Russian 'pioneers'

so the middle east thread has been a great success,and after a search i couldnt find a russian thread, so i thought i would start one on the companies and drivers whe headed to russia and into the ‘stans’ etc. its an area that really interests me as i have a couple of colleagues who have worked for kepstowes and peter gilder, and their stories and photos are fantastic! so does anyone on here have any experience with people like kepstowes, ralph davis, fransens gilders etc. also another name was chancellor freight i think from london although im not sure if they had trucks or were just a forwarder?

come on, get the photos and stories up please!!

You forgot Eurotrux Mat. We didn’t only do Rock and Roll out there and were the agents for Sovinteravto. Also Promotor did a bit along with John Combes who used to employ all English drivers.

hi ya mate you want to speak to dave wakefield im sure he worked for croomes and kepstowes

ralph davies rang to russia and beyond rite to the china boarder

Hullo,
The man that you really need to speak to about Russia is most definitely Dave Mackie.
Dave ran I think I’m right in saying probably further than most, certainly to the china border.
Cheers, Archie.

stevied:
You forgot Eurotrux Mat. We didn’t only do Rock and Roll out there and were the agents for Sovinteravto. Also Promotor did a bit along with John Combes who used to employ all English drivers.

i did steve, it was a bit of a brief list to be honest and i didnt think there were any old eurotux boys on here (i think maybe your the first!!)

craig i have chatted with dave, and seen his photos, which are amazing! i was hoping some noew stuff may appear on here, you never know!

My dad worked for Fransen’s but never went to Russia but alot of his colleges did, used to love hearing the stories when they got back to the yard and helping them wash there trucks which where extreamly dirty. One of there drivers is currently in process of writing a book of his travels,

Here are a couple of pics borrowed off this site

fransenrussia.jpg

Fransen005.jpg

I believe my old mate Alan Jones,(Mr.Magoo), after he finished on m/e was working for Andreus Andresun from Denmark running England/Denmark/Russia.
Haven’t been in touch with him for a while,I’ll see if I can get any more info out of him.

djdaddydan100:
My dad worked for Fransen’s but never went to Russia but alot of his colleges did, used to love hearing the stories when they got back to the yard and helping them wash there trucks which where extreamly dirty. One of there drivers is currently in process of writing a book of his travels,
karlmarxandcarefuldriving.blogspot.com/

Here are a couple of pics borrowed off this site

should be good when its done!

bestbooties:
I believe my old mate Alan Jones,(Mr.Magoo), after he finished on m/e was working for Andreus Andresun from Denmark running England/Denmark/Russia.
Haven’t been in touch with him for a while,I’ll see if I can get any more info out of him.

that would be great ian. i saw 3 andressens at the boder a few years ago which were russian registered trucks, i guess they have a depot out there somewhere?

Eagle Freight of Gt. Blakenham Ipswich used to have a few trucks running to Russia years ago. I did it for awhile and swapped trailers with a Russian driver near the Polish border and fetch his back to Europort, then turn round and go back again.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure there’s some pics of Thor Transport doing Russia over 30 years ago,check through the thread “Old firms from Stoke on Trent”.

My uncle worked for Walsh western from Ireland for many years and he was doing Russia in the late 80s early 90s there is a thread on Irish rigs about them.
irishrigs.com/t4937-walsh-western-in-russia

kr79:
My uncle worked for Walsh western from Ireland for many years and he was doing Russia in the late 80s early 90s there is a thread on Irish rigs about them.

fantastic! i had fogotten all about macburnies, what ever happened to them?

euromat:

kr79:

fantastic! i had fogotten all about macburnies, what ever happened to them?

Saw a McBurney yellow Scania and trailer this morning on the A49 heading South.

David :slight_smile:

David Croome of Kent certainly used to do a lot of Russia, maybe he still does.

I was on for Trans Mondo in the mid 90’s and did a lot of Russia and Kazakhstan. There were a lot of Turks doing it as well.
Dave Mackie.
Peter Gilder.
Frank White.
Nick Ball.
Rusanglia.
Expo Transit ( Honiton )
Tuna (Turkey )
Helen ( Turkey )
Firderici (Swiss )
Rynart Trading
Rynart Trucking
Willi Betz.