Driver Facing Cameras in Cabs

discoman:

Darkside:

discoman:

Darkside:
I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

There you have it, I don’t want it but I will bend over and do as I am told, screw my rights to privacy … that other driver was breaking the law … what next, a test every year to renew your licence because someone else got done for drink drive … man up ffs.

Sorry to spoil a good rant, but I said I wouldn’t want one on me… :unamused:

Wouldn’t want it on you but will accept it … that’s the point, I can’t understand decent drivers accepting intrusive stuff as the norm … in my job, I have a body cam I wear and switch it on prior to any interactions with my customer … but, if I were a driver, I would not accept being watched 24/7 … the “if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about brigade” are talking tosh.

Mate can you read?

I didn’t say I would accept either…

I can remember driving before speed limiters. I remember a DAF 3600 I had for a while with a 16 speed box. You couldn’t get into the top split at anything under 65 fully loaded. Then because of truck accidents speed limiters were forced on us.

We now have drink/drug testing because people can’t be trusted to come to work sober.

I will tell you now, as soon as there is a decent drop in insurance costs to hauliers fitting inward facing cameras we will all have them.

End of.

Just because I think we will have them it doesn’t mean I agree with it.

I’m out of it now, but it isn’t something I welcome, every time you board a train or a bus, you are on camera, every railway station, airport, hospital and supermarket have them. But try filming a hobby Bobby or a gobby copper and see what they say

Wheel Nut 3:
I’m out of it now, but it isn’t something I welcome, every time you board a train or a bus, you are on camera, every railway station, airport, hospital and supermarket have them. But try filming a hobby Bobby or a gobby copper and see what they say

You can film the OB and it’s legal

discoman:

Darkside:

discoman:

Darkside:
I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

There you have it, I don’t want it but I will bend over and do as I am told, screw my rights to privacy … that other driver was breaking the law … what next, a test every year to renew your licence because someone else got done for drink drive … man up ffs.

Sorry to spoil a good rant, but I said I wouldn’t want one on me… :unamused:

Wouldn’t want it on you but will accept it … that’s the point, I can’t understand decent drivers accepting intrusive stuff as the norm … in my job, I have a body cam I wear and switch it on prior to any interactions with my customer … but, if I were a driver, I would not accept being watched 24/7 …. the “if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about brigade” are talking tosh.

More ill informed tosh. You’re not being watched 24/7.

Do you work for the Daily Wail?

no thanks ,tachos,trackers,tablet instead of del notes so they know where you are and cameras at all the del and collection points think thats more than enough thanks never mind cctv on every street

Grumpy Dad:

Wheel Nut 3:

You can film the OB and it’s legal

Oh I know you can, but they do take the hump

Had one on my last truck.
Just pointed it at the floor.
Nobody said owt.

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work. Even more dumbing down of the job no doubt soon to be under the BS umbrella of H&S… :unamused:

In almost every other industry the boss can see you, he is probably there supervising. Take a look at supermarkets now, it’s normal to have a camera over every checkout, there to protect customers, staff and the company.
I would have no problem with camera’s in the cab during my duty times, but it would go off when I pulled my card!

An article about driver surveillance:

transportoperator.co.uk/2017/06/ … veillance/

Martin:

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work. Even more dumbing down of the job no doubt soon to be under the BS umbrella of H&S… :unamused:

In almost every other industry the boss can see you, he is probably there supervising. Take a look at supermarkets now, it’s normal to have a camera over every checkout, there to protect customers, staff and the company.
I would have no problem with camera’s in the cab during my duty times, but it would go off when I pulled my card!

The thing is one of the things that attracted a lot of drivers to the job, was being left alone to get on with it, not because we’re lazy, (although plenty that are around) but because by our nature many drivers do tend to be “more individual” than your average worker, probably one of the reasons it’s very difficult to get drivers to stick together.

Also the evidence from the camera is only seen after an event and while introducing them might change driver’s actions for a short time, people soon get used to things and go back to their old ways. So it isn’t really going to stop the problems in the long term, just show what happened after the event.

TomCrin:
Got to happen and the sooner the better. Too many lives being needlessly lost through the Driver not concentrating on their driving. Yes the courts are there to deal with offenders but often than not it’s too late. How often do you hear the words, no problem with cameras if you’re not doing anything wrong.

So you also are dumb enough to believe that tripe when it’s our traitorous government wanting to remove your online rights to privacy too then,? after all, “if you are doing no wrong you have nothing to worry about” ? this justifies them spying on us all,? and it being mandatory for ISP’s holding that data for 12 months and if you knew the full list of agencies that can access our data it’s an abuse of our human rights all under the guise that it is to prevent terror attacks,
whilst they are welcoming returning known jihadi fighters who have been on murdering sprees, Are being given priority on lists for council houses, and even a job, in airport security, because they think that these savages can be reprogramed
Some of this may appear to be off topic, maybe it is but it is relevant in this Orwellian state of surveillance we live in

Had one in one of my old jobs. It was on the windscreen behind the sun flap. If you wanted a ■■■, you just put the sun flap down and cover it. Genius. It had a microphone too, so you had to be careful what you said.

