Do you work out?

thats what i cannot understand, you would think that with all the climbing we do you would think you would have some level of fitness,lets face it most of us climb stairs to reception,climb into cabs that are about 6 ft up umpteen times a day,climb behind to hitch up the trailer,and i guarantee that if you ask to use the facilities they allways say course you can drive its through that door on the second floor,and its usually stairs and no lift,i reckon most hgv drivers spend their career climbing so you would expect some level of fitness,not so

A sports massage is worth every penny.They dig in to get rid of the toxins that build up after exercise and remove lactic acid.Most chiropracter clinics have a sports massager or at leisure centres.The muscles get knotted up and constrict.They release all that.

renaultman:

animal:

renaultman:
I’m not a member of a gym but am a fairly keen cyclist, clocking 2500 miles up last year, MTB and road, Started running in the new year too and am hoping to complete a half marathon this year.
I was 50 in November and seem to have to do more and more to maintain my level of fitness.

My best time for a half marathon is 1hr 43 min ok a while ago but can you beat a woman time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am desperately slow, and only up to 5 miles at the moment :cry: Using completely different muscles to cycling is killing me. Have done 100 Mile + rides, including Whitehaven to Wear last year, but it look me a week to recover from my first 5k run. I though my calves were going to explode :frowning:

. Me too I started 2 weeks ago couldn’t even do quarter mile ,just last night ran 2.12 in 20 mins around the footpaths near me , as I’m typing this my bloody legs are killing me :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

topmixer11:

renaultman:

animal:

renaultman:
I’m not a member of a gym but am a fairly keen cyclist, clocking 2500 miles up last year, MTB and road, Started running in the new year too and am hoping to complete a half marathon this year.
I was 50 in November and seem to have to do more and more to maintain my level of fitness.

My best time for a half marathon is 1hr 43 min ok a while ago but can you beat a woman time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am desperately slow, and only up to 5 miles at the moment :cry: Using completely different muscles to cycling is killing me. Have done 100 Mile + rides, including Whitehaven to Wear last year, but it look me a week to recover from my first 5k run. I though my calves were going to explode :frowning:

. Me too I started 2 weeks ago couldn’t even do quarter mile ,just last night ran 2.12 in 20 mins around the footpaths near me , as I’m typing this my bloody legs are killing me :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

It is getting easier. Just short of 5 miles now with bearable pain. Anyone using Strava for running/cycling? Fancy a Trucknet Strava group?

renaultman:

topmixer11:

renaultman:

animal:

renaultman:

It is getting easier. Just short of 5 miles now with bearable pain. Anyone using Strava for running/cycling? Fancy a Trucknet Strava group?

Nice one Renault man. It’s the pain that makes it awkward but they say no pain no gain. I haven’t done any tonight as IM ACHING FROM YESTERDAY :unamused: :laughing: but back out tomorrow night to try add another tenth of a mile

I had a heart attack in July 2012 , 4 stents , nearly croaked it. In order to get my licence back i joined a gym and lost over three stone in three months. I took the treadmill test , passed and got my licence back in Nov 2012. I still go to the gym . 4 - 5 times a week and normally just walk on a treadmill for an hour at 4mph with a gradient of 8 - 10 % . I put the head phones on, turn on the music and then just walk , in a hour it normally burns 600 - 700 calories which keeps my weight down and my heart healthy. Its great thinking time too , normally ponder through my issues whilst i am walking , then sometimes finish it of with a 10 min dip in the pool.

Thoroughly recomend walking , my doctor says its the best excercise that you can get.

I use the beach for walking can be harder but better as not so much pressure & is about 15 min driver from home I also get the sea air which is better than the streets

tamarman:
I had a heart attack in July 2012 , 4 stents , nearly croaked it. In order to get my licence back i joined a gym and lost over three stone in three months. I took the treadmill test , passed and got my licence back in Nov 2012. I still go to the gym . 4 - 5 times a week and normally just walk on a treadmill for an hour at 4mph with a gradient of 8 - 10 % . I put the head phones on, turn on the music and then just walk , in a hour it normally burns 600 - 700 calories which keeps my weight down and my heart healthy. Its great thinking time too , normally ponder through my issues whilst i am walking , then sometimes finish it of with a 10 min dip in the pool.

Thoroughly recomend walking , my doctor says its the best excercise that you can get.

EEXCELLENT WELL DONE 3 stone is fantastic

I recommend slimming world. My doc signed me up for free 12 weeks. This coming Monday will be my 12th week and I have lost 4st 1lbs. Happy days.

Felt a bit nervous going to the first meeting, so took a mate and he has lost 2st 7lbs in the same time. Were both doing the extra easy plan. And it really is extra easy, you should look it up online.

I bought myself a bike and now ride 30 miles a week and I’ve started back doing Krav Maga. Well until a couple of nights ago when we had a full contact session and I ended up with a broken rib, but hey ■■■■ happens won’t stop me training.

Want to be at target weight by the 5th of May so I have another 3st 5lbs to lose. Happy days

Ride both MTB and Road bikes, got a few Sportives to do this year,
Play 6 a side football once a week for an hour, used to plat twice but used to be hard work recovering days after.
Try and swim an hour a week at least, if I can do more dependant on commitments.
Got back in the gym from the start of the month after a year off, i got too bulky so took a year out, currently out of action from that with a chest injury due to losing an argument with a rock racing my MTB the other week :blush:
I go out for a ‘run’ twice a week, but it bores me so I dont get much distance in, 30-45 mins tops.

