ERF EC SERIES...still plenty about

Dan Punchard:
Sounds like what you’ve heard toddy is about right ,to say any more May up set the Ecx owners on here .

The ECX could have saved ERF but because MAN had already pulled the plug on it for the two years they were in production the we’re no more than prototypes, we few oporaters they stuck with them have had to develope them ourselves and mine is quite good, I am off to Lodz in the morning. I have a lot of respect for the EC series but i wouldn’t want to do Poland in one

May be ,but if you went to Poland In a Ec you’d come back in it ,there’s no telling if you’d return in a Ecx unless your passionate about it and been through it first .

Dan Punchard:
May be ,but if you went to Poland In a Ec you’d come back in it ,there’s no telling if you’d return in a Ecx unless your passionate about it and been through it first .

ill let you know saturday

I guess your in the been through it club mr Drake .

Dan Punchard:

yeh you could say that Dan, its took me years of replacing and modifying parts and i could of bought a Scania with what i’ve spent. its a bit mad but its what we do and i love it

Sadler Tankers Thornaby/Oldham ran a few ERF EC10s at one time
ERF Sadler Tankers.jpg

ERF MAN:

Dan Punchard:

yeh you could say that Dan, its took me years of replacing and modifying parts and i could of bought a Scania with what i’ve spent. its a bit mad but its what we do and i love it

So Dougie - can you tell us more about the mods you have done ?

image.jpg

Dan Punchard:

Don’t see many EC’s with the side window

It did have a rear window cover although i think it got used for lying down on under Neath ,desperate situation ect lol.

Dan Punchard:
It did have a rear window cover although i think it got used for lying down on under Neath ,desperate situation ect lol.

Is that your EC12 then Dan?
and the Dennis Pax?

The pax is mine ,the EC is my Dads he’s had it from 150,000ks it’s only done 350,000 now ,and I’ve not long sold the trailer .

Dan Punchard:
The pax is mine ,the EC is my Dads he’s had it from 150,000ks it’s only done 350,000 now ,and I’ve not long sold the trailer .

that trailer is very similar to mine, but a lot smarter
The Pax looks good - don’t see many about, I think they were underated, actually better motors that most people think

Dan Punchard:

Hello Dan over the years on TN I seem to have seen a few Punchard’s mentioned so I take it you are a family business one thing is evident you are all enthusiasts as every vehicle large & small always looks well. Keep up the good work. Eddie.

erfguy:

Dan Punchard:

Hello Dan over the years on TN I seem to have seen a few Punchard’s mentioned so I take it you are a family business one thing is evident you are all enthusiasts as every vehicle large & small always looks well. Keep up the good work. Eddie.

Thanks Eddie ,we are large family ,all in haulage in Derbyshire and Staffordshire spanning 5 generations going on 6 .

Going off topic I know, the Pax’s selling point was that it was plated for 15 tons GVW but could carry a similar payload to the 16 tonners like the Bedford KM, Commer Maxiload etc. Derek Minter (the Motorcycle Road Racer from Kent for you youngsters!) featured in the adverts as he was an OD with a Pax tipper.

Pete.

I don’t know about old weights Pete but in tonnes it weights 5500 and is 15250 gross 9750 payload and with a 15 ft long body it’s quite long for the year ,the body is not the lightest either .

Toddy2:
Ok fella’s

would like a few opinions, How do the old EC Olympic & the ECX Olympic compare?
Or even the EC to the ECX?

I Have heard some say that the “proper ERF” (Sandbach built EC) was better than the ECX but would welcome some comments good & bad points!!

As a driver of both, I say the early EC was the better lorry, both to drive and live in for the week. The EC is more spacious in the drivers seat, and the Olympic is a cab you can relax in at the end of the day, top bunk folded up, passenger seat turned round, feet up on the bed, (having sat at the table to eat your tea), very civilised, very relaxing.
When it comes to fit and finish there’s not much between them, both have windows and doors that’re none too good at keeping water out. Or wind.

Compared to the EC, the ECX is quite poor, sunroof’s that leak, headlights that are near useless, paint that wears off the switch’s, cab suspension that’s too soft, a bunk that’s too high to sit on in comfort, and too high to recline the seats, the back wall’s no good to lean against, the passenger side is too cramped to be comfortable, the drivers seat doesn’t go back enough on it’s runners, resulting in a limp everytime you get out if it, the 420 M11, aweful, the MAN fluid gearchange, great, until it leaks. I’m sure a few more things will come to mind later, but I’ll leave it at that.

No Rush:

Toddy2:
Ok fella’s

would like a few opinions, How do the old EC Olympic & the ECX Olympic compare?
Or even the EC to the ECX?

I Have heard some say that the “proper ERF” (Sandbach built EC) was better than the ECX but would welcome some comments good & bad points!!

As a driver of both, I say the early EC was the better lorry, both to drive and live in for the week. The EC is more spacious in the drivers seat, and the Olympic is a cab you can relax in at the end of the day, top bunk folded up, passenger seat turned round, feet up on the bed, (having sat at the table to eat your tea), very civilised, very relaxing.
When it comes to fit and finish there’s not much between them, both have windows and doors that’re none too good at keeping water out. Or wind.

Compared to the EC, the ECX is quite poor, sunroof’s that leak, headlights that are near useless, paint that wears off the switch’s, cab suspension that’s too soft, a bunk that’s too high to sit on in comfort, and too high to recline the seats, the back wall’s no good to lean against, the passenger side is too cramped to be comfortable, the drivers seat doesn’t go back enough on it’s runners, resulting in a limp everytime you get out if it, the 420 M11, aweful, the MAN fluid gearchange, great, until it leaks. I’m sure a few more things will come to mind later, but I’ll leave it at that.

Thanks for the feedback No Rush, really do appreciate your comments.
Interesting about the headlights, I have seen a few ECX’s with bodged in EC & other lamps