Forth road bridge closed - merged

pierrot 14:

Franglais:
Ive taken chances, and done stupid things. Im sure I will again. Going thro a residential area with a weight limit or going a few mph over the top or a few minutes over your hours are in a different class to this. Its not risking a fine or scratching a parked car, but life threatening. And its not how tired I am or arent, its not my skill, or lack of it. Its absolutely out of the drivers hands. No one can really judge wind speed very well, partly because we dont often experience it, and even if we could, the wind strength on shore aint the same as that 1000m from the banks and 150 m up. If Rob says we all do stupid things I cannot disagree, but this one does go too far for me.

+1 (We all have taken them)

Normandie bridge over the Seine comes to mind here Franglais, or even Tancarville, the diversion route is quite long if you’re going to Le Havre from the west or Caen from the north, but the closure is well notified in advance on the A13 and the A28. There is no way I would have ventured onto the Normandie bridge in the winds we had here on Thursday night into Friday morning. And if that bridge is closed , they mean CLOSED!
The Curries driver took a chance, ignoring all the signs and blew it ( sorry about the pun ) :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yep, they`re both enough of a drop for you to reflect for a couple of seconds on the stupidity of your choice before you get wet.

What’s the deal with being charged with dangerous driving… obviously he’ll loose his licence and that… what else… major fine obviously… prison sentence??

Charged with dangerous driving because what he did was dangerous. And he was driving.

SouthEastCashew:
What’s the deal with being charged with dangerous driving… obviously he’ll loose his licence and that… what else… major fine obviously… prison sentence??

Unlimited fine and up to 2years in nick. 14 years possible in case of death caused by dangerous driving. At least one year ban and re-test. The re-test would be a waste for the vocational licence I`d guess, never get a job or insurance for a long time.

Franglais:

SouthEastCashew:

Unlimited fine and up to 2years in nick. 14 years possible in case of death caused by dangerous driving. At least one year ban and re-test. The re-test would be a waste for the vocational licence I`d guess, never get a job or insurance for a long time.

Interesting… fair enough I guess though! Can’t argue the law!! What an idiot why would he even think about risking it. IDIOT!!

Still zero information about the driver? Foreigner or local? Young or old? Newbie or experienced? Still got a job or sacked?

Must be somebody from curries on here that can spill the gossip.

Driver is Payne Fulnek, last known address was a police station not too far from the Forth bridge.

He has been sacked, but has just secured a job as Limeyphil’s personal assistant.

SouthEastCashew:

A driving ban is highly likely.
The previous case with the van driver from London resulted in him getting a one year ban and 100 hours community service.
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e … e-29697028

I wouldn’t be surprised if the sentence for this driver is much higher due to him being an HGV driver and due to the damage to be bridge and the resulting disruption to other traffic being far worse.
Also, following the criminal proceedings, an invite to a driver conduct hearing with the Traffic Commissioner to discuss the future of his vocational licence is quite likely.

merc0447:
Still zero information about the driver? Foreigner or local? Young or old? Newbie or experienced? Still got a job or sacked?

Must be somebody from curries on here that can spill the gossip.

All that has been reported so far is that a 54 year old man has been charged with dangerous driving.
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38575843

More details will be made public once the case comes to trial in court.

pierrot 14:
Another question for you Rob, in high winds do they actually close that bridge like on the day that you chanced it? If not then you hadn’t broken any laws, you just took a risk.

No it was not closed as such, however high veh diversion signs were out afai recall, now whether it was mandatory or advisory I can’t say, (although tbh it maybe was the former.)

I was there (Teeside) on the day of the Forth Bridge incident, which reminded me of the occasion, and there was closure signs with amber lights which suggested it was mandatory.

Look, I know on reflection I should maybe not have done it.
It’s just that some were coming across on this thread as being infallible and never took any chances, I was merely pointing out (and admitting) that I have, so therefore not ‘‘holier than thou’’ such as others were trying to portray while calling the Currie driver a ■■■■

Not sure if it’s been asked before, but what would be the deal with insurance paying out for the recovery, damaged truck etc. Bridge was closed to trucks so would the insurers be within their rights to refuse paying out, leaving Currie European to foot the bill themselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was he loaded or empty?

robroy:
Was he loaded or empty?

Didn’t look like he was loaded but I’m only going on the pictures I seen on news etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once got a bollckin from the chap in the kiosk for crossing the Humber bridge when shut to high sided vehicles … never thought it applied to an Iveco Daily 3.5 ton box van and the wind was dead behind me while crossing.

robroy:
Was he loaded or empty?

There are always a few Currie lorries tipping at Amazon Dunfermline (five mins north of the bridge), so empty I’d say.

Curries have not exactly had a good press on this thread.
I remember when they were a respected company, with a lot of good proper drivers running the Continent in the 80s/90s
Even up to 8 years ago, I met a couple of their lads on the boat who came across as pro drivers…so what happened there?

robroy:
Curries have not exactly had a good press on this thread.
I remember when they were a respected company, with a lot of good proper drivers running the Continent in the 80s/90s
Even up to 8 years ago, I met a couple of their lads on the boat who came across as pro drivers…so what happened there?

Vey much this, remember my Dad talking about them and they were known as an experienced and tight knit bunch. Always had a lot of subbies but some top lads too.

