The erf ec series debate

I liked the ERF EC. I loved the flat steering wheel and the driving position. I loved the Eaton Twin-splitter. I liked the way it handled. I was not so keen on the way the ■■■■■■■ Select 11-litre inter-reacted with the Twin-splitter, and I suspect that I would have preferred the older low-tech 14-litre ■■■■■■■ version (as in the E-series E14, which was brilliant). I would have loved a LHD ERF EC14 with a 9-speed Fuller, but as far as I know they didn’t build one (not in LHD)! Alas! Robert :slight_smile:

Saw two lovely examples in convoy bobbing North on Sunday, on the M6 through Cheshire, off to a truck show somewhere? Also saw a unliveried Scammell Highwayman with tank trailer going the same way/place - magnificent!

Jesus Christ - resurrected after ELEVEN years :exclamation: :laughing:

bazza123:

would swap my 12plate cf with the auto box :unamused: for my 1999 erf ec11 Olympic all day long oh the memories :unamused: ■■■■ am getting old :smiley:

bazza123:

and they are still going strong !!

Toddy2:

bazza123:

and they are still going strong !!

I can’t think of any other lorry still going this strong 14 years after the end of production .

Anyone spotted the slim lady driving the white EC11 with ex stennetts tipper trailer on around towcester / Northampton it may have a air con unit on the roof ,wish my mrs could manage that .

Unloading in Canning Town - Last week

saw this one on the way out,
saw another on the M2 west bound,

and saw another in the queue next to me for the Tunnel on the way home

neverhome73:

bazza123:

would swap my 12plate cf with the auto box :unamused: for my 1999 erf ec11 Olympic all day long oh the memories :unamused: [zb] am getting old :smiley:

Do you want to change jobs ? Your wish has just happened !

I went into E Massey in Risley, Warrington & offered to swap my 62 plate Premium for an EC11 with twin splitter. The answer was a polite no. :open_mouth:

A proper drivers truck, but I liked the look of the Foden better more room than a Volvo and I couldn’t keep up with them on the motorway before limiters.
Didn’t like the quarter light window and no heated mirrors though.

Dave
Your Merc’s seem to be the smallest engines with the narrow cab noticed that yesterday after passing the Hanson wagon and drag with missing tyre at Stamford the cement lorry had just passed it.

neverhome73:

bazza123:

would swap my 12plate cf with the auto box :unamused: for my 1999 erf ec11 Olympic all day long oh the memories :unamused: [zb] am getting old :smiley:

Stan Robinson at cambuslang still has an EC11 Olympic out on the road earning its crust. Maybe you could give him a shout see if they need a driver for it. I’d be tempted if the money is good.:smiley:

drove one on euro work great truck bit hot a nite with a plastic cab but loved twin split people who say they hate them cant use em ;;

a guid motor

Took my test in one, round Bristol, examiner said at the end it was nice to do a test in a trunk with a real gearbox and a full size tri-axle tautliner :slight_smile:

My ex baby below. Clutch went one Monday morning within a mile of leaving the yard. Did I turn around? Did I hell, cracked on all week until I got back Saturday. Not many motors you could do that now with.

image.jpg

If you go into the ■■■■■■■ engine plant at Darlington they have an Olympic in there which they use to pull the exhibition trailer around, the thing looks brand new, it was parked next to a new shape Volvo FH which they had put a ■■■■■■■ engine in for testing, some interesting stuff parked in there if you have a mooch about

so do you love them or hate them :question:
we have more than a few on out fleet and i must admit that i would rather be out and about in on off our mercs, but i dont throw my teddy if im on an erf.
things i like.
1.gearboxes ( wether twin split or the eaton fuller)
2.■■■■■■■ engines ( its funny how i have been having a go at the septics for this but i like them just as much)
3. i love sleeping in them as the mattress is just right.
4. i like that sweet sound coming through the eminox.
5.lift axle. in weather like this its nice to have a lift axle that you can lift up and leave up even when fully loaded (only on the slippery bits mind :wink: ) its much better than this new system that only keeps it up for a few minute ( hell , even i can keep it up for more than a few minutes :wink: :wink: )
6. night heater. no degree needed to use this. straight forward on/off and a thermostat.

dislikes.

1. the driving position i think is terrible, and what with that large flat steering wheel and a seat that does not go back far enogh i might aswell be piloting a 1960,s london bus.
  2. they leak when you take them through a truck wash

At least it ain’t a Freightliner…they leak in dense fog!, Every freightliner I have ever driven has leaked like a sieve…round the windscreens, doors, upper windows, floors etc etc.
I’d have a ERF EC over a freightliner anytime…as for the Steering wheel position, well it’s more manly that way…is’nt it? :laughing: , not like the sissy tilt it towards you kind of deal! :laughing:

I always have the urge when asked to drive an ERF to take them to the nearest scrap yard. they are a shining example of why a British truck industry virtually ceased to exist. :cry:

They are badly built unpleasant trucks, the twin splitter gearbox is far too fussy, and they should be supplied with a gallon of petrol and a box of matches to put them out of there misery. :laughing: