Did you miss me?

The spilled diesel is a result of vanity, I can’t get the gun in the tank on the passenger side easily thanks to the cab skirts, sloshing diesel over the tank is a regular occurrence thanks to my hamfistedness.

I dropped that combine in Baltimore unscathed, so my strap did the job didn’t it? Having no roundabouts to negotiate helped immensely though. As said, it was chained too, a pair of 1/2" over the front axle and two pairs on the back one, the strap was to keep the panel from catching the wind as the catch was mangled, the twist in the strap is a trick of the trade, they don’t flap if you put a twist in them, this avoided damaging the paint on the combine and it also stops it sounding like a playing card in the spokes of a bike wheel when you’re going down the road.

The new 579 has the Paccar lump, it’s a 510 in the current model, I had an APU installed and that automatically kicks in when the temperature drops below a certain point, it uses the same coolant as the engine and therefore keeps things toasty, the DEF tank is heated by coolant too, so technically it shouldn’t freeze. I’ll look into that though and get it all lagged before next winter, thanks for the reminder.

I didn’t put a moose bumper on because I think they look crap on a Pete pulling a van, but now I’m doing low loaders I may get one, I like the Herd ones (that’s what’s on the new one) the Big Tex or the Road Train without marker lights are my favourites. The duck is ready to go on, there’s a new mount for it so I can use it to pop the hood as well as it just being ornamental, as soon as I find one I’ll take the factory thing off and replace it with the duck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
I think we have a mutual friend. He drives a Volvo out of Washington State for Anker. (The jokes have already been done to death) :smiley:

Charlie?

newmercman:

Wheel Nut:
I think we have a mutual friend. He drives a Volvo out of Washington State for Anker. (The jokes have already been done to death) :smiley:

Charlie?

Vernon

newmercman:
The spilled diesel is a result of vanity, I can’t get the gun in the tank on the passenger side easily thanks to the cab skirts, sloshing diesel over the tank is a regular occurrence thanks to my hamfistedness.

I dropped that combine in Baltimore unscathed, so my strap did the job didn’t it? Having no roundabouts to negotiate helped immensely though. As said, it was chained too, a pair of 1/2" over the front axle and two pairs on the back one, the strap was to keep the panel from catching the wind as the catch was mangled, the twist in the strap is a trick of the trade, they don’t flap if you put a twist in them, this avoided damaging the paint on the combine and it also stops it sounding like a playing card in the spokes of a bike wheel when you’re going down the road.

The new 579 has the Paccar lump, it’s a 510 in the current model, I had an APU installed and that automatically kicks in when the temperature drops below a certain point, it uses the same coolant as the engine and therefore keeps things toasty, the DEF tank is heated by coolant too, so technically it shouldn’t freeze. I’ll look into that though and get it all lagged before next winter, thanks for the reminder.

I didn’t put a moose bumper on because I think they look crap on a Pete pulling a van, but now I’m doing low loaders I may get one, I like the Herd ones (that’s what’s on the new one) the Big Tex or the Road Train without marker lights are my favourites. The duck is ready to go on, there’s a new mount for it so I can use it to pop the hood as well as it just being ornamental, as soon as I find one I’ll take the factory thing off and replace it with the duck.

Well there you go…my bestest attempts to get a bite were detected and duly thwarted…I hold my head in shame, clearly im an amateur in forum ribbing…I just wish your advice regarding straps had been provided way back in my novice days, when the old hands gave me grief saying kinks lost tension/ torque in securing heavy loads…if I should ever see them again I will supply your contact details…come to think of it I now suspect their claims they just missed the Herald of free enterprise and once drove to doha in reverse due to losing all forward gears and uk police could not write tickets for you speeding on downhills due to the over run rule…etc etc.