Perhaps like a few companies who have got quite big and all the hassle that that brings, going to just being an unknown number and drivers becoming disillusioned , too much hassle from the office etc.

No doubt they’ll still have lots of boys that have been there a while who may get looked after ok, while at the other end there will be a revolving door of drivers (trying something new/new passes/agency/drivers being treated poorly etc) coming and going and obviously that brings its own problems. I’d think they will be paying the going rate, or just very slightly less, for the area.

robroy:
Everybody is coming on here saying what a [zb] this driver was, and tbf yeh he is.
I’m trying to work out his mindset here, my theory is he has probably done this numerous times before, and been lucky, a bit of a chancer, and as said being stupid enough to react to pressure from the office,.
Maybe this time he had a little less weight on than last time, made a judgement call, only this day was payback for all the other times…not justifying anything here, just looking for reasons why however misguided he was.

A bit of a ‘‘Let he who without sin cast the.’’…etc etc here.
A few have come on saying ‘‘I would never do this’’ and ‘‘I have never done that’’

Right here goes, being that I have been known to criticise others on here, it’s only fair by the same token, to put myself up for criticism, and admit stuff that that I have done that some others would not do, but hey, crack on call me wtf you like, I’m a big lad, I can take it, so I aint fussed here.

When I read about this, strong winds, prohibitive signs, bridges it made me think of me about 8 yrs ago, rushing to catch the Teesport boat (yeh, I know no excuse so far) I approached that viaduct bridge on the A19 s/bound, I had just loaded about 27 tonne of steel from Gateshead.
The diversion route was under the bridge, I looked down at the roundabout, and from there to the road out was abso chokker.

So…I made a judgement call, 27 tonne wt on one hand/flimsy Euroliner on other.

Ship out Teesport in an hour (or less, that is how tight it was)/or a further 350+ mile to Ramsgate or Dover.with the weekend coming.

I made that judgement call, reckoned up the odds, went for it, and got across. Ok the Euroliner was bending like a banana (as they do) but the steel on the bottom was enough ballast, and I got across…no harm done.

I aint trying to be clever here, I know it was a bit stupid, I know it could have went the other way (although I admit faced with it again back in time I would go for it again) I know I’m gonna get stick, but hey.
My point hete is that driver also made a judgement call,

Trucking decisions to many on here stops at ‘‘Shall I go in 10 mins late to Tesco or 5 mins early’’ ‘‘Shall I do a manual entry or be a devil and not bother’’ or ‘‘Shall I take a sleepin bag with me today or not’’ :unamused: There is a lot more to it in other guy’s jobs. :bulb:

Admittedlly a wrong decision was made here… and a bloody stupid one, evidently his weight was not enough to hold him down, maybe he was even empty :unamused: who knows.

So am I the only one on here that has took a chance on things in this job, went for it rather than err on the side of caution, made a decision, not maybe even concerning high bridges, but something equally with dire potential, which would not necesssarilly be the actions of the majority, …if so I bow to you all for your integrity and professionalism.
That’s all I’m saying, …so let’s hear it.

And you Roberick! :smiley:

But I do see what you’re saying, as you often don’t realise what you’re doing is stupid until it’s too late. Yes if the bridge was closed to “High sided Vehicles” then he shouldn’t of crossed. But some time back I myself had to look up exactly what constitutes a High Sided Vehicle, as guess what? It wasn’t covered in my CPC! :laughing:

So for reference here it is: Stone Bridge - Blog about the biggest bridges in the world

Permitted to cross:

• Cars without trailers
  • Cars with roof racks not higher than 30cm and the load firmly secured (BUT NO bikes, canoes, etc.)
  • Transit van style – with no modifications
  • Open or flat-bed HGV’s with a low or heavy load
  • Single Decker Buses
  • Ambulances & Patient Transport vehicles – Ambulance control will be consulted on the risks of crossing. However, the final decision dependent on the criticality of the patient will rest with ambulance control, not the bridge operating company (at ALL wind speeds)

Not permitted to cross:

• High-sided rigid or articulated HGV’s (regardless whether empty or full)
  • Articulated tippers (regardless whether empty or full)
  • Tankers (regardless whether empty or full)
  • Rigid tippers (regardless whether empty or full)
  • Car transporters
  • Furniture vans
  • Luton vans
  • Transit van style with modification
  • Vehicles with trailers or caravans
  • Motorcycles
  • 3-wheeled cars
  • Any other vehicle which appears, in the judgement of the Duty Inspector, to be clearly at risk.

Now I’m not defending the driver, but maybe they didn’t understand exactly what a high sided vehicle is? Perhaps they though that was only double deckers. A bit of a stretch I know, but if we couple that with them possibly being exhausted and having a bit of a brain ■■■■, who knows that was going through their head. Also, when I started on tankers I asked if we classified as “High Sided” and was told (Err, No, not really…) Which is clearly wrong going by the list above… Anyway, I think my point is that we all screw up from time to time, and before we do stone the driver, perhaps we should ask ourselves if we are without sin?

I made a bit of a mistake a week or so back, when I chose to avoid a traffic jam due to an accident, and took a road I knew and which wasn’t restricted. And all I can say on that, is that it appears a lot wider in your car! :open_mouth: No issues, but would I take that road again? Would I F… :laughing:

P.S. Do you think the average Reliant Robin driver knows they aren’t allowed to cross? :open_mouth: