re camion stew

just been reading a story about camion stew (lol)i never forget the time we stopped at a supermarket in france,got some provisions,carried on up the road when we parked up that night ,my partner made a camion stew, or so i thought was a camion stew untill we tasted it,was only till we tasted it ,did we realise it was a liver stew,tasted rotten,s we look back on things and we can laugh,bring back the good old days,even the bbqs we had at cherbourg,wen the customs wanted to come and join us,just after doing us,cos the permit was out,trying to post pics but to no avail,

carnt beat camion stew was running spain until 2007 subbyin for rosewood trucking sometimes would eat at resteraunts but u couldnt beat parking up locker open on trl cooker on apan with every think u had in it few beers memories

What is or was the attraction of “cooking up” when in Europe you were spoilt for choice when it came to cafe’s or restaurants or taverna’s ■■
I understand the necessity when engaged on M/E runs – but in Europe ■■

Big Leggy:
What is or was the attraction of “cooking up” when in Europe you were spoilt for choice when it came to cafe’s or restaurants or taverna’s ■■

I think you will find that a lot of drivers who cooked up were on not on the best of wages and had to use their expenses to make up the shortfall.I worked for one or two (short time only) Not knocking it :laughing: :laughing:

A lot of drivers were ■■■■ 'eads & spent their meal allowance on booze so lived on beanz to supplement their nitelife. Others were too mean even to look after their health.

harry:
A lot of drivers were ■■■■ 'eads & spent their meal allowance on booze so lived on beanz to supplement their nitelife. Others were too mean even to look after their health.

Well said Harry.Knew a few like that.Most gone now.Something to do with their liver. :laughing: :laughing:

Big Leggy:

No problems between 8 am & 10pm, but parked up in some poligon industrial 5km from anywhere when you’ve been chasing time all day to get tipped or loaded and missed it, what would you do?

a, drive for as far as needed to find that “taverna” you think is just around the corner, or.
b, crack open the locker, dig out the tin opener and get cracking with the ‘camion stew’.

In other words it’s not always by choice:)

I had 3 levels of “C” cuisine,

1, pot noodle, soup or anything you just add water to,
2, Tinned stuff like, stewing steak, a tin of spuds and a tin of peas all heated in 1 pan, usually for at least two people.
3, Fresh mince or chicken breasts from a supermercado, onions & pasta for a ‘from scratch’ dinner, again for at least two or stick half in a tupperware conainer for tomorrow.

Ross. (Jamie Oliver I aint :wink: )

Tinned stuff like, stewing steak, a tin of spuds and a tin of peas

If after many weeks the tins have been rolling about in the steel locker how the hell do you now what yer eating :question: Camion stew :question: :question: rahter call it “hit and miss stew” :wink: :wink: :wink:

To me the very essence of the nostalgia we share, was in those evenings
spent in great company, in good restaurants, eating some of the best
european cuisine, this after a hard days work and the ritual of parking up
and getting cleaned up.

Camion stew when needs must is fine but to routinely cook up in a layby
or service area with no social time is no kind of life. :smiley:

Regards GAZ

GAZ IOW:
To me the very essence of the nostalgia we share, was in those evenings
spent in great company, in good restaurants, eating some of the best
european cuisine, this after a hard days work and the ritual of parking up
and getting cleaned up.

GAZ

Absolutely, I’ve spent literally hundreds of fantastic nights at Clauds relais de Saintonge, BP “cabbage patch”, Castettes, Contixa @ Sunbilla, Victors, Freds, the Grand Buffet at Cambrills, Tilly’s at Puig plus too many others that old age won’t allow me to remember without sleeping on it. Nights & the meals at these places are some of the best memories from my 20 years on the job, but sometimes I would just rather be alone.

Over the years I met lot’s of fantastic people and one of two to55ers who I’d rather forget, like an English driver at the cabbage patch who was robbing anything not nailed down in the shop. I waited outside for him and told the idiot exactly what I thought of him, he was a little past his best from the red wine and decided to throw a punch. That was the last mistake he made that day, but by and large, the craic at these places was top notch.

To summerise, 6 or 7 nights away, 1 or 2 camion cuisine meals. (only counting main meals)

Ross.

Very profound Gary.I entirely agree with you.However we were lucky to be working for good companies.We had some great evenings eh? Some were not so fortunate having to continually chase the clock. :cry: :cry:

i loved the grand buffet,wat a feast u could have,but wen we cooked da camion stew ,where we were tipping was in an industrial estate and was late wen we parked up,but thats part of the fun ,we even had the odd barbie in cherbourg,food ,wine,beer wat more could u ask 4,

charlie one:

harry:

Well said Harry.Knew a few like that.Most gone now.Something to do with their liver. :laughing: :laughing:

I was going to say that. And the other amazing thing was that they were living on scraps but were always skint ■■
Camion stew only in emergencies.( For me )

I’m pretty sure most would agree with my original comment “what’s the attraction of camion stew” !
I do realise that all drivers on European (or UK for that matter) should carry a few bits for emergencies – I’ve been snowed in on Mway and been thankfull to be able to brew up !
I also appreciate that all drivers were/are not on top money – but surely a meal can be afforded at routier prices !
There is of course the social aspect of the evening meal with comrades & colleagues ! It means for the price of a routier meal you are away from the cab for a couple of hours !
As for chasing time – no comment really – the French drivers get their work done and still fit in all their breaks etc.!
I know it’s not a British thing - I’ve seen Germans & Italians cabbing it – bu it does appear to be prevelant amongst Brits… Maybe we’re not as sociable or find the language barrier a problem we cannot surmount ■■
On another thread there are comments about a company I was with for many years not being allowed to cook in the cab – well that was not an issue as there was no such rule + we all ate out & had many happy + regular “watering holes” !!

