Please help with unusual situation!

Hi Everyone.
I have a bit of a strange, mixed up situation that I was wondering if someone could advise me on please…
An American charity that runs a mobile studio built into a bus in America has bought a brand new Mercedes Actros 6 in Europe to start up operations over here. The vehicle is converted into a mobile studio with push-outs etc. and is registered as a mobile home. Including myself (the driver) there will be max. 4 people travelling on the vehicle at all times. The charity will be registered as a business in Switzerland and the truck will have Swiss plates. There will not be a base for the truck in Switzerland, it will be on the road 10 months of the year and in it’s down-time will either be parked in Ketterer Trucks in Karlsruhe, Germany or in Sony in Basingstoke, UK.
Now, the truck obviously has a digital tachograph. I understand that there is no longer exceptions made for 7.5t+ for private use, and I am not sure that would apply here anyway.

So here are my questions :

1. Will the charity have to become an operator to run this vehicle? Can they run it on someone else’s operator’s license and still have the truck registered in Switzerland?
  2. As it is a mobile home, can it be driven without an operator’s license?
  3. What are the requirements for downloading data from the tachograph and my card for the charity?
  4. If they do NOT have to be an operator, how do they go about getting a company tacho card for downloading?
  5. Can anyone recommend the cheapest way to stay legal with the downloading for one vehicle and one driver?

Plus can anyone see any vital piece of the puzzle that I have over-looked?!

Thanks very much.
Scott.

Can’t vouch for Swiss registered vehicles, but in the UK if it’s registered as a motorhome, it’s a motorhome and they don’t fall under tachograph rules.

Derf:
Can’t vouch for Swiss registered vehicles, but in the UK if it’s registered as a motorhome, it’s a motorhome and they don’t fall under tachograph rules.

But I will still need my card in to drive it? I worry mainly because of trying to explain to the first French policeman that stops me that the 26t vehicle with a 9t trailer in front of him doesn’t need to be treated as a truck!

Anyone?

sparhawk12345:

Derf:

But I will still need my card in to drive it? I worry mainly because of trying to explain to the first French policeman that stops me that the 26t vehicle with a 9t trailer in front of him doesn’t need to be treated as a truck!

Now, the truck obviously has a digital tachograph. I understand that there is no longer exceptions made for 7.5t+ for private use, and I am not sure that would apply here anyway.

Do you wann start again and make things clear :open_mouth:

You’ve gone from a 7.5t truck for private use to a 26t vehicle with a 9t trailer so which is it because there is a big difference between 7.5t and a gross of 35t .

Ah just read ur post again would have been better to have said no exceptions made for vehicles over 7.5t

Could be wrong here, but last time i looked Switzerland wasnt one of the EU member states, they have there own laws etc but would have to adhere to EU directives if driving in it…

Be patient someone will answer your post eventually. It’s a bit too complicated for me to answer though.

Personally As its a Swiss registered vehicle operated from Switzerland, and it only going to be parked for 2 months a year between germany and the UK, I’d get it all legal in Switzerland and not worry about British O’licence. For more advice for operating a vehicle like that across Europe from Switzerland, talk to a Swiss Motorsport team. You could try Jenzer, their GP3 Truckie was an English lad called Ben, but not sure if he’s still there. They might even be able to help with somewhere to park it in Switzerland and save you any hassle.

From my past experience with a charity that had their own artics they neither had an o-licence or used tachos. I would think that nowadays they will have to use the tacho in anything over 7.5t (I don’t know what the deal would be with tacho calibrations etc but would assume if not now mandatory ought to be done for a quiet life). If the driving is done by volunteers on 7.5t+ they will theoretically have to take the required rest from their day jobs which is ludicrously considered other work.

The company I worked for did MOTs and prep for them as a donation and also inspections immediately before they took them out as they were effectively mothballed for long periods as they only took them out a couple of times a year, if that, they did take them all across Europe though.

I’m not sure if this applies as like someone already mentioned Switzerland is AETR therefore slightly different rules apply, but in Europe under Exemptions and Derrogations there is an exemption for converted vehicles such as play buses which may apply. I would suggest contacting someone like the FTA or VOSA and asking their advice as it’s not really something you can afford to get wrong.

Hi
I know the truck will be registered in Switzerland and NOT EU Registered, but unless you can get Vehicle Approval (IVA) certificate from Switzerland and carry an tacho exemption certificate!! I think your be asking for trouble,

Other-wise you gonna need to run with tacho in. and probably under a O Licence and But I could be wrong!!!

If you are parking at Ketterer why not register it in Germany? Yes you can still have private hgv but, there are no longer any tacho exemptions! You must run with your card in at all times but, you are not obliged to keep records like an operator, mot only once a year, no pmi’s etc. the plus side is by registering as a motor home you do not have to pay maut and you can set the limiter to 115kmph! Ketterer are well up on this as horseboxes in Germany are registered like this. The issue I think you are referring to is since 2007? Private hgv is no longer tacho exempt. The authorities abroad are well used to seeing these sort of vehicles as like I say most horseboxes are registered this way. Hope that helps!

Sorry having red above again, yes tacho calibrations must be done. I drive a German registered Ketterer that lost a front number plate. In Germany you can not just get a replacement you must re register! Then due to being a different reg it needed to be done at merc in Swindon. The conversation regarding its more than my job’s worth to set it above 85kh and Germany instructing them to set it at 115kh was priceless. The Germans won that battle!

Are you going to be emplöyed by the charity? if so and you dont drive under tacho rules,you are going to have to keep a log book running to satisfey the Germans over working time (WTD)

Most main dealers download the tacho and drivers card, We as Daf dealers charge 25€ for the drivers card and 40€ for the head.

Geoff

I’ve been using a German registered horsebox in Europe for years and it’s never had a card in the head but a few of the others have had a problem when going through the UK and have had to get a local driver with a digi card to run their trucks down to Dover as Vostapo doesn’t accept their status unlike all other EU countries, with regard to the limiter their nearly all set at 100 km/hr same as coaches and can use the outside lane on a 3 lane highway though I don’t do this as its inviting a pull and that just wastes more time than waiting for a clear run in the middle lane.