So the camera is for safety? To catch distracted drivers? I once missed my exit on the motorway, isotrack saw this and I got constant phone calls from the office. I don’t pick up when driving, so they rang me 30+ times to tell me I was off route. When I stopped I rang the office and they were most miffed I didn’t answer. The constant calls from the office are a bigger risk to road safety than a driver having a ■■■ or rearranging his tackle.

Technology has changed this job, and not all for the better.

The thing I cannot understand about driver facing camera’s is using them can only ever get you into trouble.

You do not need to prove what you were or were not doing in the cab in those few seconds before an incident, they need to prove that you were doing something wrong.

Why on earth would an insurer insist that these camera’s be fitted? It can only prove that they are the ones who’ll be paying out.

Why would any TM want them fitting, are they stupid? Surely they have an inkling who are their rogue drivers?

The reasons for these cameras are two-fold. One, that the company has been talked into fitting them by some clever corporate BS-laden advertising that promises reduced insurance premiums, better driving standards and all the rest.

The other is that a proportion of drivers simply cannot be trusted to do the job in a responsible manner with consideration to vehicle sympathy and fuel consumption (along with the safety of themselves and others) without Big Brother breathing down their necks. As ever, the industry uses the lowest common denominator approach rather than dealing with the problem outright, and its actions are dictated by the minority who have no business driving a sit-on mower, never mind holding a HGV licence. Although that said, I’m no longer convinced that these idiots form a mere minority.

The surveillance/monitoring of drivers is set to increase. The technology that will assist and monitor ‘drivers’ in the platooning trucks of the future (assuming that some trucks won’t be ‘driverless’) will be tested on the existing driver community first. Some of it will be restricted to small samples but there will be aspects of it that will stick and be introduced to the mainstream. There is currently no limit on the amount of monitoring and surveillance a driver can be put under. However, a recent court case involving a university that videoed its lecturers found that the university had breached the lecturers’ human rights

Paragraph 59 will set off a right bun fight!

bailii.org/eu/cases/ECHR/2017/1068.html

A lot of drivers on this forum won’t experience a platooning truck. They will’ve retired. But young apprentice drivers now in their late teens/early twenties will do later in their careers. And it remains to be seen whether they’ll adapt to the new technology. It’s a far cry from the job description they signed up for. Cameras etc are only in trucks now because they cost a few quid to buy and install. Cost did it, not a sudden need to monitor driver behaviour. Cameras would’ve been in trucks thirty years ago if the price was right then. Operators could’ve watched their drivers reading books, newspapers and putting the kettle or indeed the wire on. Humans are fallible. They are devious and get up to all sorts. At the end of the Cold War the East German Stasi Secret Police who were experts at monitoring and surveillance said that one individual is no more or less deviant than another all things considered.
Cameras are nothing to worry about when compared to fitness trackers. What would really win votes and impress the public would be to get the authorities to plug drivers into fitness trackers and record their biorhythms just like NASA did to Astronaut Tim Peake in outer space. Hands up who thinks ‘drivers’ of platooning trucks won’t be plugged in like this lol?

the nodding donkey:
Me? I will crack one off, before spreading my arse cheeks in front of it. Let’s see if the office like that, or will have te balls to mention it…

Theyre not going to mention it are they…most likely mentally scarred for life… :grimacing:

David H:
An article about driver surveillance:

transportoperator.co.uk/2017/06/ … veillance/

Here’s a couple of quotes from that article.

Today’s cutting edge telematics are yet to be fully developed. Before long, systems will measure personal data via wristband fitness and activity trackers, to identify heart rate, blood pressure, stress, fatigue and sleep apnoea.

That’s most drivers in jeopardy then. Compulsory wristband said your blood pressure was 3% under optimum, and that by your 14th hour you must have been too tired to drive. Ten years imprisonment for causing death by careless driving. But fear not, because while you’re there the article assures you that…

An inmate in a Category A prison is placed under less surveillance [than a lorry driver].

Now tell me if you’re doing nothing wrong you’ve got nothing to fear. You might not know your stress level is a wrong doing, if only momentarily, but your wristband’s scoring system will. Laugh if you must, but one of our drivers received a letter telling him the telematics flagged up a speeding incident. He went 60.28 mph for 1.3 seconds, and was warned to watch his speed or face possible disciplinary action. Sad times now, depressing times ahead.

Get out while you can.

It won’t stop the accidents it will just prove the cause

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
It won’t stop the accidents it will just prove the cause

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Which is what it’s all about. Litigation. Follow the money to understand why things are the way they are.

harrawaffa:
See here for how well the cameras work: youtube.com/watch?v=tRq0h3rVYn4

Makes you feel sick, doesn’t it? Innocent families devastated forever because of one careless prick