I gather you have a cat in the big Pete…I known nothing about the 579 my advice may be worthless on that…I just know my ex company bosses son Evan was time served at cervus Regina and he lived and breathed peterbilt…his workshop had peterbilt everything, clocks, signs, even an official leather office chair which I never knew existed, I’m sure like blackpool rock he had peterbilt etched inside…I liked that though and was a further positive in accepting the job. Anyhow, whenever a brand new truck came in it spent a week with him adding the extras and reinforcing weak points…this included the Def stuff and also cladding other pipe work/ electrics that were exposed to rub points against the frame. They were fastidiously maintained aND i cared for it lIke wise in return…even down to polishing the leather seats at the end of my week away…they provided all the lotions aND potions so it was the least i could do…cervus said when ever they traded the trucks in, they never hit the sales lot, they were always pre sold…I actually saw my old tractor just the other day it looks an o/o bought it and was hitching to tanker near to the west can yard in moose jaw…could not see if it was a west can trailer though…I thought about stopping and to show pics of it from new…but then thought best as i didn’twant to be a knob head holding up his day…Im rambling now as it is…

Glad to hear the duck is back and will be properly fitted this time, and “Keep er lit”

A mate of mine had a proper drama over chafed wiring on his KW, apparently the harness is VIN specific and it was marooned in OK until a new one was made for it, three weeks from being towed in until he drove it away!

I’ve dealt with Cervus in Regina, good guys there. I had the fan clutch replaced on my one in there on its first trip, drove it on the shop and it was done in just over an hour.

Hi Mark, I will admit to wondering what you were up too! New Pete looks nice as does the red added to yours. Should get plenty of variety pulling low boys, especially if you are running south.
Good luck with everything, life’s a gamble mate, just keep the wheels rolling, not the dice!
Looking forward to some LDDs, especially as I’m running the same old road five days a week.

Paul

I was going to pop in to see you Paul, a mate was getting married in FL and I was meant to be going, but I had just started the new work and having had 3 weeks off during the move and spending a fortune on the colour change, headache rack and the stuff to fill it up, I couldn’t really afford to take the time off. A real shame as I quite fancied a week on the ■■■■ and some decent weather.

newmercman:
I was going to pop in to see you Paul, a mate was getting married in FL and I was meant to be going, but I had just started the new work and having had 3 weeks off during the move and spending a fortune on the colour change, headache rack and the stuff to fill it up, I couldn’t really afford to take the time off. A real shame as I quite fancied a week on the ■■■■ and some decent weather.

Hi Mark, shame you couldn’t get the time off. You are welcome down here anytime. Talking of time off, I will be off for 4/6 weeks soon as I am having my right hip replaced in three weeks.
We just picked up two extra Atlanta to Orlando runs six days a week, bringing the total to four now. I added one the first year I was full time, and two this year. Finding reliable drivers is a problem as days off are either Sunday & Monday or Monday &Tuesday, if you want two days together. No one wants to work weekends.
I had two guys I had worked with previously who were ideal and were ready to jump ship from another contractor until the owner of the company gave them both brand new tractors and the hours and runs they wanted! We have two Atlanta based guys here this week helping out until we find local guys or girls. I’ll be head hunting today!

Paul

Hope the hip replacement goes well. That’s something I never thought I’d be saying to a mate lol. Finding drivers is nigh on impossible nowadays and finding good drivers is a real needle in a haystack job. I could put ten trucks on the road tomorrow if I could find drivers, but they don’t exist.

newmercman:
Hope the hip replacement goes well. That’s something I never thought I’d be saying to a mate lol. Finding drivers is nigh on impossible nowadays and finding good drivers is a real needle in a haystack job. I could put ten trucks on the road tomorrow if I could find drivers, but they don’t exist.

There are few golden rules of trucking that will never ever be changed and that can never ever be compromised and one of them is: “Good companies don’t look for drivers, Good companies have waiting lists for drivers trying to get into them”

And there will not be a discussion about this fact - case closed.

kyk:

newmercman:

There are few golden rules of trucking that will never ever be changed and that can never ever be compromised and one of them is: “Good companies don’t look for drivers, Good companies have waiting lists for drivers trying to get into them”

And you’ve hired how many drivers recently?

newmercman:

kyk:

newmercman:

I guess not [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

newmercman:

kyk:

newmercman:

I guess not [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Kyk isn’t in a business of drivers hiring, NMM is.
Kyk has a very valid point that NMM dodged by coming with a lame reply.
If NMM wanted to hire more drivers, I would have a good advice for him, improve pay conditions, working conditions, copy what companies that have no problems with getting drivers do, and he won’t be be having problems finding 10 or 20 drivers, if he chooses to.

