Legality of in cab cameras

I work for a company which has these, now being watched apparently every night for an unspecified amount of time.

I’ve read on here they are becoming more common, I thought they were for being used in the event of an accident however now being used for disciplinary reasons, what’s the thoughts on this? Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Stew73:
I work for a company which has these, now being watched apparently every night for an unspecified amount of time.

I’ve read on here they are becoming more common, I thought they were for being used in the event of an accident however now being used for disciplinary reasons, what’s the thoughts on this? Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Just knock one out when you’re on a break, if they sack you take them to a tribunal because you can do what you want when on your rest :smiley: :smiley:

Stew73:

Can of worms mate,.that has been debated to death on here many times before.
Obligatory replies off some ‘‘stars’’ on here are usually…

’ If you ain’t doing anything wrong etc etc’’

‘‘They are everywhere else so what’s the problem’’

‘‘Specified by insurance co.s… (As if that justifies it’’)

‘‘It’s fine as they don’t watch you ALL the time’’.
:unamused:

And much more from the totally brainwashed into accepting absolutely any old thing brigade b/s. :unamused:

I reckon they are an absolute affront just there to blame you, despite the very few examples given by those in the above categories where they actually helped a driver prove innocence, for every 1 of those examples there will sure as hell be a 1000 that had the opposite outcome.
I have the ones that go off during anywhere between harsh braking, picking up your trailer, to a serious rta, which are bad enough, apart from the outwatlrd facing aspect, the constant feed/surveillance are a complete ■■■■ take, and the reason I would he jacking.
I started this job many years ago for the freedoms associated with it, many of which have dwindled since that time.

Stew73:
Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Yep. Your choice is accept them or get another job. Despite what the handwringers on here think the office aren’t really interested in watching you driving several hours a night picking your nose.

robroy:
I reckon they are an absolute affront just there to blame you, despite the very few examples given by those in the above categories where they actually helped a driver prove innocence, for every 1 of those examples there will sure as hell be a 1000 that had the opposite outcome.[/quote[

Because given what I see going on, especially on a night time, it’s deserved. It ain’t rocket science, to be proven guilty by them you have to have done something guilty. The amount browsing social media or watching videos whilst they drive down the road is getting truly shocking now, as are the number of pallet network brigade shoving cars up the road sat 6ft from their bumper so in the case of something happening and them reviewing the footage more people will have hung themselves than been exhonerated.

Just wondering if the “do nothing wrong, nothing to worry about brigade” would be happy if their stunning wife was a trucker and had some little scrote watching her every move, on the other hand a bender in the transport office watching a male trucker for personal pleasure would be equally wrong.

Conor:

Stew73:
Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Yep. Your choice is accept them or get another job. Despite what the handwringers on here think the office aren’t really interested in watching you driving several hours a night picking your nose.

robroy:
I reckon they are an absolute affront just there to blame you, despite the very few examples given by those in the above categories where they actually helped a driver prove innocence, for every 1 of those examples there will sure as hell be a 1000 that had the opposite outcome.
[/quote[

Because given what I see going on, especially on a night time, it’s deserved. It ain’t rocket science, to be proven guilty by them you have to have done something guilty. The amount browsing social media or watching videos whilst they drive down the road is getting truly shocking now, as are the number of pallet network brigade shoving cars up the road sat 6ft from their bumper so in the case of something happening and them reviewing the footage more people will have hung themselves than been exhonerated.

Yep ok, but prevention is the answer, …with a deterrent in the mix.
Invest more in the people who’s actual job it is to monitor traffic and prevent accidents,.and uphold the law…‘The Police’ and Police presence on the road network as it once was.

Speaking as somebody who is totally against these ■■■■ things,.whether you or are not,…and who looks upon them as an insult to my experience and professionalism,…Why tf should I potentially have to endure them just because of the unprofessional d/heads that you mention.
An excellent example of a matter of principle,and I personally have a few of em. :bulb:

And I’m seeing sooooo many hgv drivers texting, browsing and just blatantly holding it to their ear in conversation whilst coming out of dock gate 20 and out onto Millbrook Bypass. Bring on the cameras I say coz those drivers are a disgrace.

Stew73:

Were they fitted before you started working there, if so then you’ve accepted their use by accepting the job, it was always going to be the case that ‘mission creep’ rules apply ie we tell you what you want to hear when they first go in or applying for a job but gradually their true purpose becomes apparent.

Sadly existing drivers accept these things being fitted, swallowing the sales spiel ■■■■■■■■ wholesale, doesn’t help that drivers as have many people who work for a living swallowed the line about ‘evil’ unions, and as a result these things get fitted and used without anything more than an odd whine of resilience.

If they were fitted after you started there, then inquiries should be made as to the results of the impact assessment and consultations that needed to be held before fitting these things, failing to do so leaves the company open to constructive dismissal claims, it’s all on the relevant govt pages.

Basically, unless you have a competent union and it sounds like you don’t because unions successfully get these things blocked (we did), or are prepared to raise some issues yourself, you have several choices as i see it.
1 find a better job without driver facing cameras
2 cover the thing up and carry on as normal and see what they want to do when they notice
3 accept it and carry on begrudgingly

My suggestion is number 1, i’d not drive a lorry with such a device fitted and suggest no one else does either

We can’t stop the installation now, too many have been fitted. The best we can do now is make sure the lense(s) don’t rust, by dabbing a bit of Vaseline on them. :wink: :smiling_imp:

When in the coaches they had all over CCTV including on the driver and quite a few times it’s saves me or helped others with convictions etc etc.

But on the other side of that they weren’t live feed and used a hard drive. That hard drive couldn’t be accessed just on a whim, footage had to be requested either by police or on receipt of a complaint and could only be watched by approved management with a paper trail for removal of disks, viewing of footage etc. Also only footage a certain amount of time either side of an alleged incident could be viewed. If someone complained and gave the wrong time… tough…

Basically there was a process to be followed to prohibit any rogue usage of footage or acts of vindictiveness by management which at least gave some confidence in them.

In the HGV world, I don’t see that process in place and I also see no reason for live feed cameras in any circumstances.

Live feed is just a ruse to scare trouble makers. Honestly can a company pay someone to follow drivers online for a full shift. Don’t think so. How many trucks in the fleet.

I would not drive a truck with a camera pointed at me…if it is for safety why are driver hours not looked at …no thought not, nothing in it for them…will the boss have one in his car or on his desk let them lead from the front

WheelsofCardiff:
Live feed is just a ruse to scare trouble makers. Honestly can a company pay someone to follow drivers online for a full shift. Don’t think so. How many trucks in the fleet.

I think it will be a big office in India/South Africa/Malaysia. Each person will have a big monitor in front of them with maybe 10 or so streams and will click a button on a feed when they notice something that needs reviewed. They will be getting paid some pence per hour and it will all be included in the cost of the “Fleet risk package” or whatever rubbish the camera provider would of branded it as to the haulier.

Even if they aren’t live streamed they are just there to catch drivers out I feel. Lytx advertise openly on their website how they effectively can get their AI to trigger a recording event simply by a driver moving their hands.

Maybe when you start sticking up for yourself and say “sorry boss can’t do a 15 hour shift today as mum’s birthday” “sorry not up for doing a night out” etc they then remember they have a bunch of recordings of you having a drink of water or munching and apple which is against company policy and your out the door?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I wonder if they listen/hear sound because when im driving i like to listen to controversial podcast/youtube …

WheelsofCardiff:

How do you define ‘‘trouble makers’’ exactly?
Those with the self respect to kick off when these things are forced on them?
If drivers have that type of ‘‘micro management’’ style view, and really believe that, then things are ■■■■ worse than even I thought. :open_mouth:
‘‘Hell and handcart’’ spring to mind. :unamused:

Also whether they watch you 24 hours or 24 seconds in the day is irrelevant,the fact that they ‘‘can’’ is enough for anybody with self respect to kick off about it. :unamused:

TruckDriverBen:
I wonder if they listen/hear sound because when im driving i like to listen to controversial podcast/youtube …

Me too. If the WOKE police had access to my camera/microphone I’d probably be jailed for the podcasts I listen to :laughing:

Ive got them in my new job.The trouble is,I like the rest of the job.I dont have to touch the load.There is no hassle.Much as I dont like the cameras,its not as bad as having to use a pump truck to heft heavy pallets.
Also,it must be admitted,if someone rings your manager up accusing you of driving dangerously,the video footage can work in your favour.One of my colleagues had a woman complain that he put her safety at risk because he wouldnt let her join the motorway.A quick look at the video footage exhonerated him

Gaffer tape works wonders when you are off duty or at rest…

Sploom:
Ive got them in my new job.The trouble is,I like the rest of the job.I dont have to touch the load.There is no hassle.Much as I dont like the cameras,its not as bad as having to use a pump truck to heft heavy pallets.
Also,it must be admitted,if someone rings your manager up accusing you of driving dangerously,the video footage can work in your favour.One of my colleagues had a woman complain that he put her safety at risk because he wouldnt let her join the motorway.A quick look at the video footage exhonerated him

Shouldn’t even have got to video footage that. A quick reminder if it being HER responsibility to JOIN a motorway safety should gave sufficed.

But therein lay part of the issue in the sense that the footage was used needlessly. And if they’re viewing it for such cut and dry accusations what else are they looking at. Unless there us a framework in place it’s not to view cameras with suspicion.

On another note, an in cab camera would have had absolutely zero bearing on footage for that incident. Stuck as many cameras on the outside as they want but inside uts gotta be very worth my while or have a strong framework for when it’s viewed.