Driver Facing Cameras in Cabs

Shandy123:

harrawaffa:
See here for how well the cameras work: youtube.com/watch?v=tRq0h3rVYn4

Makes you feel sick, doesn’t it? Innocent families devastated forever because of one careless prick

Agreed absolutely horrific incident, but having a camera in the cab didn’t stop it happening, neither did the driver signing a document on that day or not long before, saying they wouldn’t use their phones while driving stop it happening.

muckles:

Darkside:
I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

Would it have saved him or is it only useful as evidence after the incident?

People like that driver believe they can’t get caught and won’t crash while they’re distracted and will eventually ignore the camera.

It would be better to find a way of switching off mobile devices when the truck is in motion, or instead of the Police being so reliant on cameras, actually have enough patrols to catch enough people to makes others realise they won’t always get away with it. The up side is we might actually see an improvement in driving standards.

It certainly didnt stop that Polish bellend who wiped a family out whilst scrolling through his swan & carp menu.

Darkside:
I think…

An inward facing camera just may have saved that poor blokes life on the M69, when that piece of dross had been watching ■■■■ on his phone.

I agree, but if inward facing cameras become industry standard, they WILL be abused to bully/hassle drivers even more. Not by many, but enough to make people think ‘duck that for a job’.

eagerbeaver:

muckles:

Darkside:
I think…

I wouldn’t want a camera on me, but unfortunately the pendulum is swinging that way.

Would it have saved him or is it only useful as evidence after the incident?

People like that driver believe they can’t get caught and won’t crash while they’re distracted and will eventually ignore the camera.

It would be better to find a way of switching off mobile devices when the truck is in motion, or instead of the Police being so reliant on cameras, actually have enough patrols to catch enough people to makes others realise they won’t always get away with it. The up side is we might actually see an improvement in driving standards.

It certainly didnt stop that Polish bellend who wiped a family out whilst scrolling through his swan & carp menu.

See my previous post. :wink:

:blush: Note to self; Always read posts from Muckles thoroughly before making a post of one’s own.

I’d love to see one of these camera’d up firms like DHL have all their drivers pull over for a 45 each time they yawn. Can’t risk an incident just after a yawn, even it was only inspired by boredom not tiredness!

slowlane:
I’d love to see one of these camera’d up firms like DHL have all their drivers pull over for a 45 each time they yawn. Can’t risk an incident just after a yawn, even it was only inspired by boredom not tiredness!

When I worked for Iceland (DHL prior to XPO), one of their artic drivers had recently killed somebody on the M53 . The trainers were very keen to stress to us the importance of not driving tired.

eagerbeaver:

slowlane:

When I worked for Iceland (DHL prior to XPO), one of their artic drivers had recently killed somebody on the M56 just outside Warrington. The trainers were very keen to stress to us the importance of not driving tired.

This is where the industry is hypocritical, all the corporate H&S says drivers shouldn’t be tired, yet the industry is run on long hours and start times that doesn’t promote healthy working where drivers are properly rested.

Apologies for the mistake on my post. The collision was actually on the M53 not the M56.

There is footage as the bloke piles into the standing traffic :frowning: (From memory it was on here at the time).

Just Google Iceland lorry crash M53.

AndrewG:

the nodding donkey:
Me? I will crack one off, before spreading my arse cheeks in front of it. Let’s see if the office like that, or will have te balls to mention it…

Theyre not going to mention it are they…most likely mentally scarred for life… :grimacing:

I bloody well hope so.

Mind you, if that doesn’t do it, watching me go through my different personalities probably will.

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work. Even more dumbing down of the job no doubt soon to be under the BS umbrella of H&S… :unamused:

Other industries do. Work in any shop, bank etc etc and you’re being watched continuously by cctv.

I don’t give a monkies about being watched in the cab. For one I’m already watched in many places. Secondly I really am doing nout wrong so don’t have to worry. Thirdly whilst there is undoubtedly an element of the company snooping the footage might exonerate me in the event of an incident.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work. Even more dumbing down of the job no doubt soon to be under the BS umbrella of H&S… :unamused:

Other industries do. Work in any shop, bank etc etc and you’re being watched continuously by cctv.

I don’t give a monkies about being watched in the cab. For one I’m already watched in many places. Secondly I really am doing nout wrong so don’t have to worry. Thirdly whilst there is undoubtedly an element of the company snooping the footage might exonerate me in the event of an incident.

