Moving to France

Can anyone give me some advice!
We are hiring an 18T rigid box to move a work colleague to France in July and I am unsure of the following!
1: what is the story with driving a vehicle of this size on a Sunday and at night in France, I seem to remember something about its a no no!
2: Any advice on the cheapest way of getting the motor across the Channel, ferry, tunnel etc.
3: It’s a personal run but I will run with a tacho in France just to cover all bases etc. but do i really need to run with one in Britain or is it again best to use one just to keep everyone happy.
4:Any idea of a good route down to Limoges and any tolls involved.
Realise its a long one but thanks in advance

Hi Stuboy, welcome to TruckNetUK.

About half way down this forum, you will find a thread which answers most of your questions. The only difference is the size of the wagon you will be taking.
That thread is [u]Here[/u]. :open_mouth: :laughing:

As most of us are commercial (40tonner) drivers, the advise we give is based on that experience. So, if its good for a 40t and a 7.5 t then it should equaly apply to a wagon which falls in the middle. However, in Europe, the big change between little wagons and big ones is at 12t, I think. You would be in the big size. Routes are what we drive so will be no problem for you, other than the navigation side, which is straightforward enough really.

As for the specifics. Driving a commercial wagon in France on a Sunday is a no-no, how that would apply to a private hire on a private job in an 18tonner I don’t know. The ban is from 2200 Sat night to 2200 Sunday night European time. The rest of the week, drive whenever you like, or are able.
If you are going to put a Tacho in for France, I would say you need to use tachoes for the whole journey. Its less than a days drive from Zeebrugge to Limoge and one isolated days tacho means absolutely nothing without the previous ones.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Simon

From your post you appear to be in Scotland, do you have any info on the ferries from Rosyth, the guy we are moving lives in Falkirk so it might be easier to go from Rosyth rather than driving to the south coast!
If ferries go to Zeebrugge whats the story for buying this road tax in Belgium

Stu

I think you can still get Road Tax at Zeeebrugge, There was the problem of getting it in the early days and we had to buy it in Oostende. Im fairly sure that TTZ do it now.

What is it with Limoges?

is there a lot of cheap homes there?

Try this site for info on ferries: www.superfast.com

I use the Superfast to Zeeby fairly often. It must be a cost effective alternative, taking into account wear and tear, fuel, driving hours available etc, or there wouldn’t be any frieght on it. It is rather a nuisance because of the arrival time in Zeeby though.
It sails from Rosyth at 5pm UK time and you need to be booked on at least an hour before departure, unless you are booked on and paid up, previously. Even then they like you on the quay in plenty of time. A berth and meals are included in the price of a freight ticket.
It arrives in Zeeby for about 1030am European time. The nuisance factor is that, starting a full shift so late in the day means that you park up late. That can be difficult, because most people park up far earlier and parking spaces can be very limited.
As you should be able to do Zeebrugge to Limoge in a good bit under 9hrs driving, that shouldn’t be a problem for you.
You can get the Vignette at the Total, which is on the way out of Zeeby, in the ‘Transport Zone’, on the right of the Brugge road. It costs €8 a day.
You will be on the Brugge road heading for France so you won’t be going out of your way. Ask any of the drivers in the Truck Drivers Lounge, in the restaraunt. Not that its at all complicated, but if someone is heading the same way as you they would probably keep with you to the autoroute exit you want, always a confidence booster. :sunglasses:

Thanks Simon

Don’t suppose you can give me a good route down there and do you have an idea of tolls costs.
Also, for the return journey if we miss the boat back what are they like for getting on on the spot the next day, we will be paid up in advance and booked on a return boat but just in case it all goes to pot!!!

Stu

There is a choice of routes on the thread which is under the blue Here, on the first answer I gave you.
I’me afraid I’ve got no idea about how you stand if you miss the boat, there is only one Superfast sailing per day ( thats if both boats are running now). You would be better to ask them direct as well meaning but wrong info would cause you a lot of Problems. Their website is Here. The contact details are well down the bottom of the ‘How to Book’ page, once you get onto the ‘Rosyth’ page
To get to the site, hover your mouse pointer over the blue Here and when your pointer changes, click as set for your mouse.

Stu
Want to contact me?? We are moving (well hope to) end of June/start of July… to Limoge… as per the “other” thread…
Si (whitmos@wyeth.com)