Tacho regs

We have a unit with the old style disc tachos that is registered as private commercial as we don’t use it for business (just for moving our old lorries/steam roller around with). When we do this we use the tacho and driving hours etc. I’m winter though we take it out for the odd very short run just to keep things moving and again we always use a tacho. Recently someone said that we didn’t need a tacho in if we are just doing very short journeys. I am suspicious, has anyone else heard of this?

had a quick look at the regulations, there is an exemption is the vehicle is over 25 years old on the day that it is being driven, apart from that I cannot see anything that would exempt you from not using a tacho.

Something someone has suggested is if I have the unit on its own I do not fall under eu regs and therefore don’t need one. Still not convinced however.

it going to fall into the area that the private horsebox owner fell into after the change in the regulations, if its plated over 7.5 tonne you have to use a tachograph when the vehicle is driven on the public highway, even for private use.

It’s a vehicle that’s generally used to carry goods in-scope of EU regulations so I would doubt that it would be out of scope when you drive it empty on odd occasions, to be honest for the sake of the odd short journey I’d play safe and use the tachograph, I think you’re legally required to anyway.

Yea, if there was something that clearly said I didn’t need to use one then I wouldnt, simply to save filling one out to nip 2 miles down the road. As it is a grey area at best I will just carry on using them.