Ford Transcontinental

In Norway a 6x2.

i remember a firm round Tonbridge area “Show haul” ? that had really late Transcons maybe left hookers ? really nice blue and white from memory

A WARD:
i remember a firm round Tonbridge area “Show haul” ? that had really late Transcons maybe left hookers ? really nice blue and white from memory

These?

thats the one ! what happened to them any idea ?

Can anyone confirm that Rowly’s Transcon has a 290 ■■■■■■■ or 350? Cheers! Robert

hi Robert 52 my transcon not a 290 think its a350 but not sure but I been told its a 340 and im not the brain of Britain on transcons since I bought it it went to gaydon and straight in to lockup.havent even had cab over coz I got bad leg and to busy but it wont be long and ill know a lot more I cant waite to drive it regards rowly

rward:
hi Robert 52 my transcon not a 290 think its a350 but not sure but I been told its a 340 and im not the brain of Britain on transcons since I bought it it went to gaydon and straight in to lockup.havent even had cab over coz I got bad leg and to busy but it wont be long and ill know a lot more I cant waite to drive it regards rowly

If you were told its a 340 it’s possible that it’s a small cam NTC 335 (lovely engine). Either way it sounds as if you’ve got a 14-litre ■■■■■■■ straight-six there - can’t go wrong with that! Cheers Rowly! Robert :smiley:

If it is a 340, then it is a “Ford special” ntc355. 342bhp to BS141Au, IIRC. However, after all that time on holiday, it could have anything in it.

anorak the reason I said im not sure is because I was told from the start by owner it was aspecialmaybe x model engine and I know the greeks will change things but believe me this straight I even got the chassi plate unlike my f89 that’s intriguing engine.any remarks will be welcome regards rowly

[zb]
anorak:
If it is a 340, then it is a “Ford special” ntc355. 342bhp to BS141Au, IIRC. However, after all that time on holiday, it could have anything in it.

Thanks Anorak! I’d forgotten about that option. Robert :slight_smile:

Ford used to badge their big cam models (post79) with an installed power so the intercooled engines at 370 badged 350 and 340 badged 320. The pre big cam engines were badged similarly but were slightly lower rated BHP so the intercooled engines were badged 340 and 310. The big chrome FORD letters on the front, if original would put it pre big cam, although many drivers put the old letters on the newer model which came with the blue oval. Any one any wiser? :frowning:

Broadslide:
Ford used to badge their big cam models (post79) with an installed power so the intercooled engines at 370 badged 350 and 340 badged 320. The pre big cam engines were badged similarly but were slightly lower rated BHP so the intercooled engines were badged 340 and 310. The big chrome FORD letters on the front, if original would put it pre big cam, although many drivers put the old letters on the newer model which came with the blue oval. Any one any wiser? :frowning:

Pretty sure the mark 1 ( big ford letters on top half of cab) didn’t have any other badges with 320 or 335 or anything on them. Just the silver strip around the middle of the cab. The mark 2 ones (blue oval) had the strip but with 4428 (290 ■■■■■■■■ 3424 (240 ■■■■■■■■ 4432 (320) marked on them. My dad a 2 of the mark 1 and both were 335. Then several mark 2 ones. Mind you I could be probably completely wrong, if so I do apologize !

well my transcon got big silver letters chrome band and no engine size badge where am I regards rowly

rward:
well my transcon got big silver letters chrome band and no engine size badge where am I regards rowly

Big silver letters that read DORF??

David

I don’t know if it been that far

5thwheel:

rward:

Big silver letters that read DORF??

David

I wonder if any Saudi customs official ever processed a DORF, a FROD, a DROF, an ORDF, and a FODR all in one morning! :laughing:

PS I understand that some drivers took the letters off altogether and declared the lorry a ■■■■■■■■ Robert :slight_smile:

Tubbysboy:

Broadslide:

Pretty sure the mark 1 ( big ford letters on top half of cab) didn’t have any other badges with 320 or 335 or anything on them. Just the silver strip around the middle of the cab. The mark 2 ones (blue oval) had the strip but with 4428 (290 ■■■■■■■■ 3424 (240 ■■■■■■■■ 4432 (320) marked on them. My dad a 2 of the mark 1 and both were 335. Then several mark 2 ones. Mind you I could be probably completely wrong, if so I do apologize !

Hi Tubbysboy Yes you are right the early ones weren’t badged externally but were known as a 4224, 4227, 4231 & 4234. The big cam started with 44 and were badged on the door. IIRC the 335 engine was the one used in the 340.

Anorak suggests the 340 ■■■■■■■ in the Transcon was derived from the NTC 355 and Broadside says NTC 335. As far as I can work out they are both right. I checked Patrick Dyer’s book on the Transcon and he states that the 340s were NTCs with aftercooling. Well, we know that the ■■■■■■■ 350 was a turbo NTC 335 with aftercooling, so this appears to be (as Anorak suggested) a Ford-spec ■■■■■■■ NTC.

Incidentally, as I think I said earlier on this thread, the 350 Transcon I drove was (unlimited) about the fastest lorry I ever drove! Robert :slight_smile:

There is more detailed discussion on ■■■■■■■ engines in Transcons elsewhere on the forum. The engines in the Mk1 Transcon were sometimes a bit different to the standard offering, especially the 250. The badges referred to the net output, whereas ■■■■■■■ used to quote gross. Ford was uncommonly honest in this regard, especially when you consider that some makes used to quote the wildly optimistic SAE figure.

IIRC, the NTC335 was fitted inthe 4231 model, IE about 310 net bhp. The NTC355 was the 4234 engine and the 290 was in the 4227. Some of this may be wrong! :laughing:

robert1952:
as I think I said earlier on this thread, the 350 Transcon I drove was (unlimited) about the fastest lorry I ever drove! Robert :slight_smile:

my father’s 1975 P reg Transcon had the ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 and 13 speed fuller and i can confirm it was fast!!! (80+ mph with ease :open_mouth: )
brakes were a different matter!!
of all the lorries my father owned,he told me he really felt that he’d made it as a haulier when he chopped his Scania in for the Transcon!!! by far his favourite of all the motors he owned(still has a massive soft spot for all the Bedfords he owned along the way though!!)