Ford Transcontinental

Broadslide:

Tubbysboy:

Broadslide:
Ford used to badge their big cam models (post79) with an installed power so the intercooled engines at 370 badged 350 and 340 badged 320. The pre big cam engines were badged similarly but were slightly lower rated BHP so the intercooled engines were badged 340 and 310. The big chrome FORD letters on the front, if original would put it pre big cam, although many drivers put the old letters on the newer model which came with the blue oval. Any one any wiser? :frowning:

Pretty sure the mark 1 ( big ford letters on top half of cab) didn’t have any other badges with 320 or 335 or anything on them. Just the silver strip around the middle of the cab. The mark 2 ones (blue oval) had the strip but with 4428 (290 ■■■■■■■■ 3424 (240 ■■■■■■■■ 4432 (320) marked on them. My dad a 2 of the mark 1 and both were 335. Then several mark 2 ones. Mind you I could be probably completely wrong, if so I do apologize !

Hi Tubbysboy Yes you are right the early ones weren’t badged externally but were known as a 4224, 4227, 4231 & 4234. The big cam started with 44 and were badged on the door. IIRC the 335 engine was the one used in the 340.

The very very early ones as the one hidden in a Nissan Hut at the Ford on show week near Bedworth didn’t have a badge but the ones given to operators to try had the big Ford letters on the front.I used to see the orange on that Briddon tried coming through Derby and is pictured on the first brochure of the model.

Have just found this one, think it’s italian?

image by harryvr6, on Flickr

Sadly, rather ironically also found this one separately , and I think it may be the same truck?

Great, can’t post the picture up for some reason! It’s on my flickr page though…

harryvr6:
Have just found this one, think it’s italian?

Sadly, rather ironically also found this one separately , and I think it may be the same truck?

Great, can’t post the picture up for some reason! It’s on my flickr page though…

That’s a brilliant picture! The inset says ‘Ford Poids Lourds’ which is French for ‘Ford Lorries’, so it might be French. Robert

Thank you Robert! Must admit it is a rather good looking example isn’t it! Like I mentioned earlier when I originally attempted to upload this 2nd image, I think it may be the same truck here? Shame, but it still looks awesome!!

Wonder if it was the same, save for the red wheels?

Thanks, stew.

Hey, here in Belgium we had mostly the 308 and 340hp DIN in the first version, later the 320 and 352.
But what about the Italian version ■■? the 340 was first showed there as a 352 and must have still the small cam ■■? at that time. 44 tons 8hp legislation from '77 on. Normally only Scania was up to date with it’s 141.
MB sold as normal the ■■32 with a longer stroke engine V10 of 352hp.
Who knows more ■■?

Eric,

In answer to queries about the Italian spec Transcon, I’ve just posted a cutting from Commercial Motor 4th March 1977 on the ‘LHD Ford Transcontinentals’ thread. Robert :slight_smile:

harryvr6:
Thank you Robert! Must admit it is a rather good looking example isn’t it! Like I mentioned earlier when I originally attempted to upload this 2nd image, I think it may be the same truck here? Shame, but it still looks awesome!!

Wonder if it was the same, save for the red wheels?

Thanks, stew.

The second one has what appears to be an extended cab. It looks a lot older than the first one, so the modification could have been done after the first photo, I suppose.

f

IMG_NEW.jpg

f

Probably Ken Trowell’ most famous Transcon’ :smiley: Regards Chris

Given a more close rank

Some info on the kit to convert NTC335 to NTC350

ERF-Continental:
Some info on the kit to convert NTC335 to NTC350

Nice one!

Just add aftercooler, stir well and put back on the hob. Robert

Lance Biscomb:
yes that’s the firm most of them converted into 6x2 rear lifts most of them in battleship grey what happened to them

they went bust they called lds now

With the extra roof-skin & light guards/mesh, looks like this old girl was built for far-off warm climates! Regards Chris

IMG_NEW.jpg

Unusual spec on the 6-wheeler (rigid), particularly for the UK! Chris

IMG_0001_NEW.jpg

Ade1970:

Paul John:

Ade1970:
Could be LVX 939V, not sure DJF 135T comes to mind also

Good old shots there Ade, fairplay. There used to be a bunch running around on the furniture contracts, and Bells in their 2nd or 3rd lives.
One of Kelvins motors, F10 used to be parked in LLanbradach, always with a TIP curtainsider.
Does anyone remember Adrian Daniels, ran a white F10 on the furniture. I think he was from Tonyrefil.

Thanks Paul, Steve’s pictures of the Transcon’s are superb also. I put this picture on the Scania thread of the yard shunter at TIP Wolverhampton. My “T” reg RS 2000 Custom is in the background, you may remember it. I think you had a V reg at the time? Ade.

I was just flicking back through this thread Paul. I was too young at 19 Paul to have a Transcon so had the RS2000 instead. Only the 4 speed and i’m sure your fine example was the 5 speed from memory. I think I remember Adrian Daniels. I think he had an XR2 back then and was subbing Rockwool work for Malcolm Green back in the day. Hope all is well.[attachment=0]RS2000 CUSTOM 4.jpeg

Ade1970 I’m sure I remember Adrian subbing to Malcolm Greene wat a bunch of head cases whippet greeny Antony in office my brother and many more crazy days good bunch though hope your well ps has Bobby retired yet regards rowly

Saw an old one sitting in a market garden in Angers this morning