Ford Transcontinental

richmond:
Richie, do you realise this was about 22 yrs ago !, you was still at school and used to go with your dad during the hlidays !, i was 21 yrs old then and had just started driving, had my own transcon and ended up running with your dad, bob long, micky phillips and your uncle robbie, jees what an education!, best times of my life and miss it loads, i was very lucky to have started my career with the last of the old school. respect to all of yours ! karl :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Karl, The problem was i didnt only go in the holidays i went in school time, i remember you well in that green transcon, they were good days and time has flown by and with todays modern motors, drivers and vosa we wont see days like that again, note the lack of spray flaps on our tilt in that pic you sent? one of the reasons we only docked back into the uk by the hours of darkness. Richy

yeah i remeber your in school time excursions, but didnt want to post it ! we have all done most of our best work in the dark hours ! :laughing: :laughing:

The hour’s of darkness were very good in a Transcon, especially at Calais, headlights on and the fan on high and the fuel gauge dropped to half, so only a 5FF coffee…unless they spotted the belly tank :laughing: :laughing:

dutchie64:
does anyone remembers tydsley wilkeson from glossop they ran a fleet of transcontinentals
i use to load them when i worked for mat zwijndrecht.they ran out of mift then.about 1983
and does anybody remember the ex cast container fords stephan of the total in zeebruge
was selling for spare parts?

My Dad worked a Tydsley Wilkinson and drove the Transcons they had I think they had 10 of them

Richie, Richmond, Roland, 1993 Dieppe Bobby Long rolling into town.

Blue transcons looks familar, dit it ever work out of Bell Containers in Newport in the late 80’s early 90’s ?

rward:
hi ade 1970 which pics of kelvins transcon do you have xhb 461t wat a machine blue and white and he also had kbo r nessbert coulers im his brother and wheres bobby long now nice bloke also his ashly still working used to tsee him at advanced bedwas paul pearce rich was very young then long time ago regards rowland

Rowland, I haven’t retrieved it yet. UTX 783S rings a bell, a white 4 wheeler. Kelvin and Ray S’altiel ran MOT’s with it whilst doing the maintenance for TIP Cardiff 1988 era. I have photos possibly in work should get them for tomorrow. Ade.

Ade1970:

rward:
hi ade 1970 which pics of kelvins transcon do you have xhb 461t wat a machine blue and white and he also had kbo r nessbert coulers im his brother and wheres bobby long now nice bloke also his ashly still working used to tsee him at advanced bedwas paul pearce rich was very young then long time ago regards rowland

Rowland, I haven’t retrieved it yet. UTX 783S rings a bell, a white 4 wheeler. Kelvin and Ray S’altiel ran MOT’s with it whilst doing the maintenance for TIP Cardiff 1988 era. I have photos possibly in work should get them for tomorrow. Ade.

hello Ade UTX 783S was one of Hicks originally when they were based in rhiwderin near newport. I last saw it as you say in white in the yard at rhiwderin in march 1989
Tonytranscont .

hi ade i forgot kelvin and ray saltiel done mots for tip and wat lorries they had then but steve saltiel will remember so come on steve fill gaps regards rowland

rward:
hi ade i forgot kelvin and ray saltiel done mots for tip and wat lorries they had then but steve saltiel will remember so come on steve fill gaps regards rowland

Just found it. This was August 1988 at TIP Cardiff. You may just be able to make the number plate out. Ade.

ADE WAS THIS KELVINS AND RAYS I HAVENT A CLUE

rward:
ADE WAS THIS KELVINS AND RAYS I HAVENT A CLUE

Yes Rowland. It was based at Cardiff running TIP MOT’s to Llantrisant. It would only go to Bedwas for repairs then come back to Cardiff Docks. At the time Kelvin’s transport fleet were some F10’s rented from Compton’s doing contracts such as Tubex. Adrian.

ADE I MUST KNOW YOU

Ade1970:

blimey, thats agood one i havent seen that motor , or driver for a while boblong, allyou need now, is mcandrews driver, alan, chalky whites green transcon, and you will have the set… will post it for you soon, got a pic of his and mine on the beach at salou, i think…he was an owner driver fo mcandrews, but we let him in our gang cos he was such a nice guy, i have heard that he now drives for halfords out of redditch, maybe…all good men, who taught a young me how to do it. :smiley:

Ade1970:

This may seem strange but BLJ 28A is BHU 695V. Bob Long bought the plate as it stood for “Bob Long’s Juggernaut”. This was now 1997 and it also had an ERF grill fitted. Bob pulled low loaders for Andy Riseborough at Cambrian Plant. Shortly after DAFman Richie acquired the vehicle. Came to a halt by Tesco’s at Maesglas if I remember Richie. Ade

rward:
ADE I MUST KNOW YOU

Rowland I don’t think we have met as yet sadly. I haven’t seen Kelvin for a few years since he was driving for the Italian’s - FT based at Swansea and I knew Mike Ward in the late 80’s early 90’s when he drove a 401 atki for Mr Mckenzie at Pentwyn Haulage, another nice man. I think Mike may be your cousin?.

yes ade mike is my cousin havent seen him for awhile my wife has she just sent him truck and driver coz im in it with my trucks regards rowland

Ade1970:

Ade1970:

This may seem strange but BLJ 28A is BHU 695V. Bob Long bought the plate as it stood for “Bob Long’s Juggernaut”. This was now 1997 and it also had an ERF grill fitted. Bob pulled low loaders for Andy Riseborough at Cambrian Plant. Shortly after DAFman Richie acquired the vehicle. Came to a halt by Tesco’s at Maesglas if I remember Richie. Ade

Nice pics Ade, I do remember the problem outside tescos on cardiff road but cant remember what the problem was?? was i out of fuel? if yes i can be forgiven as i was about 13 years old

I only got this 1 shot again late 1988. I knew him as Gary from Barry, surname possibly Sansome??. Traded as J Spanner which was his partners name. I think this used to go to Turkey for Cardiff International. It may spark a few memories.

richmond:

Ade1970:

blimey, thats agood one i havent seen that motor , or driver for a while boblong, allyou need now, is mcandrews driver, alan, chalky whites green transcon, and you will have the set… will post it for you soon, got a pic of his and mine on the beach at salou, i think…he was an owner driver fo mcandrews, but we let him in our gang cos he was such a nice guy, i have heard that he now drives for halfords out of redditch, maybe…all good men, who taught a young me how to do it. :smiley:

Karl, Another famous transcon i got down here used to belong to the late bill king subbing for daily transport services and later davies turner doin morroco, although alot of people thought it was scrapped i managed to save it, it still starts runs and drives fine, ill get some pictures on here of it,