Forth Bridge lorry-driving clowns

On Radio Scotland this morning, the Forth Road Bridge Authority, police and others all condemned those lorry drivers who are ignoring the bridge closed signs on the days when the wind is too strong. There was a lot of talk about lorries being blown over because their drivers refused to use the diversion via Kincardine.
They are now talking about having a holding area where the toll booths were, I hope they keep these clowns for a few days and dont allow them to turn around. The signs that the bridge is closed can be seen all over central Scotland.
Heavy fines should be levied on these muppetts as far as I am concerned.
More good publicity for lorry drivers - NOT!
Alex

alexsaville:
On Radio Scotland this morning, the Forth Road Bridge Authority, police and others all condemned those lorry drivers who are ignoring the bridge closed signs on the days when the wind is too strong. There was a lot of talk about lorries being blown over because their drivers refused to use the diversion via Kincardine.
They are now talking about having a holding area where the toll booths were, I hope they keep these clowns for a few days and dont allow them to turn around. The signs that the bridge is closed can be seen all over central Scotland.
Heavy fines should be levied on these muppetts as far as I am concerned.
More good publicity for lorry drivers - NOT!
Alex

Define high though?
A bulk tipper is normally about 13’ high, but at 44t I’d rather take it across the bridge than a car or a van. High load needs defining, and should be correlated with the weight of vehicle crossing it.
In my humble opinion like :wink:

Anything other than a flat with a low load, I would imagine. Even at 44t and 13 feet, you have no option, the bridge is closed to you.
Alex

alexsaville:
Anything other than a flat with a low load, I would imagine. Even at 44t and 13 feet, you have no option, the bridge is closed to you.
Alex

So you would cross the bridge in a minibus or high roof van, as you’re only about 8’ high even though there’s only a couple of tonne to hold you down? I suppose you could argue that a Luton van isn’t a high vehicle?
But that’s the trouble with this country, common sense has been replaced by petty Bureaucracy :unamused:

What about car transporters? Wind goes straight through them, loaded or not.

people should definately get fined if the bridge is closed but the phase high sided needs to be defined

renaultman:
But that’s the trouble with this country, common sense has been replaced by petty Bureaucracy :unamused:

And another problem is that individuals are apparently unable to take responsibility for their own actions, preferring to bleat the line fed to them by the politicians who crave an easily governable populous. Sadly this problem is highly visible here.

I think the problem with this country is that when people see a sign saying ‘Forth Bridge closed to High Sided Vehicles, Caravans & Motorbikes’ ,common sense would dicatate they use the diversion. Even if they have total disregard for their own safety, they should think of others!
Maybe I’m asking too much here!
Alex

During this winter two lorries were blown over on the bridge - neither of these actually disobeyed instructions to use a diversion - either the bridge control failed to implement the diversion in time or they were hit by “freak” gusts. One certainly looked to have toppled just after it passed one of the bridge columns.

Shrek:

And tankers, which is nice! :smiley:

Have been over Dartford bridge when it’s windy in a van and 44t and everything in between, give me a biggun any day! Just observe any speed limits in force.

id rather go over in 44t tipper than a luton :slight_smile:

All the more for building a tunnel to replace the existing bridge. Every time the bridge is closed and we’re diverted, most of the time I’m into 10hrs driving time and i can only do that twice a week

Few months ago it was really windy all day and the bridge had been closed most of the day. Coming up the M8 and passed the big sign about a mile before the turnoff for the bridge and the sign said something like’High Winds And Rain Forecast Drive With Care’. Nothing on there about the bridge being closed so i tried to get over. Stopped before going over and turned round :frowning:

There really should be a sign just before the bridge diverting you off onto the Boness/M9 road so you can join the Kincardine queue.

Also while on about the bridge, how old are the matrix signs on the bridge itself. They are hardly readable now nomatter what weather it is!

iv done these type of bridges with a volkswagen campervan and had no prob in high winds.
i would rather do it with the 44t on in a truck.
its down to speed.
keep it controlable.

bugcos:

Shrek:

And tankers, which is nice! :smiley:

If the wind blows straight through your tanker then you’ve got problems :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Anyway, I was watching a Program not so long ago, and because of breaking/fatigued wire within the suspension cables. the bridge is likely to be closed to heavy traffic (read HGV’s) within the next 10 years :open_mouth: so wind wont be a problem :smiley:

eddie snax:
Anyway, I was watching a Program not so long ago, and because of breaking/fatigued wire within the suspension cables. the bridge is likely to be closed to heavy traffic (read HGV’s) within the next 10 years :open_mouth: so wind wont be a problem :smiley:

they are doing exploritary digging on the anchor cables this year.
when they poured the concrete, on the cables the holes were full off water,
they JUST found this out ,the theory at the moment is the anchor points are rusted to hell,10 years for HGV traffic doubtful,
theyve started site drilling for the new bridge, to make sure the location is ok.
a tunnel under the forth would
A cost a lot more
B take longer to complete as the approach angle would be ,probably a mile away from the forth either side
as it is as soon as the new crossing is completed , the old bridge is going to be dismantaled .

if it’s anything like the hindhead tunnel, 3 years to dig/build it, get the paddys in .

will be done by xmas :smiley:

I went over the normandy bridge this week which was nice. I have also driven over it when it was windy, you drive alongside another truck and go slowly and even the police ignore the no overtaking signs in that case.

Long or High needs defining with common sense