge is closed to HGV traffic?

Just out of interest, Rob, were you working for yourself when chasing to get to the Teesport boat ?
Regards. John.

Saving of 45 mins vs chance of coffin and very upset family.

Diversion every time for me Rob.

Ive taken chances, and done stupid things. Im sure I will again. Going thro a residential area with a weight limit or going a few mph over the top or a few minutes over your hours are in a different class to this. Its not risking a fine or scratching a parked car, but life threatening. And its not how tired I am or arent, its not my skill, or lack of it. Its absolutely out of the drivers hands. No one can really judge wind speed very well, partly because we dont often experience it, and even if we could, the wind strength on shore aint the same as that 1000m from the banks and 150 m up. If Rob says we all do stupid things I cannot disagree, but this one does go too far for me.

old 67:
Just out of interest, Rob, were you working for yourself when chasing to get to the Teesport boat ?
Regards. John.

I know what you’re getting atmate… no it was not for myself, but nobody was putting pressure on me either.
I made the call, down to me 100%.wanted a weekend or somewhere near finish on return from Belgium rather than go through Calais…no need to comment on that btw…I know. :neutral_face:

In the cold light of day today 8 yrs later…bad move .

On the day a split second decision, on reflection a stupid one, although I still maintain 27/8 tonne takes some going over…(arguably) but I made it, and I can’t go back.
I could say the result tells the tale…nothing happened, but accept things could have been different so as Robbie Nevill once said…C’est la vie. :neutral_face:

Franglais:
Ive taken chances, and done stupid things. Im sure I will again. Going thro a residential area with a weight limit or going a few mph over the top or a few minutes over your hours are in a different class to this. Its not risking a fine or scratching a parked car, but life threatening. And its not how tired I am or arent, its not my skill, or lack of it. Its absolutely out of the drivers hands. No one can really judge wind speed very well, partly because we dont often experience it, and even if we could, the wind strength on shore aint the same as that 1000m from the banks and 150 m up. If Rob says we all do stupid things I cannot disagree, but this one does go too far for me.

+1 (We all have taken them)

Normandie bridge over the Seine comes to mind here Franglais, or even Tancarville, the diversion route is quite long if you’re going to Le Havre from the west or Caen from the north, but the closure is well notified in advance on the A13 and the A28. There is no way I would have ventured onto the Normandie bridge in the winds we had here on Thursday night into Friday morning. And if that bridge is closed , they mean CLOSED!
The Curries driver took a chance, ignoring all the signs and blew it ( sorry about the pun ) :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

As a quick aside a trailer was blown over in the port at Ouistreham last week. Seems it was an empty tautliner that had been dropped there. Just blew clean over it seems!
They say never shelter under a tree in thunder/lightning storms, maybe dont stand near a truck if its windy too.

Franglais:
As a quick aside a trailer was blown over in the port at Ouistreham last week. Seems it was an empty tautliner that had been dropped there. Just blew clean over it seems!
They say never shelter under a tree in thunder/lightning storms, maybe dont stand near a truck if its windy too.

Delivering up at Nissan last week, gateman told me that they had two go over inside the actual plant. One was empty, the other for full of engines. That last one would have about 20ton onboard and it still went over! I heard from another that they had an empty on the loading bays that was blown over.

Another question for you Rob, in high winds do they actually close that bridge like on the day that you chanced it? If not then you hadn’t broken any laws, you just took a risk.