Driver Facing Cameras in Cabs

TomCrin:
Got to happen and the sooner the better. Too many lives being needlessly lost through the Driver not concentrating on their driving. Yes the courts are there to deal with offenders but often than not it’s too late. How often do you hear the words, no problem with cameras if you’re not doing anything wrong.

Who determines that what you’re doing is wrong? And what if the goalposts move? Not only does it show a lack of respect and trust on the employers part, it also gives them absolute authority over you.

Extra cameras were mentioned at my place, my response was " how much notice do you need", I wasn’t the only one. Needless to say, we don’t have them.

A decent Union should be able to say what the company can and cannot use the cameras for i.e footage only used if there is an accident.

maga:
A decent Union should be able to say what the company can and cannot use the cameras for i.e footage only used if there is an accident.

How many drivers these days are represented by any union, let alone a decent one?

robroy:

AndrewG:

robroy:
Quite looking forward to them in a way.

It’ll give me a bloody good reason to get tf out of the job at last. :sunglasses:
…and leave it to those who don’t care ‘‘cos they’re doing nothing wrong’’
:unamused:

Ffs! :laughing:

Theres obviously some on here that dont seem to mind them, so im with you on that one, ill leave it with them… :grimacing:

I think those who don’t mind them are either stupid, completely switched off from giving a [zb] about any goddam thing, invertebrate eunuchs, habitual conformists, or a combination of all.
I don’t give a shiny crap whether bus drivers, bank tellers, butchers bakers or [zb] candlestickmakers have them, the day they become The Norm in THIS job, is the day when the job is totally and finally… Donaldducked…end of.

Yeah yeah yeah. But you did accept the spy in the cab. And you accepted the CPC. And you will accept a camera in your cab.

Me? I will crack one off, before spreading my arse cheeks in front of it. Let’s see if the office like that, or will have te balls to mention it…

muckles:
“If you not doing anything wrong”, normally quoted by people everytime the state wants to take a little bit more of your freedom away.

Indeed. My stock reply to “nothing to hide nothing to fear” is “you won’t mind if a burly policeman on the street checks your ■■■■■■ every so often then, will you? You know, just to be sure.” :laughing:

We have all the monitoring equipment fitted , and safety is paramount , but the big cheese drew the line at inward facing cams . It would have been the final straw for many , for once the company sided with it’s drivers . No lawyer , but last I heard was cameras focused on employees , as opposed to cctv, are illegal in my Province . 'kin things .

I begrudgingly tolerated auto gearboxes, trackers, increasing health and safety ■■■■■■■■, worsening congestion and driving standards, stagnant wages and prolific EE labour, stricter weight and parking restrictions, more infuriating night closures, telematics, and even forward facing cameras, but I always said the last straw for me would be inward facing cameras. My firm have them fitted to all their 17 plate motors, and as yet I’ve managed to avoid driving one. As I’ve mentioned a couple of times, I’m taking active steps from January to leave my company and this industry once and for all, because I see where it’s heading and I’ve finally had enough. I’m walking because there’s no joy anymore, and what little freedom remains will inevitably go. I no longer recognise this job or the industry.

Just 10-15 years ago we had waxy tacho charts and cab-phones only. Now we have digi tachos, trackers, inward facing cameras, outward facing cameras, telematics, police tractor units with video cameras, and newspaper articles with clear photos of drivers with captions reading “this driver was photographed looking at a piece of paper”. My god. Think about that for one moment. The real enemy is not so much employers or the insurance companies, but the placated herds who fail to see, understand, or care for the insiduous and dehumanising evil befalling all of us: totalitarianism. It’s happening right in front of our noses, but we have dummies for adults to comfort us and release feel good endorphines to stop us thinking or caring about it - namely smartphones and candy crush.

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

AndrewG:

robroy:
Quite looking forward to them in a way.

It’ll give me a bloody good reason to get tf out of the job at last. :sunglasses:
…and leave it to those who don’t care ‘‘cos they’re doing nothing wrong’’
:unamused:

Ffs! :laughing:

Theres obviously some on here that dont seem to mind them, so im with you on that one, ill leave it with them… :grimacing:

I think those who don’t mind them are either stupid, completely switched off from giving a [zb] about any goddam thing, invertebrate eunuchs, habitual conformists, or a combination of all.
I don’t give a shiny crap whether bus drivers, bank tellers, butchers bakers or [zb] candlestickmakers have them, the day they become The Norm in THIS job, is the day when the job is totally and finally… Donaldducked…end of.

Yeah yeah yeah. But you did accept the spy in the cab. And you accepted the CPC. And you will accept a camera in your cab.

Ok, so now you’re telling me what I will and won’t do in a situation.
Trust me bud, you are totally wrong on this.
Apart from the disrespect to me personally, and the utter liberty of it and ■■■■ taking issues which would make me jack it all in, I physically could not do my job in that situation, nor would want to.
I would be totally unsafe as all my attention would be focused on the fact that some ■■■■ in an office was watching me…(the samereason my accident/event camera inward facing part is also covered…the one that I am told is there for my benefit :unamused: …, yeh right.)

As for comparing it to tachos and CPC, in terms of adversity towards the driver, it’s a bit like comparing a wedgey with a knife in the chest. :bulb:

There is one thing worse than firms advocating cameras, and that is characters like the o/p who are drivers, (still think it’s a wind up by an alias type btw) not only agreeing with it, but regurgitating all the management bullcrap that is used to try and sell it to us. :unamused:
The type of driver who drives gripping the wheel for dear life nose up to windscreen in his hi viz, and wears his hard hat to do his daily 16.575 minute checks every morning. :unamused: :laughing:

I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

If you said to me 28 years ago when I started in the game one day there will be a camera in you’re cab pointing right at you I would have said you were mad.

However the job has been dumbed down and so poorly paid in recent years the dross we now have at the helm is frightening, and they need watching.

Most of us have a good dose of old fashioned professional pride and find that being monitored and watched unacceptable, I’m happy with forward facing cameras and cameras in general work areas, being pointed at me at my place of work, no.

Darkside:
I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

There you have it, I don’t want it but I will bend over and do as I am told, screw my rights to privacy … that other driver was breaking the law … what next, a test every year to renew your licence because someone else got done for drink drive … man up ffs.

discoman:

Darkside:
I think…

There you have it, I don’t want it but I will bend over and do as I am told, screw my rights to privacy … that other driver was breaking the law … what next, a test every year to renew your licence because someone else got done for drink drive … man up ffs.

Sorry to spoil a good rant, but I said I wouldn’t want one on me… :unamused:

If phones could not be used while vehicle is moving no need for cameras

I’m surprised no one has yet brought up the perceived indignity of having a camera watching you getting undressed…

the nodding donkey:
I’m surprised no one has yet brought up the perceived indignity of having a camera watching you getting undressed…

Possibly because the camera is only when the vehicle is being driven… although I wouldn’t put it past some people to strip when driving :laughing:

Drivers watching ■■■■, texting, using a hand held phone whilst driving etc are in the same club plant pot league as those who don’t hand their real keys in at delivery/collection points.

Worst of it is they think they are being clever, Muppet’s of the highest order. Probably all closet homos as well.

muckles:

maga:

How many drivers these days are represented by any union, let alone a decent one?

The data protection act does that for you. No union required. They can only be checked by certain people, in certain circumstances.

If your firm has them ask for a copy of their data protection policy and the policy specifically relating to the cameras. They are legally required to provide you with it

Darkside:

the nodding donkey:

Possibly because the camera is only when the vehicle is being driven… although I wouldn’t put it past some people to strip when driving :laughing:

We have a forward facing camera and that stays active for 30 mins after the ignition is off

Darkside:

discoman:

Darkside:
I think…

Sorry to spoil a good rant, but I said I wouldn’t want one on me… :unamused:

Wouldn’t want it on you but will accept it … that’s the point, I can’t understand decent drivers accepting intrusive stuff as the norm … in my job, I have a body cam I wear and switch it on prior to any interactions with my customer … but, if I were a driver, I would not accept being watched 24/7 … the “if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about brigade” are talking tosh.

Darkside:
I think…

Would it have saved him or is it only useful as evidence after the incident?

People like that driver believe they can’t get caught and won’t crash while they’re distracted and will eventually ignore the camera.

It would be better to find a way of switching off mobile devices when the truck is in motion, or instead of the Police being so reliant on cameras, actually have enough patrols to catch enough people to makes others realise they won’t always get away with it. The up side is we might actually see an improvement in driving standards.