Simple really, isn’t it?

In my opinion, I don’t think it is as straight forward as just offering those things to attract “good drivers”. Sure it is important but the guys may not apply anyway

I have known drivers who don’t damage equipment, extremely skillful, didnt complain and regularly self sacrificed for the company interests with a fierce loyalty, irrespective that the company did not pay the best, offer the best equipment or return the same loyalty. To this day, I have driver names I hold in the highest regard and feel sad that they could do so much better.

Why ?, I think it is the complex human condition, either a fear/ dislike of change, a pride with the company name regardless, (bit like car brand loyalty perhaps) etc etc for example i think of killingbecks in blackburn, they were running difficult to,drive 20 year old borderers with planks or rabbit hutch sleepers, roping and sheeting, and not the best payers by a mile into the 90’s yet still had drivers who had worked for them for 20+ years. My intention here is not to slap them down as I never worked for them, but make an industry comparison. Likewise, although admittibly more complex, the same could be said for the past opportunities to emigrate to canada vs the uk, despite on balance and on paper it could be proved that the standard of living in canada/disposible wage for the average working man is way higher…

I think NMM has a lot to offer, he has a pride in his reputation, very well known in industry, extremely experienced in the job, has a geniune passion for trucking, offers first class equipment, and due to the aforementioned I suspect would reciprocate loyalty. He would not be the highest payer but would be fair given he is not a big player and only a sub contractor. I would have worked for him in a heartbeat but then again perhaps I’m may probably not be " a good driver" in his or your eyes, there is subjectivity in what that is too. Small companies can sometimes offer that certain “family” experience that big companies can only dream of and the pay is not the " be all and end all".

I wish him, and companies like him, every success in getting the drivers they need

rsg1234567:
In my opinion, I don’t think it is as straight forward as just offering those things to attract “good drivers”. Sure it is important but the guys may not apply anyway

I have known drivers who don’t damage equipment, extremely skillful, didnt complain and regularly self sacrificed for the company interests with a fierce loyalty, irrespective that the company did not pay the best, offer the best equipment or return the same loyalty. To this day, I have driver names I hold in the highest regard and feel sad that they could do so much better.

Why ?, I think it is the complex human condition, either a fear/ dislike of change, a pride with the company name regardless, (bit like car brand loyalty perhaps) etc etc for example i think of killingbecks in blackburn, they were running difficult to,drive 20 year old borderers with planks or rabbit hutch sleepers, roping and sheeting, and not the best payers by a mile into the 90’s yet still had drivers who had worked for them for 20+ years. My intention here is not to slap them down as I never worked for them, but make an industry comparison. Likewise, although admittibly more complex, the same could be said for the past opportunities to emigrate to canada vs the uk, despite on balance and on paper it could be proved that the standard of living in canada/disposible wage for the average working man is way higher…

I think NMM has a lot to offer, he has a pride in his reputation, very well known in industry, extremely experienced in the job, has a geniune passion for trucking, offers first class equipment, and due to the aforementioned I suspect would reciprocate loyalty. He would not be the highest payer but would be fair given he is not a big player and only a sub contractor. I would have worked for him in a heartbeat but then again perhaps I’m may probably not be " a good driver" in his or your eyes, there is subjectivity in what that is too. Small companies can sometimes offer that certain “family” experience that big companies can only dream of and the pay is not the " be all and end all".

I wish him, and companies like him, every success in getting the drivers they need

An excellent balanced post (in my humble opinion) rsg1234567.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

rsg1234567 has a pretty good grasp of things, but to further complicate matters in my area you have to consider Jesus, there are many drivers that wouldn’t work for me, no matter what the pay and conditions were, just because I don’t go to church, more specifically, their particular church.

