The erf ec series debate

I suppose in laymans terms,you’d get 1.5 ERF’s to every 1 Volvo.

Sorry Guys…
But I like ERFs

The older guys here will remeber the B" series with the Jennings sleeper… as comfortable sleep as I have ever had …

The “C” series “Overlander” … high roofed(for the time) with a sink and cooler compartment under the bunk…(I loved that Ol Gal)

■■■■■■■ for me will always be the ultimate truck engine… an E10 with the 325 ■■■■■■■ pulled the proverbial house down…
coupled with the much maligned Twin Split (Gods personal gift to Truck Drivers) every day was an enjoyment

ERF was always seen as a gaffers truck… but many of the guys who drove them swear by the driveline and innovation that ERF introduced

I drove an EC14 340 6x2 twin steer (no mid lift), for 2.5 years and loved it. Granted the seat took some time, of trial n error, to set right. If someome else took your wagon out and adjusted the seat, that was a nightmare. The Eaton twin-splitter 12 speed was IMHO the best box on the road. Beats a standard zf-16 anyday, but you had to learn how to use it properly, even then it could catch you out on occaisions. If you’de been driving for a bit too long than was good for you, it would soon let you know (I’ll name that tune in 1). :laughing:

There was plenty of storage space under the bunk. Plenty of flat surfaces. Once the seat was set right, it was comfortable. With that gearbox it would outpull a 380 at 38t. My only real complaint was that it didn’t have some real horses. It would have been even better if I’de had the Olympic cab. :laughing: :unamused:

European Road Failure

Still prefer the 14 litre over the 10 litre,as the 14 litre was a plodder and not a screamer.Where I currently work,we have about 5, 10 litre ■■■■■■■ ERF’s,and the drivers rev the nuts off them to get them moving.Whereas the old 14 litre never had to be revved so hard,and always sounded like a REAL engine,especially if it had an eminox at the back.

Don’t care what the nay-sayers say, I still like ERF’s ■■■■ good trucks, but I guess there will always be people who will rubbish anything British! :angry:

1. They are probably the most uncomfortable truck you can drive
    2.The poxy drivers seat has amind of it’s own,and to get it adjusted where you want it takes ages.
    3.Having said that,they move their arses and are quicker than a lot of other trucks like the computers on wheels that are Merc Actroses.
    4.Basic dash and design layout but nevertheless easy to understand.
    5.Gearboxes are nice to use,but thats about it.A basic truck that will do the job.

Glenn:

1. They are probably the most uncomfortable truck you can drive.

Obviously you have’nt driven a Freightliner, or most other types of American trucks…Have you? :laughing:

Not a great lover of the ERF, but the Eaton twin split was discontinued because they can not be manufactured to meet with EC emission requirements but they are still a pleasure to drive as far as I’m concerned.
:slight_smile:

Ladytrucker679:
Not a great lover of the ERF, but the Eaton twin split was discontinued because they can not be manufactured to meet with EC emission requirements but they are still a pleasure to drive as far as I’m concerned.
:slight_smile:

I’m curious, what has the gearbox to do with emisions?

noise pollution :wink:

But only when yer grinding 'em! :wink:

i have been counting the number of ec 11,s on the road today and i think there is more of them than anything else.
how many daf 75s and 85s do you see that are 6 to 10 year old in decent nick, and you dont see ten year old ivecos with only a little rust.
i think once the new model has been out a bit longer then the companies who always bought erf,s will soon be buying them again.