Favourite Roadside Cafes for Drivers

robroy:

Washwipe:
Doug’s Diner as I understand it became Annie’s Kitchen, make sure you give them a ring before you go out of your way to go there, I was in there last Friday morning, the current owner was sat having his breakfast, when finished got up from his chair, walked in to the kitchen and informed them all he was shutting it down in two weeks time.
What a way to treat your staff.

Looks like a lot of drivers shared my opinion then.
It’s a pity, it was one of the best and was a little goldmine.
The ex.owner used to open it for the locals at wk.ends.
Another good one goes.

Heading back home from Falkirk I will Start using Jct 38 truck stop if Annie’s closes
nay bother because it’s one of my favourites.

Thanks for the contributions so far. I’m going to collate the best ones that I can find photos and information on into an article in the next few weeks.

Feel free to keep making suggestions and provide some photos, addresses and food recommendations if you can :smiley:

been a couple of year’s since I’ve been up that way but six hill’s café on the a46 n/b out of Leicester was a great brekkie full monty 2 toast and tea about a 5iver. don’t know if it.s still going as it was up for sale last timei went in…

Smokey Joes - love their t bone steaks (mostly covered by parking ticket)
PJM - all the food is top notch and included in parking
Red Moss hotel - decent food and included in parking

The article “12 Favourite Roadside Cafes & Pubs” is now live on our website blog (with name mentions :smiley: ) if you would like to take a look.

Thanks to everyone who made a recommendation. Apologies if I didn’t include yours this time. Look out for Part 2 in the future.

ballinluig moter grill on the a9. good food at decent prices and free overnight parking

Is the big layby at Appleton Thorn still there? There used to be a really nice pub with good food only around 100m away. Used to sometimes overnight there if loading/loaded with soap powder out of Lever bros…

Top of the Wolds cafe in Grimsby Road, Caistor. Home made cakes, a coal fire, friendly staff and good grub. I’ve only been in there once but if I was passing nearby I’d be back like a shot!

Markyboy1008:
The A1 Truckstop Diner, Bourne Road, Colsterworth, Grantham NG33 5JN has to be mine.
I have been stopping here for years and never been disappointed.

Very friendly staff, great portions and a second cup of tea or coffee free. A good choice and some great breakfasts. :smiley:

+1 trio recruiting you said.
Had no qualms about taking my lad in there when he was in the lorry with me last year.
The girl behind the counter even let me take a picture of her to show my niece, because I thought she liked like her!
I had the large breakfast, my lad had the er ‘small’. All piping hot and no greasey lakes.

Intake/l39:

robroy:

Washwipe:
Doug’s Diner as I understand it became Annie’s Kitchen, make sure you give them a ring before you go out of your way to go there, I was in there last Friday morning, the current owner was sat having his breakfast, when finished got up from his chair, walked in to the kitchen and informed them all he was shutting it down in two weeks time.
What a way to treat your staff.

Looks like a lot of drivers shared my opinion then.
It’s a pity, it was one of the best and was a little goldmine.
The ex.owner used to open it for the locals at wk.ends.
Another good one goes.

Heading back home from Falkirk I will Start using Jct 38 truck stop if Annie’s closes
nay bother because it’s one of my favourites.

It seems that Annie’s may be open again, was just around the corner from it earlier this week, a new ABoard was on the junction saying it was open from 8 till 2, maybe a buy out or under new management?
When I have more time will have a look unless anyone else has a peep.

Just having breakfast there…now.
Spot on

In fact,it’s straight into my top 3

McDonald’s?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

$$$:
Smokey Joes - love their t bone steaks (mostly covered by parking ticket)
PJM - all the food is top notch and included in parking
Red Moss hotel - decent food and included in parking

So is that a Big parking ticket or a small t bone steak?

commonrail:

New management or same lot?

not been in cafes for over 5 yrs now,but my favourite used to be the one at Wrotham kent [can’t remember the name] J2 M26,nice food, good tea,and good parking,still miss it,one day I will go back there if it’s still there

robroy:

commonrail:

New management or same lot?

First time i’ve been in,it’s called Annie’s cafe now.
Open 8-2
There are snap adverts in the window,and there was a truck parked up…with the curtains shut.
Best breakfast iv’e had in a long time…and there was a group of working lads on the opposite table who seemed to be in agreement.

Oakdene Cafe Wrotham. Still there, but I don’t know what it’s like now.

the man asked for peoples opinion about their chosen stopover, why can we not just reply with his request, regardless of what shape you think a driver should be , i thought this was going to be a good way to see some of the out of the way places that did a turn for drivers without a regular route who are always looking for decent food and parking,

It’s not really roadside as such in so much as you need to be in area really (I was tipping at coldstore round corner) but The Cellar Cafe in Braintree served me the closest I’ve ever had to the prefect fry up. It was fantastic and have wanted to go back since. Favorite roadside ones are Chippenham Truck Stop and The Lazy Kettle at Chirk. Both serve food lovely enough to tempt me away from cooking for myself, my usual first choice