Driver Facing Cameras in Cabs

the nodding donkey:

eagerbeaver:

The-Snowman:
Best way to deal with them is just cover them up.
If anyone says to you “Why was your camera covered?” the response should be “How do you know it was covered? Why were you looking?” :grimacing:

Nail on head frozen chap :wink:

Or wear a different competitors uniform every day. … :grimacing:

:laughing: Never thought of that mate.

P Stoff:
Of course the cameras are not live streaming mostly are just recording. I can’t see anyone being bored enough to go through footage for the hell of it. It would only be watched in the case of an incident.

That said I still don’t agree.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Well my manager would be bored enough , he spends all day watching 2 trucks going round a screen just so he can ring up after 46 mins break to ask where you are .just so he can give the customer a ETA ( allegedly ) he gets the same answer every time you know where I am !!!

robroy:
I obviously have a family I love, but I’m not going to use them as some pawn to make others come round to my way of thinking. :unamused:

If that comment was aimed at me then you have misinterpreted my actions. I had and have no intentions of using anyone as prawns to get others to come round to my way of thinking - I don’t particularly care what others think, I am happy to state my own views and give reasons why I consider them to be important.

Try and read what I actually say without adding and posting your own incorrect interpretation.

123smith:

robroy:
I obviously have a family I love, but I’m not going to use them as some pawn to make others come round to my way of thinking. :unamused:

If that comment was aimed at me then you have misinterpreted my actions. I had and have no intentions of using anyone as prawns to get others to come round to my way of thinking - I don’t particularly care what others think, I am happy to state my own views and give reasons why I consider them to be important.

Try and read what I actually say without adding and posting your own incorrect interpretation.

No mate, maybe YOU should ‘‘Try and read what I actually say’’ before you jump in with both feet. :bulb:

My response was clearly aimed at ezydriver (I quoted him ffs) which I admittedlly misconstrued and went on to explain so…Why would you think it was aimed at you in particular? :unamused:

Also I suggested using my family as PAWNS not PRAWNS.
One of those regularly make me feel sick and the others are shellfish seafood. :wink:
:smiley:

robroy:
My response was clearly aimed at ezydriver (I quoted him ffs) which I admittedlly misconstrued and went on to explain so…Why would you think it was aimed at you in particular? :unamused:

Well obviously not as clearly as you thought as I also mentioned family in my post but thank you for clearing that up.

the maoster:
How does having a camera fitted save lives? Just asking.

By hopefully meaning a driver realising that he is being watched so not doing something that he otherwise would have done had he thought there was nobody to see.

The other side of the coin of a camera is they can actually exonerate a driver as well showing that he was paying attention and driving as he should in the seconds before an accident so third parties can’t make spurious claims he was on his phone etc.

Conor:

the maoster:

By hopefully meaning a driver realising that he is being watched so not doing something that he otherwise would have done had he thought there was nobody to see.

The other side of the coin of a camera is they can actually exonerate a driver as well showing that he was paying attention and driving as he should in the seconds before an accident so third parties can’t make spurious claims he was on his phone etc.

I get the theory Conor, but in reality how many times does an average good competent driver do anything serious enough, such as txting watching movies etc to cause a mega ■■■■ up.
I aint talking sipping a coffee or eating an apple, which I still say is not dangerous despite the over zealous official opinion, but such examples as those in the media lately.

It goes back to pandering to the 1% lowest common denominator and the other 99 having to suffer these type of injustices and impositions purely for and because of them.

The official line of being exonerated in the event of an accident I don’t really subscribe to either, ok maybe one time out of many examples, but they are sure as hell there primarily to blame rather than clear.

I’ve used the example before of a driver doing a loud mega yawn, something we all do behind the wheel, but just imagine that yawn recorded for all to see 10 seconds before a collision, …who is going to get jumped on, and the blame pinned on him for driving whilst fatigued or whatever even though in reality it was…just a yawn.
As I said mine is covered, if I get the boot so be it, but better than sitting in Durham nick due to some young and keen ■■■■ barrister out to make a name for himself at my cost. :imp:

I just naturally do not trust the official line on all this type of overboard stuff being a natural cynic, but instead I tend to look for the hidden and more often than not, TRUE agenda.

Thing is accidents will always happen, always have since year dot, most of the time due to incompetent idiots, so penalise those knobs rather than drivers like us.

Conor:

the maoster:

That didn’t seem to work in the A34 example.

In which case let the pilot’s unions lead the way in accepting this stasi mentality bs bearing in mind that we don’t want planes crashing all over the place.Oh wait.

All this is good and well, you can call people ‘sheep’, ‘spineless’, ‘arselickers’ or any other sobriquet you feel is derogatory enough, but matters like these are not decided by us, the people. No matter how many march on downing street, how many trucks form a Convoy, or how many drivers jack in in protest, measures such as these are implemented regardless of the peoples concent. Just as tachographs were. Just as the CPC was. Just as seat belts and bike helmets were. Just as we invaded a Sovereign country to dispose it’s legitimate ruler.

Not untill drivers, all drivers, feel collectively that enough is enough, will we have any power to change these things. I don’t like it. But I can’t change it. Maybe a union could…

Conor:

the maoster:

No. You are wrong.
The driver does NOT need to prove that they were paying attention in the seconds before an incident.

They can only ever work against the driver . . . Did you know that ALL of the recorded footage can be requested by the other side? This includes ALL footage that your TM has stored.

