Legality of in cab cameras

Yes,I agree,but unless we all stand together on this issue,we just have to learn to live with them.
As for standing together,last company I worked for,so many crossed the picket lines when a strike was called,it gives me an idea how many drivers would stick together on this issue

What did they say about them when you joined or they were fitted. Most internals,only work when the engine is on, variations of when moving and 60 seconds after stopping etc.
it is, or should be about communication from the employer to the driver.

If you have cameras in the cab use GDPR rules if you leave… or even agancy work… as might make them think twice about how much they use them, and how they use them.

Under Article 17 of the UK GDPR individuals have the right to have personal data erased. This is also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right only applies to data held at the time the request is received. It does not apply to data that may be created in the future.

Cab footage of you, is digital data held about you !

**EDIT … Just found this article below regarding similar concerns… so if enough drivers started reuesting data removal, might make them think about it more…articles about just tracking, so cameras is a much stronger case as identifies absalutely the indivual, and not a truck number, also camera footage could be used for stalking by a wierdo in the office, not just just perving on you… then hiding in a cubicle waiting for everyone to leave… :laughing: hahahahaha

Wont affect you, but will create extra work for them, as the fines are huge, and a self funded goverment department,

Template
Quick email to their Head Office HR …
your time [2minutes]
their time [Hours maybe]

EMAIL TEMPLATE…

To Whom It May Concern:

I am hereby requesting immediate erasure of personal data concerning me according to Article 17 GDPR.

[Please erase all personal data concerning me as defined by Article 4(1) GDPR.]

Please delete the following personal data concerning me:
INTERNAL CAB FOOTAGE

I am of the opinion that the requirements set forth in Article 17(1) GDPR are fulfilled. You cannot claim an exception based on Article 17(3) GDPR either, particularly as I am not a public figure.

If I have given consent to the processing of my personal data (e.g. according to Article 6(1) or Article 9(2) GDPR), I am hereby withdrawing said consent for the entire process.
In addition, I am objecting to the processing of personal data concerning me (which includes profiling), according to Article 21 GDPR. I request that you restrict the processing of the data concerning me pending the verification whether your legitimate grounds override mine, pursuant to Art. 18(1)(d) GDPR.

If you have made the aforementioned data public, you are obliged pursuant to Article 17(2) GDPR to take all reasonable steps to inform other controllers, including search engine operators, who process the personal data listed above, that I have requested the erasure of all links, copies or replications. This applies not only to exact copies of the data concerned, but also to those from which information contained in the data concerned can be derived.

In case you have disclosed the affected personal data to third parties, you have to communicate my request for erasure of the affected personal data, as well as any references to it, to each recipient as laid down in Article 19 GDPR. Please also inform me about those recipients.

If you object to the requested erasure, you have to justify that to me.

My request explicitly includes any other services and companies for which you are the controller as defined by Article 4(7) GDPR.

As laid down in Article 12(3) GDPR, you have to confirm the erasure to me without undue delay and in any event within one month of receipt of the request.

I am including the following information necessary to identify me:
Enter your identification data here. This often includes information like your name, your date of birth, your address, your email address and so on.

If you do not answer my request within the stated period, I am reserving the right to take legal action against you and to lodge a complaint with the responsible supervisory authority.

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Enter your name here.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: if you cant beat it, make it labour intensive for them…

Conor:

Stew73:
Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Yep. Your choice is accept them or get another job. Despite what the handwringers on here think the office aren’t really interested in watching you driving several hours a night picking your nose.

robroy:
I reckon they are an absolute affront just there to blame you, despite the very few examples given by those in the above categories where they actually helped a driver prove innocence, for every 1 of those examples there will sure as hell be a 1000 that had the opposite outcome.
[/quote[

Because given what I see going on, especially on a night time, it’s deserved. It ain’t rocket science, to be proven guilty by them you have to have done something guilty. The amount browsing social media or watching videos whilst they drive down the road is getting truly shocking now, as are the number of pallet network brigade shoving cars up the road sat 6ft from their bumper so in the case of something happening and them reviewing the footage more people will have hung themselves than been exhonerated.

hows a camera pointed at the driver going to stop tailgating?

Martin:
Gaffer tape works wonders when you are off duty or at rest…

This was always my answer to it , stick some tape over the lense , odd times after a holiday I’d find it gone , no idea of driver / office , just stuck another piece over it

Conor:

Stew73:
Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

Yep. Your choice is accept them or get another job. Despite what the handwringers on here think the office aren’t really interested in watching you driving several hours a night picking your nose.

robroy:
I reckon they are an absolute affront just there to blame you, despite the very few examples given by those in the above categories where they actually helped a driver prove innocence, for every 1 of those examples there will sure as hell be a 1000 that had the opposite outcome.
[/quote[

Because given what I see going on, especially on a night time, it’s deserved. It ain’t rocket science, to be proven guilty by them you have to have done something guilty. The amount browsing social media or watching videos whilst they drive down the road is getting truly shocking now, as are the number of pallet network brigade shoving cars up the road sat 6ft from their bumper so in the case of something happening and them reviewing the footage more people will have hung themselves than been exhonerated.

