Keeping fit while tramping

I don’t know if this has been done before or some of you may think its a daft question but is there any trampers out there that keep fit whilst you are down the road and what do you do to keep fit. The reason I ask is because I used to love going to the gym 3 times a week and doing weights. But since I’ve been doing regular tramping I haven’t been in 6 year and I feel it’s time to do something about it and trying to get fit again.
I was thinking of a routine where I could do sit ups and press ups on my bed then maybe tricep dips across both chairs and decline press ups off one chair and maybe even get some dumbells for bicep curls and triceps(there isn’t much room in the truck to use these though I guess)
Is there any lads that have some dumbells in the truck and what exercises do you do? I’m on about starting back up at a gym when I’m home on a weekends so I can do say maybe 2 full body workouts when I’m home and just work on my fitness when I’m down the road and haven’t got much space or equipment to utilise.

I used to go for runs so long as I could get a shower and go to the gym on a weekend. You could get quite inventive using body weight, but I never really bothered with it

I run between 7 n 10 miles every other nite and go swim miming if I can’t get near a swimming pool or shower its baby wipes n cold water n soap until the next day when I pop into svs for a shower

When i pull into the services i park as far from the enterance as possible, The take the longest route to the toilets or showers.
I go for long walks in italy and spain on the hunt for good wine. it probably defeats the object, but it’s the thought that counts. :laughing:
If i’m parked near the coast i’ll go for a swim.

If you join the right gym company, one that has hundereds in their group you can use any of them…thats what i did quite often and as they open at 6am shower and shave after a workout before starting work in the cab.
Luton was best when tipping there as he allowed me to park up in his carpark with the truck .

1 dumbbell is a really good idea, easy to store, and good for exercise.

Those exercise elastic (resistance band) things are handy too because they’re good but take no room to store.

A pushbike on the back of your cab is the most common 1 and what I used to do, but I was on containers so it got used through the day rather than at night.

Press ups and sit ups can be done anywhere, pull ups in the trailer too, also climbing the straps. I found a really good pull up was using the trailer chassis just behind the unit lights but in front of the legs, but because it’s low you have to hold your body too, 3 of those is REALLY (suprisingly) tiring and I think after a few months 5 is still a good push, and can be done whilst being loaded / unloaded etc.

All hard work is undone with truck stop / services food, meal out with missus at weekend and beer every night though, so rather than old Arnie, I look like new Arnie :blush:

All this talk of xboxes play stations and gym workouts whilst on a night out makes me think that I’m working too hard :laughing:
I can barely make it through a DVD on my lap top after I’ve had a shower and made something to eat before I can’t keep my eyes open anymore :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
All this talk of xboxes play stations and gym workouts whilst on a night out makes me think that I’m working too hard :laughing:
I can barely make it through a DVD on my lap top after I’ve had a shower and made something to eat before I can’t keep my eyes open anymore :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:

have to agree with this ^^^^

I like to go for a walk for an hour or so unless the weather is really bad. Only trouble is it often ends in a pub :wink:
A lot of my workmates past and present use a skipping rope whilst waiting to tip/load and after parking up.
Not me though as I couldn’t do it when I was a kid let alone as a 51yr old lol!

Skipping is the easiest way to stay fit. You get some funny looks skipping on Lymm tho:D I eat healthy and stay away from crisps and chocolate. Just stick to the cave man diet and you’ll look good in no time.

No Way.

saw a bloke in Stafford south today.
he had one of those elastic band things wrapped around a lamp post…and was doing his stuff.there were also a couple of dumbells on the ground.
I thought he looked a bit of a ■■■,but each to their own etc.

1 kettle bell and Have a browse on youtube for some circuits.

These can be done anywhere.

I’ve never met a lorry driver who looked like they could skip :laughing:
I always had my skipping rope in my side locker but never used it as I’d either look a nob or I’d be dead through lack of oxygen as the service areas would defo be unbreathable.
I did used to go running at a few customers who’d let me out when they were loading me and I’d tell them the shunter could move my vehicle if necessary(never was).

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=86811

Kettlebell and a skipping rope,
Or has a google of Pure Gym :wink: theres 2 near me on retail parks, both open 24hrs so happy days if your away for the week.