Everything, have a think on it.

Dork Lard:

Conor:

the maoster:

No. You are wrong.
The driver does NOT need to prove that they were paying attention in the seconds before an incident.

They can only ever work against the driver . . . Did you know that ALL of the recorded footage can be requested by the other side? This includes ALL footage that your TM has stored.

I can REQUEST tea with the Queen.

Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen though…

Dork Lard:

Conor:

the maoster:

No. You are wrong.

This is a concern I would have with fitting one of those dash cams thingies. It can work against you. People have been done from their own footage which must be quite annoying :laughing: . I would want one to sort insurance malarkey out if someone bumps you whilst parked or pulls out in front of you, cash for crash stylee. No other reason. Obviously if I’m to blame for a ■■■■ up, I don’t want it recording. No way. Obviously :laughing:

I like to think I’m a decent enough driver, as in safe enough so far (touch wood/head) and try best to drive defensively (unless I’m flooring it then I descend into crap driver) but no one is perfect surely? There’s some simply incredible drivers on trucknet, I know, but us mere mortals have to be careful! Also what about when you want to drive in a spirited fashion? I don’t mean breaking speed limits, just getting to speed quickly. Suppose God forbid the power lead might fall out on those occasions :laughing: .

[/quote]
It seems a shame that people are so willing to give their freedoms away because it seems a bit too much trouble to fight against it.

As for moaning on a forum, I’ve found that on this and other things I’m not alone in my views, these are opinions that get very little coverage in the mainstream media, and as I’m not in the situation of having driver facing cameras being forced on me, I can’t really protest about it to the people I work for.
[/quote]
Perhaps my moaning comment was a bit wrong, after all I’m still talking about it!

My take is that its just part of the Health and Safety and where there’s blame there’s a claim culture we have now. Employer’s are basically shielding themselves from any blame they can, the electrified tipper driver being a good example. It may not be great but it has crept in over the years and people do accept it as the norm. it doesn’t really matter to the larger companies if you’ve been driving 25 years or 25 days you will still be seen as a potential liability that they need to protect themselves from if you mess up.

Now if yourself and RobRoy go on a cctv camera smashing spree calling for revolution I’d probably smile and say good on them, but I’m far to lazy to get the ball rolling really.

There’s nothing to stop you simply covering them up. The first time I encountered a camera, it was behind the sun flap. Simple, put the flap down and it can’t see you. It had a microphone fitted, so it was recording? The driver talking to himself? How does that help road safety?

The second one I came across I simply put a piece of tape over it. Nothing was ever said.

The last time I drove with one, I didn’t bother covering it up. Business as usual, had a ■■■ or a chocolate bar when I wanted. Nothing was ever said.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with them. But they don’t seem too be being monitored very much.

jbaz73:
There’s nothing to stop you simply covering them up. The first time I encountered a camera, it was behind the sun flap. Simple, put the flap down and it can’t see you. It had a microphone fitted, so it was recording? The driver talking to himself? How does that help road safety?

The second one I came across I simply put a piece of tape over it. Nothing was ever said.

The last time I drove with one, I didn’t bother covering it up. Business as usual, had a ■■■ or a chocolate bar when I wanted. Nothing was ever said.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with them. But they don’t seem too be being monitored very much.

I think is when it all goes wrong they get you. Suddenly you’ll regret picking that stubborn bogie when it’s being discussed in court with a video from the prosecution :laughing:

RB84:

muckles:
It seems a shame that people are so willing to give their freedoms away because it seems a bit too much trouble to fight against it.

As for moaning on a forum, I’ve found that on this and other things I’m not alone in my views, these are opinions that get very little coverage in the mainstream media, and as I’m not in the situation of having driver facing cameras being forced on me, I can’t really protest about it to the people I work for.

Now if yourself and RobRoy go on a cctv camera smashing spree calling for revolution I’d probably smile and say good on them, but I’m far to lazy to get the ball rolling really.

Sadly it seems those on here with the most revolutionary views and a burning desire to overthrow the establishment, are the more elderly of us and that probably means most of us will put our backs out as soon as we lob our first Molotov cocktail. :laughing:

Not sure what happened to the revolutionary yoofs, they seem unquestioning in their support of the free market capitalist system. And the only thing they seem to get worked up about is not having to pay tuition fees, which is really all about them. :cry:

eagerbeaver:

Dork Lard:

Conor:

the maoster:

No. You are wrong.

I can REQUEST tea with the Queen.

Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen though…

All they can request is footage related to the accident.

Also “all that is stored” is very little. I have been driving about 4 months and only set them off about 4 times. A harsh braking and hitting speed bumps a couple times when first started and once I hit the manual record when someone clipped my trailer. So their isn’t much to see anyway.

I have been told that due to the amount of recordings taken that they are only reviewed if the driver reports an issue anyway

kcrussell25:
I have been told that due to the amount of recordings taken that they are only reviewed if the driver reports an issue anyway

Guessing the person you should be wary off watching footage told you that :wink:

mrginge:

kcrussell25:

Guessing the person you should be wary off watching footage told you that :wink:

It was. However the company I work for has a lot of trucks so wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing was said regards the speed bumps so probably right

kcrussell25:

mrginge:

kcrussell25:

It was. However the company I work for has a lot of trucks so wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing was said regards the speed bumps so probably right

Most likely watching every movement at their leisure, they’ll tell drivers what they want to hear…