You sound like my old mate , apparently every night on his night trunk he see a bird with skirt up , no knickers , ■■■■ out , not a night went by , I’d see nothing on mine , I even did his trunk when he was on holiday & saw nothing , to be honest best I’ve seen is some cleavage & thigh in all the years I’ve been driving
And it’s the same with all these drivers watching tv , pc etc , I work mostly evening to upto midnight & see nothing , 99% of cabs are in darkness so I’m sure I’d see a tv if there was one , yet I see nothing , I did see a driver with a coffee in one of his hands though , but I’ve often got one so good luck to the bloke
And to be honest instead of looking in drivers cabsyou’d be better off looking at the bloody road in front of you

Just do what they do in the heist films or bank robberys, take a picture of yourself behind the wheel and pin it in front of the camera
Problem solved
Personally I would never drive a vehicle with cameras watching me, I would do anything like sticking a bit of gum in it or cutting the wire feed to it and gladly take the consequences pleading stupidity
It’s a personal space it might be a company space because they own it but they employed you because you have the experience and qualifications so why should that include 24 hour eye in the cab
The problem is not the cameras it’s the old definition that goes with this job, too many people who aren’t got a clue and too many minority people who have and it will never change
Unfortunately it’s the beast of the job coming from every walk of life with people jumping in and out, no unity, no interest in another driver, no conversation, no life, isolation, desperation, loneliness, willing to do anything, yes men to anything,
The list goes on and on
I would not even call it a career or a way of life why because if it was either of them it would be a much better job with better benefits and conditions
The true definition would be it’s a tinkers job, never knowing when you get home, never knowing when you could be overnight, never knowing how many hours you do, sleeping in a tin box just like a tinker, no offense but true, doing mad hours,
And the rest
So what ever block you fall into just put up with it as it’s probably why you still have a job
No harm in looking after your own interests and if that means having a camera facing you 24 hours a day then so be it
It’s the first step in automation

Stew73:
I work for a company which has these, now being watched apparently every night for an unspecified amount of time.

I’ve read on here they are becoming more common, I thought they were for being used in the event of an accident however now being used for disciplinary reasons, what’s the thoughts on this? Is it the case you knew they were there when you took the job so you need to accept and get on with it?

The title of the thread has “legality” in it so assume you wanted to know about this, well yes they are legal and a company has every right to install them. Whether you want to either take a job with that company or carry on working for them after being installed is another matter.

Just accepted a job with One stop. They have new mercedes actros with cameras. Do I care? No. After bus driving with tons of them watching me scratch my balls and pick my nose for 3 years I’m used to it They’re only viewed when an incident is reported anyway.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Just accepted a job with One stop. They have new mercedes actros with cameras. Do I care? No. After bus driving with tons of them watching me scratch my balls and pick my nose for 3 years I’m used to it They’re only viewed when an incident is reported anyway.

Can’t sure for sure but it’s part of Tesco and their vehicles don’t have inward facing cameras.

Acorn:
What did they say about them when you joined or they were fitted. Most internals,only work when the engine is on, variations of when moving and 60 seconds after stopping etc.
it is, or should be about communication from the employer to the driver.

They are in the process of fitting them to all our units,even the old knackers.I never thought to ask when I applied for the job but they did hsve 1/3 of the fleet fitted

Sploom:
Ive got them in my new job.The trouble is,I like the rest of the job.I dont have to touch the load.There is no hassle.Much as I dont like the cameras,its not as bad as having to use a pump truck to heft heavy pallets.
Also,it must be admitted,if someone rings your manager up accusing you of driving dangerously,the video footage can work in your favour.One of my colleagues had a woman complain that he put her safety at risk because he wouldnt let her join the motorway.A quick look at the video footage exhonerated him

thing is… all that can be proven with exterior cameras no need for internal ones. I am all for external cameras as like you say they can prove a persons innocence or guilt. Internal ones are there for one reason and one reason only to hang the driver.

Personaly if the company policy said no eating or drinking whilst driving and i wanted a drink because i was thirsty then i would pull over and have a drink

cooper1203:

Sploom:
Ive got them in my new job.The trouble is,I like the rest of the job.I dont have to touch the load.There is no hassle.Much as I dont like the cameras,its not as bad as having to use a pump truck to heft heavy pallets.
Also,it must be admitted,if someone rings your manager up accusing you of driving dangerously,the video footage can work in your favour.One of my colleagues had a woman complain that he put her safety at risk because he wouldnt let her join the motorway.A quick look at the video footage exhonerated him

thing is… all that can be proven with exterior cameras no need for internal ones. I am all for external cameras as like you say they can prove a persons innocence or guilt. Internal ones are there for one reason and one reason only to hang the driver.

