Forth Bridge lorry-driving clowns

you are spot on mate those matrix signs are well past it and very hard to read

Shrek:
What about car transporters? Wind goes straight through them, loaded or not.

Used to let us. Not any more.

scania245:

eddie snax:
Anyway, I was watching a Program not so long ago, and because of breaking/fatigued wire within the suspension cables. the bridge is likely to be closed to heavy traffic (read HGV’s) within the next 10 years :open_mouth: so wind wont be a problem :smiley:

they are doing exploritary digging on the anchor cables this year.
when they poured the concrete, on the cables the holes were full off water,
they JUST found this out ,the theory at the moment is the anchor points are rusted to hell,10 years for HGV traffic doubtful,
theyve started site drilling for the new bridge, to make sure the location is ok.
a tunnel under the forth would
A cost a lot more
B take longer to complete as the approach angle would be ,probably a mile away from the forth either side
as it is as soon as the new crossing is completed , the old bridge is going to be dismantaled .

I cant remember all the ins and outs of it, but from what I remember they were using some kind of listening/vibration sensor on each cable to listen to the wires snapping. Trouble is that a wire breaks within the cable wrap, that puts more stress on the other wires within that cable, which increases the speed of fatigue and failure.

I didnt know they were actually starting ground work for the new bridge, with a bit of luck have it done before they have shut the old one

Shrek:
What about car transporters? Wind goes straight through them, loaded or not.

Not if you got a load of vans on! :open_mouth:

alexsaville:
On Radio Scotland this morning, the Forth Road Bridge Authority, police and others all condemned those lorry drivers who are ignoring the bridge closed signs
Alex

Thing is you can now get to the bridge without seeing a sign. :unamused:

I regularly load out of Livingston.If I have to get fuel at Broxburn,I get onto the M9 at Newbridge and the sign that was between there and the spur road has been removed. There are no signs on the new part of the spur,so you are at the bridge before you find out it’s closed :confused:

If it’s obviously too windy,then I wouldn’t via the bridge anyway,but there are times when it seems that the wind is too strong,but the bridge is still open. Let’s face it,it’s a fairly long diversion,and you wouldn’t want to do it if you didn’t have to.