Do you work out?

Yes I go to a gym and cycle daily. However, it’s not “what” you do when you’re at the gym that counts. It’s what you’re doing when you’re NOT at the gym which really matters!

In other words, it’s pointless hitting the gym every Saturday morning, if the rest of the week you are going to be stuffing yourself with fatty fried foods, burgers, hot dogs, bacon sarnies, and all the other garbage aimed at drivers on the road. Personally, I’d only eat bacon once a week/fortnight. Why in the hell would anyone want to eat bacon daily is beyond me. It’s just pure ignorance! You are asking for a heart attack or nasty gall bladder problems in the future.

go to the gym everyday of the week bar weekends. do about 3 nights out a week but being in a van i can just pull up anywhere really.

Personally I never been to a gym but have always cycled both road and mountain biking to keep fit and 5 years ago as my fitness and weight wasn’t at its best I took up running as a bit of bet to beat a mates brother in law at a 10k and haven’t looked back since I now run with a club in both road and cross country and fell running :slight_smile: have done anything from 10ks , half marathons and my first marathon in the Lake District last June and Edale Skyline fell race last year and I’m currently training for London marathon this year doing on average on 15-30 miles a week at the moment working round my shifts .

when i went on a fitness and weight loss drive a few years ago, i did an intense 15/20 mins on the treadmill. 1 min fast walk, 2 mins running, 1 minute sprint, then swapped it round, 2 mins fast walk, 1 min sprint, 1 min fast walk. I just changed it round everyday, and doing that i lost a stone in a month, but it took me about 3/4 weeks to get to the level of that.

Every morning I do at least ten lifts on my left side…and then another ten on my right eyebrow! :slight_smile: I did go to the gym twice a week, as I am a carer I was on benefits so got it at half price. I also became a Walking for Health leader with the Council run scheme. However, after losing over three stone my Mother said that I looked ghastly, I caught every cold going and my ankles swelled up like balloons so I had to pack it in. Still have the swollen ankles and they make walking difficult, Doctor cannot cure them so these days I don’t do much exercise at all. A shame, I liked the gym especially the rowing machine and treadmill, hated the cross trainer though. :imp:

Pete.

animal:

renaultman:
I’m not a member of a gym but am a fairly keen cyclist, clocking 2500 miles up last year, MTB and road, Started running in the new year too and am hoping to complete a half marathon this year.
I was 50 in November and seem to have to do more and more to maintain my level of fitness.

My best time for a half marathon is 1hr 43 min ok a while ago but can you beat a woman time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am desperately slow, and only up to 5 miles at the moment :cry: Using completely different muscles to cycling is killing me. Have done 100 Mile + rides, including Whitehaven to Wear last year, but it look me a week to recover from my first 5k run. I though my calves were going to explode :frowning:

To all you trampers, google trx and get yourself a trx band. You can tie it off anything strong and you get a serious workout using your own body weight as resistance. They are the job

renaultman:

animal:

renaultman:
I’m not a member of a gym but am a fairly keen cyclist, clocking 2500 miles up last year, MTB and road, Started running in the new year too and am hoping to complete a half marathon this year.
I was 50 in November and seem to have to do more and more to maintain my level of fitness.

My best time for a half marathon is 1hr 43 min ok a while ago but can you beat a woman time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am desperately slow, and only up to 5 miles at the moment :cry: Using completely different muscles to cycling is killing me. Have done 100 Mile + rides, including Whitehaven to Wear last year, but it look me a week to recover from my first 5k run. I though my calves were going to explode :frowning:

Yep very different muscles indeed a few of my mates do both cycle & run ( 1 does the c2c in a day for fun cos he can )

Just take you your time building up though best way as said wish I could still go for a run but cant these days

There are a few other drivers who have lost weight & trained over the last few years

warren123:
Yes I go to a gym and cycle daily. However, it’s not “what” you do when you’re at the gym that counts. It’s what you’re doing when you’re NOT at the gym which really matters!

In other words, it’s pointless hitting the gym every Saturday morning, if the rest of the week you are going to be stuffing yourself with fatty fried foods, burgers, hot dogs, bacon sarnies, and all the other garbage aimed at drivers on the road. Personally, I’d only eat bacon once a week/fortnight. Why in the hell would anyone want to eat bacon daily is beyond me. It’s just pure ignorance! You are asking for a heart attack or nasty gall bladder problems in the future.

I absolutely adore both sausage and bacon. I only eat once a week or two, but it breaks my heart. When I ask for a tuna sarnie in a transport cafe you get some funny looks but 2 of the drivers at the company I’m currently working for are off with diabetes related ailments so try to keep myself right.

Remember a good massage is alway good & well recommended not alway cheap but well worth it if you find a good 1 it will help with recovery & the muscles

Always remember to do a warm up & cool down as these are very important it will help stop cramp etc

You could also eat Clean which is

No wheat
No sugar or sweetners
No dairy (except for goats cheese)
No caffeine,
No alcohol
No processed foods
No peanuts
No mushrooms
No corn
Starchy carbs should only be eaten up to one hour after a workout.

Drink loads of water or green tea just have to think a bit more of what you can eat not what you cant

animal:
Remember a good massage is alway good & well recommended not alway cheap but well worth it if you find a good 1 it will help with recovery & the muscles

Always remember to do a warm up & cool down as these are very important it will help stop cramp etc

buying a foam roller (around £15) is good for recovery also. stretches the muscle and breaks up adhesions and scar tissue. the more it hurts, the more you need it! :slight_smile:

Hello, I took up running November 2011 had a few injuries but did a half marathon 2013 and planning two half marathons this year im 57 in September and at 6 ft 6 in Ive gone from 18.5 stone down to 16 , my doctor says I need to get to 15 stone, feel good though , good luck one and all.

I joined in late September I was still tramping so I went to gym on a Friday evening satday morning and Sunday morning,now I’m home every day I try to go one evening a week and satday and Sunday morning, I’m going to try and go more but sometimes I’m that late home and that I can’t be bothered.
Breakfast through the week now is belvita breakfast biscuits then a piece of fruit mid morning,lunch usually a ham salad sandwich or wrap then another piece of fruit in the afternoon before I go home for tea.
Was 18.5 stone in September I’m now 16.2 stone so iv got a long way to go but after banging all the weight on in my 20s it’s time to get fit.
Seen so many driver over the years with health problems and most are preventable.
Iv spoke to some drivers who just can’t see what they are doing to them selfs bacon every day and kebabs on a night takes it’s toll on you,I have bacon once a week usually a Friday.

Just don’t overdo it at the gym lads. I used to go 2/3 times a week but have subsequently had to have operations on both shoulders and one elbow.

The physiotherapist who helped me recover from them told me she sees so many injuries caused by gym work that they ought to be banned!

All things in moderation is best I reckon.

keredwh:
Just don’t overdo it at the gym lads. I used to go 2/3 times a week but have subsequently had to have operations on both shoulders and one elbow.

The physiotherapist who helped me recover from them told me she sees so many injuries caused by gym work that they ought to be banned!

All things in moderation is best I reckon.

A lot of it is caused by people not warming up properly and just hitting the weights. You should always do at least 15-20mins cardio on a treadmill, rowing machine, stairstepper etc before you hit the weights and when you start doing your sets with the weights always do about 2 sets of about 20 reps with low weight on your first exercise then do your regular pattern.
Also the rest in between your sets is very important and as someone else has said in the thread, the things you do away from the gym i.e what you eat, drink and the amount of sleep you have is actually more important than what you do in the gym.
I used to see lads just go straight into the gym and hit the weights showing off trying to be the big un, lifting too much, with incorrect form, posture and breathing. They just thought lift the biggest weight and i’ll get big in no time :unamused: It don’t work like that.

Have a bike in the cab.Wheels off.Stow in passenger footwell.Put seat belt ovet it or stow in the trailer with a strong lock.In Europe i would see the atlas and have time off near a route touristique or river or forest.
Sat/sun 40 miles a day.Bar bell weights from Argos.
Some places cook meals with hidden fats,such as goose fat in a casserole or stew.
Tryglicerides are ones to keep on eye on.There is good and bad cholestrol.But the body needs fat so do not ban fats.

Gym! :laughing: who’s Jim? :sunglasses: the only working out I do is clicks to miles, :smiley: divided by 4.54 to get mpg! :wink: thank you! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: joking aside as an ex para I can still do the BIG FAT TEST IN 8 mins! :grimacing:

Avoid so called health drinks/sports and shakes.Full of sugar and gunk.

I’ve just joined a gym. Fed up of suffering back pain due to being over weight. So now it’s Gym twice a week, swimming once and running 3 times. Lost 11lbs in the last 2 weeks and dropped a size in jeans. Way to go yet but its a start