The majority of my international career was doing Middle East and it was a pleasure to “Eat out” while doing the Eurorean part of the trip.A good meal could be had at most of the German MSA’s,then there was “Pauline’s” at Golling or “Mama’s” at Spielfeld.After that it was cook up in the cab or trailer box,depending on the time of year,a “Camion stew” if parked up with colleagues,or a meal at an establishment where the grub could be trusted like “The Hotel National” or “The Harem Hotel”.
It was great fun and testament to the cameraderie of M/E drivers whenever a few of you wer driving down the “Tapline” and met another group on the homeward trip.
A flashing of lights and we’d all pull onto the desert and depending on what time of day it was,either tea and biuscuits or the fabled “Camion stew”.
That was the big advantage of M/E for me,very rarely chasing the clock.A day off in Istanbul on the way out and back was taken as normal by all except those who were on peanuts or just plain anti social.
One’s last clean set of clothes ;was saved for after having a shower,when having a meal on the ferry knowing you were almost home.

Camion stew somewhere along the “Tapline”. The Funstons driver was Noel Walker.The SI Volvo was mine.

bestbooties
Could not agree more with what you say !!
My point was aimed at European drivers when there is a surfeit of good routier type eating places !!
I don’t want to give the impression I have never carried & cooked food en route – I worked on OHS out of Rainham at one time so do know necessity of cab cuisine at certain times & places !!

I have related on an earlier thread that when I was away from civilization on my own I went to a lot of trouble to have one good meal a day,probably in the evening.
If I had time on my hands I would spend some of it creating something different.
One of my weaknesses was sherry trifle,and I’ve told it before of one trip when I arrived in Mosul one very hot Friday with no chance of clearing customs until the next day.I spent the afternoon knocking up a sherry trifle which I put in the fridge before having an afternoon kip.The quiet was disturbed late afternoon when a couple of English guys on their first trip pulled in beside me,obviously suffering,asking if it was always this hot.
I thought it was time for a brew,and asked if they fancy some sherry trifle,They thought I was winding them up until I produced said trifle.
They were gobmacked and thought all M/E drivers lived on tins of beans!
The only trouble is,word gets around and before long,no matter where I parked,I had Brits pulling up behind asking what was on the menu!
Likewise at night,because I has built a shower unit on my 142,as soon as word got about,I couldn’t park anywhere without company.

Camion stew somewhere along the “Tapline”. The Funstons driver was Noel Walker.The SI Volvo was mine

Last saw Noel in Algeria years ago. Last heard of him about 4 yrs ago. Still with Funstons & driving a van. A legend in his own lunchtime…LOL

Hi as someone who not only did M/E but also just about all of Europe can I add my 10penceworth? I always carried supply of food even in the UK because you never knew where you would be or what was likely to happen (breakdowns snow strikes etc.). I have always prided myself on knowing where the good cafes were and would normally head for one, but I also knew drivers who would not eat ‘foreign’ food probably because they could not speak enough of the local language to order. I might also add that I have on occaision stopped at a cafe, had a look at who was in there and then drove on and cooked up because I did not want my evening spoilt!
Incidently someone said about tins rolling about and labels coming off, that is exactly what a camion stew is. After the tins had been rolling around in a damp locker for a few weeks and had no labels and were not in their origonal position, you did not know what was in it until the lid was off, then its too late it goes in the pan!
Gavin

Hi Guys
Gavin Mc
Its amazing how that mysterious unlabled tin of peaches used to add just what was needed!!! Eh.

When I was doing Portugal, I used to enjoy a meal at the Routiers restaurant at Vivonne on the N10, the one with the tall post with the knife and fork on. Then another meal at Victors, and if tipping Oporto, a meal at Villa Formoso by the river,or if tipping Algarve or Lisbon, a meal on the Portugese side of the border at Badajos.
I used to love the Frango Piri Piri…
When going East,first night was a big meal at Geiselwind, washed down with loads of Weizen beer. Next night was mostly a trailer box meal in Czech, followed by a good meal in Hungary.
Then there was the obligatory Mixed Grill George at the National, and then trailer box cuisene in Bulgaria. Good meals all through Turkey and Trailer box meals the rest of the way.
The Trailer box was a focal point for breakfast, lunch and tea/coffe breaks, and then a social gathering at night under the stars.
Fantastic !!!..
GS