International truck stops

well have read about the uk truck stops how about telling us about the international ones and where they are would be very useful

what country you after?

And which roads? Strewth! How long have you got? :open_mouth: :laughing:

kingoftheroad:
how about telling us about the international ones and where they are would be very useful

HERE you go. That’s the tip of the iceberg.

yes guys I know that i am asking a lot but i am sure some of the newby international drivers would be grateful, how about France and Spain the best places to stop on the way to Spain from the tunnel to say Madrid and Granada
you guys must know what places are the pits and where are the best :sunglasses:

kingoftheroad:
yes guys I know that i am asking a lot but i am sure some of the newby international drivers would be grateful, how about France and Spain the best places to stop on the way to Spain from the tunnel to say Madrid and Granada
you guys must know what places are the pits and where are the best :sunglasses:

In the ‘Good Old Days’ the rule of thumb was to avoid all the places with loads of Brit trucks parked outside. The idea was to go for the ones with, in France, mainly French trucks in the parking areas and in Spain, Spanish trucks. You would tend to get better food and a better atmosphere that way. That rule of thumb won’t be much good these days due to the ever decreasing numbers of Brits going over. :frowning: :frowning:

But it would still be useful in telling where to stop, as opposed to where not to. :wink:
My list of eateries in France is so extensive that I couldn’t even begin. I tend to answer specific queries from people making the journey.
I once went on a Dutch website which did what you ask (forget the address now) and posted a couple of good ones they had missed, along with the comment that I didn’t have time to add more. The answer came back with a request to list all the routiers I knew. :unamused: S’pose I’d have been better understood if I’d done it in Dutch. :wink: :laughing:

Sometimes when you put some effort into a reply for info you wish you hadn’t bothered. There was one bloke who requested the real routiers, not the MSAs, for a journey he was planning. I took some time listing all the ones on the route planned, with some alternatives. In the event he never left the autoroute and bought sandwiches to eat in the cab :smiling_imp: , what a waste :unamused: .

well thank you anyway i still think it would be good to have international truck stops on this site as we have a lot of uk ones on here and i have found them useful perhaps you could list internationl truck stops as a header on the site and let members add there own recomandations thanks

Its changed too much with all the rush nowadays, You have to stop where you can and make sure you get a parking place. Gone are the days when you knew where you would stop all the way down to Algesciras or Stanley Bull.

You could stop and cancel when you liked if you met someone, if you had a rush job a couple of Calvados would give you 300 km further after your meal :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of stopping places are personal choice anyway, but in France come off the autoroutes and explore a bit.

On Monday evening I parked at a favourite of mine (and Davids) at Hautvillers.

I ordered Steack Tartare and got slagged off by a Brit driver. “look at the Frog eating raw dogmeat” :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

:smiley:

Ah, Chez Jo, amen to that, is the little ‘foundling’ still racing around with the plates, after his stint on parking duties :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

Wheel Nut:

:smiley:

Ah, Chez Jo, amen to that, is the little ‘foundling’ still racing around with the plates, after his stint on parking duties :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Still there, still mad as a fish and doing a suitable impression of Manuel.

They have gone a little upmarket using an open fire and a grill chef in the restaurant & I havent been able to get moules marinere for a long time now

Wheel Nut:
[They have gone a little upmarket using an open fire and a grill chef in the restaurant & I havent been able to get moules marinere for a long time now

No, that’s Jo himself, been doing that for a long time, but only on Tuesdays and Fridays I think. You must have been there on the other days in the past.
I have modeled my BBQ on his technique. Wide (1 metre) fire using only wood (of which I have an enormous amount) and transferring burning logs to one side leaving embers to cook over, then, when the originals are embers, cooking there and putting new wood over the newly dying embers. Brilliant, and no more dusty bags of charcoal to buy. :wink:

Wheel Nut:
I ordered Steack Tartare and got slagged off by a Brit driver. “look at the Frog eating raw dogmeat” :smiley:

:unamused:

Did you put him right ? or just have a quiet chuckle to yourself, whilst thinking how his poor parent must have struggled ? :open_mouth: :smiley:

If anyone is going to Germany, near MANNHIEM, I would recommend the Grunstad Tuckstop. They have great food, clean showers and we stopped there many times when working Germany

If you are going to Germany just follow the autohof signs in most major towns
pretty much excellent food at all the ones i’ve stopped at.

Between frankfurt and Munich if you exit the autobahn at GEISELWIND you will find one of the largest truckstops in Europe.

its been a few years since i was last there but they had just about everything you could possibly need…

excellent restaurant… good beer & food & service…large shop… supermarket…mercedes truck dealership and workshop …concert hall…several TV rooms showing different language TV… free clean showers…
McDonalds and Burger King…parking for at least 600 trucks…thme park approx 1 mile walk if your weekended

They also used to do a loyalty card that got you a free gift at Xmas

Hope this place is still there be a shame if not

Centre Routier Bordeaux. Not the BP one the Brits use but the Shell station, just over the second bridge on the right. If you get in by 19.00hrs when the restaurant door opens, you can pig out till closing time and won’t need to eat for a week. This includes several raids on the hordouves and vino before the waitress comes round for your coupon. You tell her what main course you want, out of a choice of about 7. When you’ve had that you can raid the cheeses & crackers, the sweets and the vino until kicking out time 23.00hrs.

Another favourite, although a bit of a dump, is Sunbilla on the road to Pamplona. Take the old road to Pamplona and 45mins later it will appear on your right. It’s a filling station with parking and a restaurant. The food is as cheap as mud, the alcohol flows and the camaraderie is great.

Carisio is OK if you can get in, fed and out again before the fight starts. That bottled bear they sell would turn a vicar into a fighting drunk, and if your still there in the morning you can’t get out 'cos you’ve been boxed in it’s that packed.

If you get weekended near Frankfurt, head towards the central station. Just north of the river there is a huge transport warehouse area. Dump your truck on there, walk towards the train station and you will pass a bath house, bars, many types of restaurant, cinemas, eros houses, girly bars, shops, banks and millions of yanks from near by Wiesbaden.

TRY looking through this site it has PARKING PLACES
TRANS-TOP
and lots MORE has been posted many times before.

also try THIS

toowise:

Between frankfurt and Munich if you exit the autobahn at GEISELWIND you will find one of the largest truckstops in Europe.

its been a few years since i was last there but they had just about everything you could possibly need…

excellent restaurant… good beer & food & service…large shop… supermarket…mercedes truck dealership and workshop …concert hall…several TV rooms showing different language TV… free clean showers…
McDonalds and Burger King…parking for at least 600 trucks…thme park approx 1 mile walk if your weekended

I have not been to this fine eatery for around 10 years now, but i remember ordering Spiegeleir mit shinken und pommes and (fried eggs, ham and chips) and being given 5fried eggs!!

scott42:

toowise:

I have not been to this fine eatery for around 10 years now, but i remember ordering Spiegeleir mit shinken und pommes and (fried eggs, ham and chips) and being given 5fried eggs!!

What an adventurous choice.

I tried to stop at the Routier by Yutz on Wednesday evening.
The one to the West of the Autoroute at the Centre de Transit sortie, just South of Thionville.

It’s been demolished :open_mouth: :imp: :imp: , totally.
They’ve even built a dyke all the way round the parking, which was on a rather steep slope for sleeping.