Yee haa…Friday night on TNUK is off and running, fasten yer seatbelts…

images.jpg

Dork Lard:
The thing I cannot understand about driver facing camera’s is using them can only ever get you into trouble.

You do not need to prove what you were or were not doing in the cab in those few seconds before an incident, they need to prove that you were doing something wrong.

Why on earth would an insurer insist that these camera’s be fitted? It can only prove that they are the ones who’ll be paying out.

Why would any TM want them fitting, are they stupid? Surely they have an inkling who are their rogue drivers?

Surely you can see the glaring fault with your arguement, that being that the insurance companies are pushing for driver facing cameras along with forward facing cameras in the hope (gamble) that in the event of an accident or incident they can prove categorically via the video evidence that their insured driver wasnt negligent in any way and the accident or incident was entirely the fault of others,
That would save them some large payouts where, without video evidence, the balance of probability of blame comes down against the driver.

Forward facing, and now side and rear, cameras have become a vital assecory since ‘crash for cash’ was made profitable by … guess who? The insurance companies, and their lackies, the solicitor. (Funny how being a solicitor can be either a very expensive made up job, or a man asking a woman to sick his ■■■■ for a fiver…)

IronEddie:

AndrewG:

Newbie talk, excepting it already. My truck doesn’t even have a tracker on it and we successfully travel UK, Ireland and the EU. Company doesn’t even contact us for days sometimes as they assume everything is going to plan if the customer has not rung them up to tell them otherwise.

Compared to my very brief stint at DHL tradeteam years ago where even though we were tracked you were constantly giving ETA’s to different staff members on the phone of which wasn’t bloody hands free.

Slight drift but it’s about cameras. Noticed whilst walking into Tesco the amount of cars that have dashcams. Never thought about it myself. Anyhoo…

Few weeks back one night I saw a 4x4 reverse into a stationary car behind outside a local shop. Hit really hard, enough to ride over the front then slide back down. Middle aged bloke and his mate in their 40s. I was watching this drama from across the road whilst waiting for my Indian (takeaway) :smiley: . They thought about it for a sec then tried to drive off. I woke up then ran across the road and banged in his door. They stopped in the road, looked sort of confused (whilst I was trying to tell them not to drive off as I’d seen them smack this car) then they buggered off. Not wanting to get squashed I just got the plate. Found the owner in the shop and gave the details.

Anyway, turns out some of these dashcams have parking modes, so they’ll record stuff like that. I could see the attraction of such a thing after that little drama :laughing:

What we are slowly seeing creeping in is the establishment brain washing to ensure a generation of sheep who will bend over and accept any erosion of their rights because “if youre doing nothing wrong youve nothing to fear”.
And whats more, they parrot this mince and somehow think it makes them intelligent

The-Snowman:
What we are slowly seeing creeping in is the establishment brain washing to ensure a generation of sheep who will bend over and accept any erosion of their rights because “if youre doing nothing wrong youve nothing to fear”.
And whats more, they parrot this mince and somehow think it makes them intelligent

That’s the approach the Stasi took :smiley: . I reckon we’re more surveilled now than those folk were. Difference is, it’s for “good reasons” (yeeeah right!) and it’s not one entity, it’s every man and his dog. Actually there are dog cameras.

If you want a scary workplace spying story, I worked for a firm that rather spectacularly fired 4 people after building a case file against them that they weren’t genuinely sick. It was actually a shot to the unions during tense negotiations. The eyebrow raising thing about it was these people lived in 4 different countries across Europe. The firm had them placed under surveillance. The files were released by court to the unions, There were photos from private security firms, social media traces. And the most alarming was photos from their company iPad cameras and highly detailed accounts from locations services given by their company iPads. Many folk after that taped up the camera and turned off the micro phone. Makes no difference they can still access it.

We all had a company iPad, I have one now. But as Michael said to Alan Partridge “there’s nee ■■■■ on it like” :smiley:

Freight Dog.My camera,like most others,records automatically an event involving sudden shock such as being rammed while parked or a collision while driving which requires no action from the driver.The sensitivity can be adjusted.

Freight Dog:

The-Snowman:

That’s the approach the Stasi took :smiley: . I reckon we’re more surveilled now than those folk were. Difference is, it’s for “good reasons” (yeeeah right!) and it’s not one entity, it’s every man and his dog. Actually there are dog cameras.

But as the Stasi found out, doesn’t matter how much you have control over your people, they can still rise up and overthrow you.

Hopefully one day we’ll rise up and give our knobs a bashing. :laughing: