Ford Transcontinental

Fantastic truck in it’s day. Freezing in the winter though.
Does anyone remember J&M from S.Wales running them? The very last one bought was the white one in the picture and I drove it for about 6 months before they went out of business.

LVX & Who.jpg

If you want to see more checkout the S.Wales hauliers 60’ & 70’s onwards. there will more posted there soon

rward:
hi all always thought ken trowells red trancon was awsome one of best looking in country used to see in builders merchants everwhere nice guy as well regards rowland

Totally agree with you there Rowland, Ken’s Transcon’s were something special. I thoroughly enjoyed tramping around the country in various Transcon’s, RHD’s and left hookers. I’ve attached a pic of one I used to drive, you can just make out a much younger me and my faithful pit bull sat in cab. Regards Pete.

Kingtrucker143:

rward:
hi all always thought ken trowells red trancon was awsome one of best looking in country used to see in builders merchants everwhere nice guy as well regards rowland

Totally agree with you there Rowland, Ken’s Transcon’s were something special. I thoroughly enjoyed tramping around the country in various Transcon’s, RHD’s and left hookers. I’ve attached a pic of one I used to drive, you can just make out a much younger me and my faithful pit bull sat in cab. Regards Pete.

Hi pete you might remember me if u was one of his drivers ,my dad used to run with his trailers blue f10 with trowell
across the front ,i was the kid in the passenger seat

5572_1035624708689_1767624438_70616_2892897_n.jpgThe transcontinental i drove was for Hatcher Freightlines from Framlingham in 1980 on a w reg it was a 290 ■■■■■■■ with a 13 speed
splitter box they had two my mate drove the other one but his was a 9 speed box and mine pulled like a train but stopping them was another thing, well ahead of their time, The first time i took it out it felt like the cab was going to come off when you went onto a roundabout or braked.

Wonder why Ford’s thought it was ok just to fit a short curtain just covering the top bunk on the early models & did’nt consider fitting curtains to go around the whole of the cab? :confused:

tonyhogi:
Wonder why Ford’s thought it was ok just to fit a short curtain just covering the top bunk on the early models & did’nt consider fitting curtains to go around the whole of the cab? :confused:

There was nothing big enough to allow others see into the cab, except a tipper truck and a double decker bus :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Have hopefully managed to procure some more info , which may include a full fleet list & possibly photos of the Transcontinentals operated by City of Glasgow District Council , just need to see when I can get to collect it .

Watch this space . :wink:

i think, but am not sure, this was ashley gibbons motor, ashley aka the honey monster ran spain for richmond forwarding, along with the other transcon rogues… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: His son name is richie. aka daf man i think.

Nice one Karl that motor done some miles, we still got 4 left ■■■■■■ fords here in newport. Richy

dafman1:
Nice one Karl that motor done some miles, we still got 4 left ■■■■■■ fords here in newport. Richy

hello dafman 1
Nice to know theres still some of the fords in newport apart from mine. I remember taking photos by the side of the house in pill. DWN was a 4x2 then and later on the docks in the photos form. I also visited the yard near birdport spent a few hours talking transconts with ashley.

Tony

Broken down Transcon on the A38 nr Lichfield in the mid 80’s

scan0113.jpg

dafman1:

Any chance of some pictures of them?

Dig em out Richie!!, I’ll see what I can find also, have some of Bobby Long’s and Kelvin Ward’s Transcon’s lurking in the shadows somewhere. Ade

Some pictures for fellow Transcon fans of a 1-24th scale model I am building.
Neil.

hi ade 1970 which pics of kelvins transcon do you have xhb 461t wat a machine blue and white and he also had kbo r nessbert coulers im his brother and wheres bobby long now nice bloke also his ashly still working used to tsee him at advanced bedwas paul pearce rich was very young then long time ago regards rowland

ricn dafman is that your transcon in robin fowlers yard for restoration i see it there while back regards rowland

Richie, do you realise this was about 22 yrs ago !, you was still at school and used to go with your dad during the hlidays !, i was 21 yrs old then and had just started driving, had my own transcon and ended up running with your dad, bob long, micky phillips and your uncle robbie, jees what an education!, best times of my life and miss it loads, i was very lucky to have started my career with the last of the old school. respect to all of yours ! karl :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

mechanic77 and ady1970, i will get some pics uploaded asap, Ade funny enough i think bob long is comming to see me today.

tonytranscont nice to see your still about i,v seen your ford around it looks well mate, would love to see what pictures you got of dwn as it was always our main motor,

rward i remember when you 1st bought your 141 when it was green and red, yes mate the old man is still about doin a bit and that is one of my ford’s down robin and rhys fowlers awaiing the treatment.