Personaly if the company policy said no eating or drinking whilst driving and i wanted a drink because i was thirsty then i would pull over and have a drink

Not on DPD you wouldn’t

justpassing:

cooper1203:

Sploom:

Not on DPD you wouldn’t

I dont know where this ‘myth’ comes from about DPD and never stopping. They ‘prefer’ you to not stop. If you need to stop, you stop. Ring in (if they ever answer) and let them know. If they dont answer, tell them when you arrive. If you are desperate for the toilet, noone expects you to hold it in for the next 2 hours!!

Regarding drinking while driving, I have a sip water bottle, so its easy to use while driving , and I will continue to use that if Im thirsty regardless of in cab cameras. If they pull me up on it, I will inform them they have a choice. Either I drink from my bottle when I need to, or I pull over at every services en route for a drink.

justpassing:
Not on DPD you wouldn’t

Used to be a Linehaul driver. DPD don’t prevent you from stopping. What they do require is you ring in and they’ll give you a reference number to put on your sheet. This is so they know it’s a genuine stop and not something dodgy going on like a hijack.

Conor:

justpassing:
Not on DPD you wouldn’t

Used to be a Linehaul driver. DPD don’t prevent you from stopping. What they do require is you ring in and they’ll give you a reference number to put on your sheet. This is so they know it’s a genuine stop and not something dodgy going on like a hijack.

We aren’t Linehaul anymore… Renamed now to Transport lol. God knows why!

Swordsy:
I dont know where this ‘myth’ comes from about DPD and never stopping. They ‘prefer’ you to not stop. If you need to stop, you stop. Ring in (if they ever answer) and let them know. If they dont answer, tell them when you arrive. If you are desperate for the toilet, noone expects you to hold it in for the next 2 hours!!

Regarding drinking while driving, I have a sip water bottle, so its easy to use while driving , and I will continue to use that if Im thirsty regardless of in cab cameras. If they pull me up on it, I will inform them they have a choice. Either I drink from my bottle when I need to, or I pull over at every services en route for a drink.

I do a fair bit of shunting at our place and we use DPD and Hermes (now Evri) to pick up all the click and collect stuff, subsequently I often end up getting into small talk with the drivers as they are either dropping their trailer on a bay or taking one off as we have to do the salvo locks on the trailers. Never heard one of them say it’s a bad job nor a bad company to work for.

I did get talking to a driver one day about this no stopping thing after reading it on here and he pretty much said the same as you above - they aren’t saying you “can’t” stop, especially if it’s a long run, say 3 or 4 hours to another depot, just that if you do you are supposed to get this code so the planners can put it down against the run on the computer system if a trailer arrives later than planned at a depot. The gist I got from the conversation was that it wasn’t something they used to beat the drivers round the head with and was more just an administrative thing for the computers benefit.

I might have got it completely wrong but as an outsider to the company that was my reading.

tmcassett:

Swordsy:

I do a fair bit of shunting at our place and we use DPD and Hermes (now Evri) to pick up all the click and collect stuff, subsequently I often end up getting into small talk with the drivers as they are either dropping their trailer on a bay or taking one off as we have to do the salvo locks on the trailers. Never heard one of them say it’s a bad job nor a bad company to work for.

I did get talking to a driver one day about this no stopping thing after reading it on here and he pretty much said the same as you above - they aren’t saying you “can’t” stop, especially if it’s a long run, say 3 or 4 hours to another depot, just that if you do you are supposed to get this code so the planners can put it down against the run on the computer system if a trailer arrives later than planned at a depot. The gist I got from the conversation was that it wasn’t something they used to beat the drivers round the head with and was more just an administrative thing for the computers benefit.

And there was me thinking you were obliged to wet yourself (or worse) lol.

It just goes to show the mentality and the thinking of people, reading through the lines there is a lot that are afraid to even drink from a bottle of water while driving with in cab cameras
The reality of a truck driver
Allowed to work 15 hours a day
In cab cameras
Debriefing after a days work, and asked stupid questions if you stopped somewhere
Putting up with rubbish people when you’re only trying to do your job
Underpaid and overworked
Not much of a life, work to bed, bed to work
Promises and lies
Stress and unhealthy diet
Delays and traffic
Other Road users
The people who have a backbone won’t suffer with any of the above, unfortunately it’s the majority who do not have a backbone will ruin it for the rest
Just saying like

Thanks for your answers, the reason for asking is that some drivers are now being disciplined having been watched on the camera, they are not just in the event of an accident.