Also on the PUC2014 challenge, 24 Press ups today, dreading NYE and its 365 :open_mouth:

B1 GGK:
Ride both MTB and Road bikes, got a few Sportives to do this year,
Play 6 a side football once a week for an hour, used to plat twice but used to be hard work recovering days after.
Try and swim an hour a week at least, if I can do more dependant on commitments.
Got back in the gym from the start of the month after a year off, i got too bulky so took a year out, currently out of action from that with a chest injury due to losing an argument with a rock racing my MTB the other week :blush:
I go out for a ‘run’ twice a week, but it bores me so I dont get much distance in, 30-45 mins tops.

My plan is to do more Sportives this year and maybe an Audax or two.

daleyboy:
I recommend slimming world. My doc signed me up for free 12 weeks. This coming Monday will be my 12th week and I have lost 4st 1lbs. Happy days.

Felt a bit nervous going to the first meeting, so took a mate and he has lost 2st 7lbs in the same time. Were both doing the extra easy plan. And it really is extra easy, you should look it up online.

I bought myself a bike and now ride 30 miles a week and I’ve started back doing Krav Maga. Well until a couple of nights ago when we had a full contact session and I ended up with a broken rib, but hey [zb] happens won’t stop me training.

Want to be at target weight by the 5th of May so I have another 3st 5lbs to lose. Happy days

you got me seriously thinking about slimming world now,i need to lose weight but thought these slimming places were no good until i read your post,very good,

dont know if they still have it but saints transport in colnbrook had a fully fitted gym on their premises,i saw it one day and was quite impressed, although i never had the chance to use it as i was only agency and not full time,shame really

I do road cycling, taking part in sportives, and compete in Duathlons and Triathlons, finished 2nd in my age group (Old Gits) at the last one I did.

I’m signed up for a few sportives this year including the Action Medical Surrey 100, which I did last year, and I’m in for a ballot place for the Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100 which is a 100 mile closed road event starting at the Olympic Park and finishing on The Mall, really want to do that one.

I also attend fitness festivals a few times a year, went to Poland last weekend for 13 hours of Spinning® (indoor cycling) 250m underground in a salt mine near Krakow with 300 other people and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Going back next year to do it again.

I’m in there somewhere.

I’m a qualified Spinning® Instructor and teach 8-10 classes a week across 3 centres in the town, including the one that TV show Splash comes from, and also qualified in Kettlebells and circuit training as well as having Level 2 Gym Instructor and Level 3 Personal Trainer qualifications.

I go to the gym for my own workouts 5 times a week with my weight lifting and workout partner Debbie and then at other times to train other people. My gym membership used to be £36 a month, it’s much less now I get staff discount as an instructor, and that’s for unlimited gym, swimming and fitness classes at 3 different gyms all with pools. Less than £1.20 a day and you don’t get much for £1.20 anywhere these days so bloody good value.

You are never too old to start working out, you are already too old not to.

daleyboy:

Congratulations, amazing and inspirational achievement. Keep it up.

This could make a good documentary on truckers rather than all the crap they have now .

Coffeeholic:

daleyboy:

Congratulations, amazing and inspirational achievement. Keep it up.

Cheers fella. I’m well pleased with myself. After years of eating crap and weighing in at nearly 28 stone I had to do something or die, simple as that.

Where I’ve had problems is when I broke my back and was laid up for nearly 2 years, just piled the weight on.

@truckman. Do it get to your nearest group, fijd a mate to go with and have a bet. I bet my mate £100 on who will lose the most by 10th Feb. Looks like its going to be me. But seriously my mum has joined my dad has joined and my sister has joined also my friends sister has joined.

granted you may not lose as much as me, it all depends how much you need to lose in the first place, mine has slowed down a bit now and I’m only losing 2lbs a week but that is still 7 stone in a year!!

The diet is easy. Basically you have free food like all lean meat all potatoes and dry pasta, you can eat as much of these as you want, then you have super free foods I.e all fruit and veg. They say when you eat a 1/3rd of your plate should be super free but normally half my plate is super free. You then have healthy extras like milk and cheese for calcium and certain breads and wheetabix etc for fibre. Then you have your syns as they call it, you should try and stick to between 5-15 a day. A few examples an aero is 11 syns a bag of crisps is about 5.

you get all the values in the book you get and online. It sounds complicated but give it a couple of weeks and a bit of planning and it becomes very easy to stick too.

I’m not a salad lover and I don’t ever go hungry and with a few adjustments to the way I cook the weight is coming off and i’m still enjoying the foods I’m eating

Running at the moment, average 24 mile a week, usually fells.
I’ll be back cycling in feb, training in Majorca end of march, 11 day trip.
Clocked up 6700 mile on the bike last year…keeps those M@S spiced buns off my waistline!

3 miles last night I increased by one mile straight from 2 no stopping me now. Probably coulda done more felt good enuff but I got a touch of the Paula radcliffes so went home for that !!!

Coffeeholic:
You are never too old to start working out, you are already too old not to.

Hi Coffee
I’ve been reading your posts with interest for a number of years and your career change inspired me.
I started swimming about 6 years ago as a way to keep in shape. I had lessons at my local pool for a while and also attended weekend workshops to improve my strokes. I used to try and park up for the night wherever there was a pool close. I bought videos and books and tried to put into action everything I learned.

I went on a weekend course about a year ago and was asked to consider becoming an instructor. At the age of 52 I was quite taken aback by this and spent months deliberating what to do. One night I was looking at your posts and saw that you were going to give it a go and from then I’ve never looked back. I have taken my first ASA qualification and will be taking the next one in May.
I am also studying with Art of Swimming which is a more holistic style of swimming and promotes better body awareness.
Hopefully I will be qualified by the end of the year and maybe on the path to a new career.

Your post when you were going was a big factor in my decision and helped me to look in a different direction

Thanks for everything

Dave