Camera's in cabs

Could i have some input on this one…

Have heard a rumour company wants to put cameras in cabs that not only focus on road but also what the driver is doing !

I can understand the road safety aspect of seeing what idiots are doing in front of you. However, i feel this is an invasion of privacy if the camera is on the driver.

Any views ■■ (pardon the pun…)

its to catch you out ■■■■■■■■ out the window :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Suppose other workers have to put up with this in offices and warehouses and the like but could you turn them off during your break or when tramping.

Could they sack you if you got the ■■■■ on your dvd and whipped it out for instance when on a night out.

No doubt its to catch they criminals that have a fly ■■■.

The reasons for this will be on the same lines that all National Express single deck coaches have them. There are four, two to the outside, left and right. One mounted on the dashboard looking out, and one at the front of the coach covering it right to the rear. here are the reasons:
1, If you have an accident, they can tell if you are lying about the circumstances.
2 If someone rings up about your driving, they can look at it.
3 they can tell if you are using your mobile hands free, and what else you are doing whilst in the cab.

The camera’s will have a hard drive that can hold all footage for up to a month.

I heard a funny one regarding one of the Nat Ex coach companies that put satellite trackers into it’s vans to keep an eye on its drivers. They fitted the ariel tracker to the roof, and the tracker had a round hole in the middle. the drivers fitted a piece of copper piping in said hole, and the tracker’s signal was blocked. Apparently the bosses never worked out why they coudld’t see their vehicles.

Logistics Loader:
Could i have some input on this one…

Have heard a rumour company wants to put cameras in cabs that not only focus on road but also what the driver is doing !

I can understand the road safety aspect of seeing what idiots are doing in front of you. However, i feel this is an invasion of privacy if the camera is on the driver.

Any views ■■ (pardon the pun…)

This bloody ‘big brother’ society we live in now is getting out of hand. Will they be fitting those cameras in all the company cars and the boardroom too, with footage available to all who wish to view it?

Actually you’ll find its the insurance companies that are suggesting the cameras are used.

They offer a bigger discount if the cameras are fitted as it shows if the driver fell asleep, or if he was cut up etc etc etc

It wont be long before they become a factory fitted standard in cars as well :wink:

That’s stuffed us up for having a crafty sandwich on the motorway then.

tofer:
That’s stuffed us up for having a crafty sandwich on the motorway then.

Or gabbing on the hand held mobile whilst joining the motorway from a slip road, like the bulk tipper artic with the ‘Hev Hire’ trailer on the London bound M20 around 9:30am this morning.

a few of our trucks have all round cameras fitted to them. however the one in the cab only films the road ahead and not in the cab itself. apparently it does save on the insurance and recently we were shown a few videos on a training day of accidents were the other party was at fault but tried it on anyway as they do untill this video evidence was shown and then the cases were dropped.

this system records all the time the ignition is on and for 30 seconds only once the ignition is off. its stored on a hard drive in the cab and records 24 hours worth and then overwrites itself. data is only downloaded if involve in an incident/ accident.
only last week we we informed that as the price of this equipment has dropped to under £500 per vehicle it will be fitted to every truck in the fleet.

.personally it dont bother me at all, but i would not drive if it recorded inside the cab (especially whilst doing nights out in it.)

i think the benefits of this system is great in this day and age and the only disadvantage is that if you had an at fault accident then it could be used against you.

also just to add. this system also displays on the recorded video your speed, wether your lights were on or of, wether you were braking and indicating etc.

one of the recent ones were it helped a driver was when one of our trucks was in london in the middle lane of a three lane carriageway. he was stationaryand was about 20 yards away from the traffic lights which are on red. he is about 4 feet behind a white van .
now the rear camera picks up a guy on a motorbike who is riding along the gutter on the inside lane, passing all the stationary cars. then as he gets level with the cab of our truck he crosses lane one and plonks himself right under the nearside front of the truck of the truck.
anyhow our drive clearly could not see him and as the traffic moved forward our chap pulled away and knocked the guy off the motorbike.
now our chap who is a keen biker of over 20 years asked the guy (foreigner) why would he place himseld smack infront of the n/s corner of a truck and the guy just went on about damge to the bike and i sue you etc,etc.

our driver then pointed out all the camera to the guy on the bike, and believe it or not the guy got back on the bike and drove of at speed( again on video), filtering through all the cars etc and then jumped the light.

at first tbh i was not sure wether it was our guys fault or not , but after watching the video it was clear he was,nt. why would a biker do all that filtering then stop hidden in the front corner of the truck when he could have quite easily filtered all the way to the traffic lights some 20 yards further up the road ■■?.

I sometimes run cameras front and back on my motorbike, but that is personal preference and not forced upon me. Truck driving used to be a job that you could ‘escape’ from the watchful eye of management. Not much longer…

It wouldn’t bother me so long it didn’t record errr what I do when I’m not working!!!

It would seriously bother me because to relieve the boredom on the very long trunks I do at night I do all manner of disgusting, illegal and downright dangerous things, such as picking my nose, smoking, ■■■■■■■■■■■■, talking on the hand held mobile phone with friends, getting angry with other drivers and more, sometimes more than one of those things at once, which, if I couldn’t do, would literally drive me to insanity. Then, there is the incessant conversations I indulge in with myself and nightly dogging. Seeing as I do not take kindly to being filmed jacking off in a dark car park whilst peering through somebodys car window, I shall protest to my highest ability at such a manoeuvre in similar fashion to the petition set up by armed robbers against the closure of rural post offices.

So, if we got cameras filming the driver, I would seriously, and quite literally quit driving for a living. No doubt about it.

ezydriver:
It would seriously bother me because to relieve the boredom on the very long trunks I do at night I do all manner of disgusting, illegal and downright dangerous things, such as picking my nose, smoking, ■■■■■■■■■■■■, talking on the hand held mobile phone with friends, getting angry with other drivers and more, sometimes more than one of those things at once, which, if I couldn’t do, would literally drive me to insanity. Then, there is the incessant conversations I indulge in with myself and nightly dogging. Seeing as I do not take kindly to being filmed jacking off in a dark car park whilst peering through somebodys car window, I shall protest to my highest ability at such a manoeuvre in similar fashion to the petition set up by armed robbers against the closure of rural post offices.

So, if we got cameras filming the driver, I would seriously, and quite literally quit driving for a living. No doubt about it.

:open_mouth: ■■■■■■■■■■■■ whilst driving is a very dangerous thing unless your are doing it handsfree.

I know B&Q have a Volvo with all these cameras in it on trial at Branston!

dave:

ezydriver:

:open_mouth: ■■■■■■■■■■■■ whilst driving is a very dangerous thing unless your are doing it handsfree.

Handsfree ■■■■■■■■■■■■? You’d need a very flexible back for that & it opens up a whole new debate, yes the sensation would be pretty good, but you just wouldn’t put it in your mouth would you :open_mouth:

We have these cameras fitted on our buses,the only place that is not covered is the drivers area,the platform camera might see the top of your head if you are very tall.I have seen the footage of an incident which i was involved in and you could not see me at all.

newmercman:

dave:

ezydriver:

Handsfree ■■■■■■■■■■■■? You’d need a very flexible back for that & it opens up a whole new debate, yes the sensation would be pretty good, but you just wouldn’t put it in your mouth would you :open_mouth:

if i could i’d save a f’ing fortune!!!

i am sure the unions wll not allow this…ha…ha

how the hell am i supposed to knock one out now!!! :blush: its bad enough having curtains that let any light in… :laughing: :laughing: but having my boss watching me aswell!! thats shocking… :blush:

External cameras would be good, internal bad.