Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Wrong Chazzer until you cross the Bosphoros you re still in Europe however you re quit e right it does deserve amention, Sherafa. Crow.Srry chazzer you are right did nt read your post properly.

chazzer:
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the last stopping place in europe before entering asia; the Mocamp where virtually everyone who went to the middle east stopped, plus the Harem although we are now in asia so it does’nt really count on this thread…

Well if we are going to nit pick :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The Mocamp wasn’t the last place in Europe to get a good feed, what about The Pudding Shop :stuck_out_tongue: .
There was a place in Poland on the way to Gdansk called The Totom Poles :confused: , I dont know how it got it’s name maybe it had something to do with some Totoms Poles with Red Indian heads carved on them in the carpark. Can’t say the food was that great but they made a loverly bowl of soup out of an old pair of leather boots :laughing: .
Yes Crow have to agree that Blue Bay in Greece was a favourite of mine along with the one on the beach at Kavala.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Jayat eh Jacko commonly known as the Dust Bowl 4 out of 10 on my list of restaurants. Lets go considerably further East. the Log Cabin not far away from Praha good food excellent draught Budvar the original not that yankee crap,Devet Krizu near Domosov, Breclav ,Malacky,Hotel Rajka,Hotel Wien for those who dont know we re in Hungary now Windmill ,Whitehouse, Nacional Belgrade, Motel Nis , Motel Athena,into Greece Evzoni Polykastro,Km155 Blue Bay excellent,Peters truckstop,we could go on and on Harbour Inn, we couldSTILL go on and on. I tell you what we wagon drivers could do a ■■■■ sight better than all these travel round Europe TV programmes.Regards to all CROW.And sorry John yes we did stop at that Whitehouse nr. Laon.

Cheb Hotel was always good for a brawl, or a shag, sometimes both!

Well remembered Wheelnut I d forgotten about Cheb hotel don t know why butI do remember Ritchie Thornes brother Sammy getting his head kicked in by the locals after annoying them. Only went in the Pudding shop once Steve with my wife Susan and strangely enough with Ritchie Thorne after a visit to the Blue Mosque which is not amillion miles from there.Also one we ve all forgotten Marias on the x roads just before Ipsala from where as previously said I picked up that Middle East Minerals Scania. There were also quite afew in Turkey whose names and locations i ve convenientlyforgotten. Probably a glass or two of Raki or Efes will bring recall. Regards to all onetime fellow travellers .Crow.

le mistrals ( footballers) :smiley:

no ones mentioned the old cement works at prato calenzano :open_mouth:

Every one has their favourite restaurant some where, among the many I’ve known, my particular favourite was the Auberge du Col du Bonhomme on top of the Col du Bonhomme France a friendly place to eat, and on a cold winters night a good place to warm up, and spend a pleasant evening in the company of other drivers be they Brits, Dutch, French, Swiss, or whoever, the old lady who owned it was always friendly and welcoming, she was renowned by the drivers that stopped there for her locally caught trout served with roast sliced almonds, making my mouth water just thinking of it, and finishing off with a local cheese called Munster Kase, stunk like a dead polecat that been in the sun for two weeks, but get it past your nose and the taste was like heaven, plus a couple of coffee calvados and you where set up for a long night drive, if when you left you where stuck in the snow she would send the waiters out with buckets of cinders from the fires to put under your wheels, you never got stuck there. A lovely lady who I don’t think is with us anymore, but the restaurant is still there.

Ossie

Another place that always gets my vote-Gran Buffet Cambrils

& who can forget “Upstairs Downstairs” at Nules on the N340
By the way what was upstairs■■?

Wheel Nut:
Cheb Hotel was always good for a brawl, or a shag, sometimes both!

Often with the same bird eh Malc? :grimacing: The Riders at Siedlce deserves a mention, last/first stop in civilisation before entering or leaving Mother Russia - much lager consumed to wash down the Ruskie dust on the way home

It was so good I once bumped into a colleague there early hours one Saturday morning, who had tipped ICI gear in Poznan and was reloading Luneburg on the Monday :open_mouth: His face was a picture when I (jokingly) told him I’d mentioned his location on the satellite to the office, before he had surfaced to sample Friday night’s resultant hangover :laughing: Briliant thread with loads of good memories from all over Europe - keep 'em coming chaps

JohnyRose63:

Dont forget Victor,s at calenzano there was always some brit,s in there waiting to tip or load in Prato, and just through the lights heading to prato turn left , under the bridge and on the right past euro express was a bar we called the glasshouse.

jacko22:
Another place that always gets my vote-Gran Buffet Cambrils
& who can forget “Upstairs Downstairs” at Nules on the N340
By the way what was upstairs■■?

Huge steaks to be had there, and a nice massive buffet

Newmercman and Jacko22 both mentioned the Rally Route south of Avallon, am I mistaken but was’nt that the routiers that the SCA boys used to do their trailer changes, always a couple of their drivers in there any week night.

I must admit that I wasn’t a great lover of The Wally Stop apart from the mussels and chips night on, was it Tuesday or Wednesday :confused: .
I much prefered using the Aachen Nord border into Holland especially if I had loaded in West Germany and I had to get the T forms started.
It was always a great feeling knowing that my next stop would be Zeebrugge or Rotterdam and so a plate of frikkadellen and chips and a small draught Heinekin was a reminder that this time tomorrow I could be home. Does anybody remember the paper place mats that they used to put on the table when you ordered a meal. It had a picture of a big American truck with pictures of all the european flags around the edge and the words “enjoy your meal” in all the differant languages.
There were some good road houses in Holland so I thought I would show you a couple of stickers that Colin (Trubrit) sent to me some time ago, thanks Colin :smiley: .

Regards Steve.

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned Eurostop on the French side of the Strasbourg/Kehl border. Brash bright and modern it was but always full of truckies in my Iran Container days. The rooms were comfortable, French motorway standard food but the bar was well stocked and the jukebox had several T-Rex records on it including Jeepster my favourite at the time.

Massive parking area around which a Southampton driver introduced me to the delights of the range change Berliet. Bliss after the Mack Quadruplex. I always used to wonder, “What do these cosseted drivers do all day without two sticks and 24 gears to work through and continuously remember?”

Thats the one Chazzer, good place and a snake in a bottle!

Here,s a shot i took about 20 years ago of the restaraunt at Montibello

For those who used the old road from Bourg to Nantua there was the restaurant next to railway station in Pont D’Ain, a bit noisy at night being right by the railway line but the Beouf Bourginogne was exceptional, then there was the Le Panoramique at the top of the Cerdon, I never actually ate in there but for a coffee and to sit and look out over the valley was well worth the stop, you could see trucks wending their way up the twisty road for miles. Another good routiers was in Maillat just before the Autoroute junction at Le Relax hotel and restaurant where I spent a couple of days with a turbo seal gone on the Transcon. There was a Ford truck garage within walking distance but a few calls to ■■■■■■■ France yielded no results unless I wanted to spend a week there while they sent a new turbo, presumably par bycyclette as it was only coming from Lyon. However a call to my local ■■■■■■■ dealer who had a suitable turbo on the shelf followed by a call to ACH (Aston Clinto Haulage) who said they would get the next truck to Italy to drop it off. As it was wintertime with some snow on the ground (in the days when it actually snowed there) I had a couple of pleasant nights sleep in the hotel for about 100 FF per night as I did’nt want to run the truck to much with the oil seal gone or flatten the battery with the night heater. New turbo duly arrived on the third day, changed in a couple of hours and on my way. Presumably as they still show large truck parks on Google maps France with trucks on them they are still well frequented by drivers.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
My favourite always was the Bakehouse at St Cyr sur Menthon everyone who did Italy in the early 70s will remember it another one was the Monkeyhouse top of the hill coming north from Bellegard there were so many it s hard to choose a favourite but mine will always be the Bakehouse. Crow.

HI GEOFF THAT WAS MY FAVOURITE, BIT OF A TIGHT PLACE TO PARK BUT IT WAS ALWAYS GOOD FOOD AND A BIT OF FUN WITH THE GIRL,S THAT WORKED THERE CANT REMEMBER THERE NAME,S BUT I WORKED FOR SWAINS OF STRETTON IN THE 70/80 AND I GOT WEEKENDED AT THE BAKEHOUSE AND LEFT AT 10 TO GO TO ITALY BUT I DID NOT MAKE IT TO BOLOGNA AS I HAD A BAD ACCIDENT WHEN A ITALIAN TRUCK CAME ACROSS THE AUTOSTRADA AND PLOWED INTO ME IT WAS ON MONDAY THE DAY AFTER ITALY WON THE WORLDCUP AND HE WAS DRUNK IT TOCK ME 4 YEARS TO LERN TO WALK AGAIN BUT I MADE IT AND RETURNED TO DRIVING BACK ON CONTINENTAL WITH LLODYS OF LUDLOW I ALWAYS WORKED ON CONTINENTAL WORK NEVER WORKED DRIVING IN THE UK STOPED DRIVING 4 YEAR,S AGO DRIVING A DRAW-BAR FOR A FRENCH COMPANY CALLED PLASTIL GJL FRANCE ANYWAY ITS NICE TO TALK TO U TAKE CARE TERRY

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the excellent restaurant right on the border at Nordhoorn / Denekamp on the route to North Germany and Scandinavia. Gawd knows what the name was though.

David

scud:

JohnyRose63:

Dont forget Victor,s at calenzano there was always some brit,s in there waiting to tip or load in Prato, and just through the lights heading to prato turn left , under the bridge and on the right past euro express was a bar we called the glasshouse.

easily forgot when you woke up in the tir park and wondered how you got there■■?

used to frequent a little algerian bar in como when tipping /loading at pifferetti’s too!!

used to be a nice place just off autostrada at verona learned what bistecca de cavali was there?
never told my daughter she loved horses [ so did i mmmmmmm ]