Uzbekistan.Kazakhstan.Gilders and Davies

I thought I’d bump this, some might to have a look at what some of us were doing back then.

Jeff

Does anyone have information on companies and drivers that travelled to above countries.Peter Gilder and Sons(Bourton on the Water) and Ralph Davies(Cheltenham) used to go there.Heard some drivers made it to the Chinese border,and law suits with truck manufactures,due to road conditions destroying vehicles,trucks being fit for the purpose.Shower water in the former C.I.S,Russia,being toxic,and nasty diseases in the water.Shower with a clothes peg on the nose.There was a “Shell” garage North of Le Mans,France,that had pictures of Davies trucks on their TIR trips,the garage on the national road is now a builders merchants.In the 90`s,lots of us would get a good meal or shower there,friendly owner and staff.Big dog,if i recall.Anyone used to run the coast road from Cherbourg,before the truck ban?And what was that creperie called North of Nantes,allways loads of Brits stopped there?

I know the Creperie you mean Pete,the one with a large parking opposite, it was run by a lady who spoke good English, I always knew it as The Creperie. And yes always the coast road going on at the lights at the bottom of Cherbourg hill (old road through town ) joining the coast road at La Pont and comming off at Hyenville.

Distant and good memories fading.Would hear drivers say meet at the creperie,when on the ferry.Her daughter got distracted while driving her car,as she had a cat in the car,rolled the car in a ditch and damaged her neck.There was the flying sausage restaurant,cant remember where it was.And the big routiers with the view near La Rochelle,on the national.And that English guy who fiddled the pumps at Claudes old place,St Genis way,bearded man,did jail time.Is Colin still living at St Genis,near the fish and chip cafe.Pinnocio the jaded bike cop,heard a lot about him.The bungs made to Cherbourg customs,they did well out the Brits,second income!!Hated St Andre de Cubzac BP stop.Moody waitress`s that married and settled with drivers,now living in France.Splendid scenery in that area,if on a bike ride through the wine valleys.

when i worked for davies, all the euro/asia work had finished, except 2 trucks kept on euro full time, 6 weeks away and all that. And the drivers of those trucks were Melvin Cotterill and Mike Morrell, and i think they had done the uzbek trips. plus the most infamous davies driver “pop” Warner, heard loads of stories about him, losing fingers and toes to frostbite, out in deepest darkest Russia, plus Mickey Gill? i think that was his name, the most quiet guy on that company, never bragged about anything, i’m sure he was an uzbek old hand aswell.

The Shell garage was at La Bazoge and the Alsatian dog was called “Egor”. Was always the last stop before the boat on the way home :slight_smile:

andyturnbull.com/tbtk/c01.htm

The write up to the magazine article and also I think Edward Gilder still occasionally go to Russia with livestock.

peter mill.
I couldn’t contact Colin.
So I take it he’s on a ferry.
He’s still in St Genis de Saintonge.
Last I heard he was up a ladder fixing his soffets. :open_mouth:

peter mill:
Distant and good memories fading.Would hear drivers say meet at the creperie,when on the ferry.Her daughter got distracted while driving her car,as she had a cat in the car,rolled the car in a ditch and damaged her neck.There was the flying sausage restaurant,cant remember where it was.And the big routiers with the view near La Rochelle,on the national.And that English guy who fiddled the pumps at Claudes old place,St Genis way,bearded man,did jail time.Is Colin still living at St Genis,near the fish and chip cafe.Pinnocio the jaded bike cop,heard a lot about him.The bungs made to Cherbourg customs,they did well out the Brits,second income!!Hated St Andre de Cubzac BP stop.Moody waitress`s that married and settled with drivers,now living in France.Splendid scenery in that area,if on a bike ride through the wine valleys.

The Saucisse Volant is on the National south of Nantes direction Nantes airport,there is another good restaurant further down the road known as Lukes, the restaurant south of La Rochelle ,was the Fish restaurant ,La Aire du Marin . The useless lummox on the pumps at Clauds was Tony and his wife worked in the bar with Annette. Dave Ketty still lives in St Genis I believe from his brother (colket on here )and the last I heard was driving for Norbert.

Creperie, known more fondly as the “Craperry” if memory serves me right fellas…

Regards to all who served in her etc etc,lol…

Happy days, sounding more like my Dad !!!
Joe C

if remember rightly tonys wife was called pam, claudes was one of my first stops on my first trips to spain for albert hymas at harrogate

is that when you started to copy spanish bobs dress sense love sponge

peter mill:
Does anyone have information on companies and drivers that travelled to above countries.Peter Gilder and Sons(Bourton on the Water) and Ralph Davies(Cheltenham) used to go there.Heard some drivers made it to the Chinese border,and law suits with truck manufactures,due to road conditions destroying vehicles,trucks being fit for the purpose.Shower water in the former C.I.S,Russia,being toxic,and nasty diseases in the water.Shower with a clothes peg on the nose.There was a “Shell” garage North of Le Mans,France,that had pictures of Davies trucks on their TIR trips,the garage on the national road is now a builders merchants.In the 90`s,lots of us would get a good meal or shower there,friendly owner and staff.Big dog,if i recall.Anyone used to run the coast road from Cherbourg,before the truck ban?And what was that creperie called North of Nantes,allways loads of Brits stopped there?

Hi Peter this is a few photos of trip to Astana the Kazak capital in the winter

there is a few drivers and owner drivers on this site who went much further than me and it could be frightening at times and kept the blood pumping :smiley:

motley:

kev, don’t suppose you’ve got that photo of K500 passing through a snowdrift, with the sides up to height of cab roof have you? :open_mouth:

Ive got a few jj72 and lost a few aswell, if i get more time i will get them scanned

Its easy to see how you could get frosbite :exclamation:

Nipper:
The Shell garage was at La Bazoge and the Alsatian dog was called “Egor”. Was always the last stop before the boat on the way home :slight_smile:

Well remembered Nipper, used to stop there regular on way back for a coffee and sarnie
on way back to Cherbourg / Caen.

motley

Great pics mate, i,ve got nothing but admiration for you guys that went to such far away places.
Only did Europe myself, and wish now i,d been a bit more adventurous.

Nipper:

i remember that place well didnt it used to have a lot of photos on the wall

i used to work for richard deacon at lutterworth he used to send a truck over subbing for gilder to kazakhstan the drivers name was tony dont know if any one remembers him.

hanson:

Nipper:

Dont remember the photos ,but could get your ■■■■ there as a “plus”

kerbut:

hanson:

Nipper:

Dont remember the photos ,but could get your ■■■■ there as a “plus”[/q

think i used to go in not long before they started doing the new motorway