The erf ec series debate

Funny how the Eaton Twin Split gearbox recieves complaints from people who just can’t use them. Once your use to them, theres no better gearbox, full stop, end of story.

Tramper:
Funny how the Eaton Twin Split gearbox recieves complaints from people who just can’t use them. Once your use to them, theres no better gearbox, full stop, end of story.

never a truer word spoken :wink:

I would buy any new truck that had the twin split as an option…and yes that includes an ERF.

cheers
STEVE.

Ray Von:
I always have the urge when asked to drive an ERF to take them to the nearest scrap yard. they are a shining example of why a British truck industry virtually ceased to exist.

You’d be better off taking it to your nearest recycling point and backing it into the plastic bottle bin.

ATKIG11:
I would buy any new truck that had the twin split as an option…and yes that includes an ERF.

cheers
STEVE.

Unfortunately you no longer have that option Steve. The Eaton twin split has been discontinued due to it being too noisey! :unamused: :confused:

I can use one :laughing: drove one for two years!!! but they are still fussy pointless things :stuck_out_tongue:

Ray Von:
I always have the urge when asked to drive an ERF to take them to the nearest scrap yard. they are a shining example of why a British truck industry virtually ceased to exist. :cry:

If thats the case, then why were ERF’s sold all over the world?

Driven one, slept in one… Love em.
Twin split? Yes please!

And this from a woman who’s had her class 2 6 months!

Cliff Warby:

Ray Von:
I always have the urge when asked to drive an ERF to take them to the nearest scrap yard. they are a shining example of why a British truck industry virtually ceased to exist. :cry:

If thats the case, then why were ERF’s sold all over the world?

Same reason Ladas were, bought by people who dont know better :laughing:

I bought a Lada for £150 once, so cheap to insure the insurance company almost paid me!

Never let me down but handled like a pig, great fun squealing the tyres round the supermarket carpark at 10 mph though :smiley: :smiley:

Bit off topic, I know…

Tramper:

ATKIG11:

cheers
STEVE.

Unfortunately you no longer have that option Steve. The Eaton twin split has been discontinued due to it being too noisey! :unamused: :confused:

Hi Tramper, yeah I know :cry: :cry:

Might have to try the comfort shift insead :laughing:

cheers
STEVE.

The comfort shift in the MAN TGA now THATS what you call a driver friendly gear box :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Had an EC14 6X2 with twin split box,but unfortunately I totalled it in a very serious RTA.One thing about it though,after it had the injectors done and the timing set up at the local ■■■■■■■ service centre,it went like [zb] off a shovel from a standing start.The down side was,our head fitter at the time,decided to have it restricted to 85kph.Bummer.All I know is,whoever managed to get the engine and box from the salvage,would have got one of the sweetest power units ever,even if it was only a 340.(Had an Sed Atki with a 365 14litre ■■■■■■■ engine and twin split + Eminox.Talk about poetry in motion.Shame about the name Atkinson though.)

If I had one or two criticisms of the EC series,it was that the early ones used to have door locks that seized up because they were too low,thereby getting the spray that came up from the front wheels.This was remedied in the later ones when ERF changed the mechanism,and put them higher up the door,and another was that they did leak at the top of the door when washed.

As for the twin split,if you got it wrong you always knew about it.

A case of,‘I’ll name that tune in 1…’

language edit- perhaps four stars would have been better than two :slight_smile: -ATKIG11

like ive said before biggest piece of junk to come out of cheshire except fodens that is if they are so good and every one bought one why did they go bust :smiling_imp:

Well said John Smith, ready built rubbish on wheels, bought by gaffers too tight to buy decent motors :smiley: :smiley: .

sent a post on this subject, but it somehow ended up on the staff wages thread, and I can`t be bothered to re-type it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Trev

Ive hated them for yonks! None of the ones ive ever driven, and Ive driven a fair few of them from the A series to ECX, could hold a candle to the 8 yr old FH12 im in right now, and even thats no great shakes compared with soem of the stuff we have available these days! Like Ray siad gaffers cheapo garbage, and I agree! :laughing:

Mal.

Love em or hate em,there’s no denying the ultra reliability of the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ drivetrain.

And while the EC might not be everyone’s cup of tea,I didn’t think the Olympic was that bad.

like you say good drive train but then they put a re designed plaggy rat on top of them, i would rather drive an F reg scania than one of those :smiling_imp:

I have been following this thread and I have just realised something.

I have to confess I dont know the price of a new truck :blush:

How much does a new ERF cost compared to say a new Volvo of similar spec and power :question: