Fire engine back from Switzerland

you will find the law regarding the use of an emergency frontline vehicle are a can of worms for legal crucifixion regarding blues and twos to start with.even if they are not being used,they should be disconnected at point of sale with preferraly the bues covered in ducktape or removed,but as soon as you do that,you attract the wrong attention.google it yourself and see.
i bought an ambulance a while ago and drove if from uk to ireland with no greif,but i wore a blue fleece,and made my misses wear a blue blouse.
no greif even on the ferries as most plod havent a clue,but if you get an equivelant to angus nairn,then he will know whats what,and the crucifixion will begin.
if it was me,id just lift it,and drive sensibly and look the part.
despite my better judgement i only played with the blues and sirens when i was heading for the ferry,and over on this side coming down the road at night.
highly impressive and they should be an optional extra for every tang truck using the ferry ports.

Just wing it. :grimacing:

I don’t understand all of this stuff. If it’s privately owned and not a commercial vehicle why is all of this b/sht necessary ? If your campervan weighed 12T and looked like a fire engine what’s the difference ? If it 's a private vehicle who cares what it looks like? Commercial vehicles are regularly converted to private vehicles.

Blimey a lot of you lads are being unnecessarily negative! Just drive it back it’ll be fine. Europe really isn’t the wild west

switchlogic:
Blimey a lot of you lads are being unnecessarily negative! Just drive it back it’ll be fine. Europe really isn’t the wild west

^
this
Too much worry over rules and regs which most poilce forces wont even bother you with. You may get asked questions at the Swiss border but with the paperwork for the truck you’ll have no problem…

onesock:
I don’t understand all of this stuff. If it’s privately owned and not a commercial vehicle why is all of this b/sht necessary ? If your campervan weighed 12T and looked like a fire engine what’s the difference ? If it 's a private vehicle who cares what it looks like? Commercial vehicles are regularly converted to private vehicles.

the difference is that its registered as an emergency vehichle and if not used as such then the legislation is a nightmare starting with the blues and twos…
probably most cops wont want to dig,and the only problem will be coming off the ferry at hull,or killingholme where the beancounters will be.
light her up,and heavy pedal for the boat…wing it as you go…

Make sure there is no Swiss water left in it or you will need to get custom documents prepared. [emoji602]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i was driving it, i would make sure the blues are working and the horns in sync…then approaching the dock gate, or a traffic jam…put them on and go around everyone…ha ha

dieseldog999:

onesock:

the difference is that its registered as an emergency vehichle and if not used as such then the legislation is a nightmare starting with the blues and twos…
probably most cops wont want to dig,and the only problem will be coming off the ferry at hull,or killingholme where the beancounters will be.
light her up,and heavy pedal for the boat…wing it as you go…

The Blue and twos aren’t a nightmare, I’ve seen Historic Emergency vehicles and even current ones being moved by non Emergency personnel, being driven in various parts of Europe and all they do is cover the lights and I suppose they disconnect the sirens, simple.
I’m sure that most coppers will simply stop you out of curiosity, ask what you are doing, if you got a plausible reason for being there they’re not going to waste time digging further, they’ve got bigger fish to go after, I get this all the time with what I do, be polite, answer the questions, let them look inside the trailer if it’s feasible, shake hands off you go.

Of course you might be unlucky and get the picky copper, well it wouldn’t matter what you’re driving and how good the paperwork is, those type will always find something.

see how far you can plough through this link,and its only regarding the lights on a vehicle.
eventually if you get there,you will see this gem,though the rest of it just goes round in circles.
its even more interesting when your not a fireman driving a fire engine,or a anorak with a vintage one.

ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/

Preserved Emergency Vehicles

Preserved emergency vehicles are not officially permitted to have blue lights attached to them when on the road, even if they are completely covered up and inoperable. Usually common sense prevails and if there is no way of being able to see the blue light unit then the police are happy. In 2008 a petition was created to change this law to the ‘common sense’ definition.

dieseldog999:
see how far you can plough through this link,and its only regarding the lights on a vehicle.
eventually if you get there,you will see this gem,though the rest of it just goes round in circles.
its even more interesting when your not a fireman driving a fire engine,or a anorak with a vintage one.

ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/

Preserved Emergency Vehicles

Preserved emergency vehicles are not officially permitted to have blue lights attached to them when on the road, even if they are completely covered up and inoperable. Usually common sense prevails and if there is no way of being able to see the blue light unit then the police are happy. In 2008 a petition was created to change this law to the ‘common sense’ definition.

I think I’ve highlighted the important phrase in that.

This caught my attention, it appears that many truck drivers, especially those who spend a lot of time in RDC waiting rooms, can have blue lights on their vehicles and exceed the speed limit, but only when dealing with matters of urgent national security. :laughing:

The main change introduced in 2011 was that vehicles used by military special forces (including the SAS) are permitted the same dispensations as police emergency vehicles. This means they can use blue lights and sirens and can disregard speed limits and other road signs when safe. The Special Forces can only use these powers when attending a matter of urgent national security. This change is shown in the main document below where appropriate.

Even the motorway patrol and gritters use blue lights in France. Drive the bloody thing home in shorts, keep your Bobbies helmet handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’ll probably apply when the office tells you the load of cornflakes you’re carrying is “urgent” then?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I sold the beacons and the siren from my old fire truck. The only thing I have left on it is the alternating flashing headlights. They can make a driver drop a phone quicker than gravity.