On top of that there is the owner driver situation in my area, Penner International who I have my other truck on with are 99% owner operator, they’re a 400 truck fleet, so that alone takes a significant amount of drivers out of the job market, plus there are all the other companies with a reasonable distance that have a large percentage of lease operators.

To add to this, I’m not going to hire somebody just because they have a license, I’ve been in this game a few years now and 90% of drivers I’ve met have left me unimpressed, to put it politely.

Something else to consider is the fact that I’m not actively seeking drivers, If I were younger, then I would be, I just can’t be bothered with the hassle now and trust me, employing people and running trucks is hassle, a lot of hassle, no matter how good the driver and how reliable the truck.

For the record, my driver earned over $80k gross last year, he had less than 200 nights out and very few of those were at the weekend. I provide all the required PPE etc, a nicely specced and well maintained truck complete with a few luxuries, an unlimited contract mobile phone and he got $1000 Christmas box. I know for a fact that he is very well paid, definitely in the top 10% of truck driver pay in Canada.

newmercman:
For the record, my driver earned over $80k gross last year, he had less than 200 nights out and very few of those were at the weekend. I provide all the required PPE etc, a nicely specced and well maintained truck complete with a few luxuries, an unlimited contract mobile phone and he got $1000 Christmas box. I know for a fact that he is very well paid, definitely in the top 10% of truck driver pay in Canada.

Yet another BS from NMW (Let’s nickname you now National Minimum Wage, for being too arrogant - consider that a promotion…)

80k CAD GROSS is not good rate in Canada, definitely not at the top 10%… reefer shaithole that imported me paid about the same for max hours and the golden rule is fresh imports get approx 0,20CAD less per mile than permanent residents… if that would be NET - after tax it would be considered at the top side of payscale…

rsg1234567:
My intention here is not to slap them down as I never worked for them, but make an industry comparison. Likewise, although admittibly more complex, the same could be said for the past opportunities to emigrate to canada vs the uk, despite on balance and on paper it could be proved that the standard of living in canada/disposible wage for the average working man is way higher…

Yet another Johnny… NO, disposable wage for average working man in Canada is not way higher than in UK.
The difference is that in Canada you can buy dirt cheap shack in the middle of nowhere 200miles from supermarket in small village dominated by sectants Masons, Mormons, Jesus - pick and choose your favorite and on the top of that while living in cab doing longer hours than in UK you can keep parked very nice shiny brand new pickup truck in front of that shack…
You can even finance second car, probably one of the Mustang/Corvette muscle car types if you choose to eat shait food and accumulate toxins for cancer at 40ish…

Why I did not comment on NMW post earlier - because he proved how limited his brainpower is to everyone with that post in the same was as albino did the same when announced that is smarted admin on here because online IQ test provided superhigh IQ score so she/he/it is the smarted person on planet…

There is no point of commenting anything after something like that is written by the said persons - they simply show their true nature and capabilities to everyone by their own words…

So kyk, here’s the thing, even with my limited IQ, I am aware of the rules of engagement on this forum. The most important one being that you attack the post, not the poster. You have failed to grasp this concept, I could delete your post for this reason, but I won’t, one of the other moderators may choose to though.

In reply to your post, well, I think giving you the contempt you deserve is my only option.

delete, ban, curse… do what you want I really don’t care I’m just sick of the BS in this industry mainly carved by the propaganda engines of groups of old frats who can’t grasp their heads around the fact that not all young drivers are considering old fashioned slavery being a cool profession…

It’s mainly fake it till you make it in CanAmerican Trucker stories…

Maybe you want to tell some stories about recent photos of some reefers rammed up - tipping potatoes over on your continent… ?

P. S. IQ incident is albinos problem not yours… my issue with you is that you represent old trucker group who thinks running dreaded hours are cool but me representing younger individual camp who simply ain’t gonna put up with ■■■■ conditions and are not afraid of talking about this to force some changes…

I’m probably the only one here who has enough courage to post that for example Heverin - which have somehow managed to get few good reviews on this forum by old frats pay their drivers for the first training week less than KREISS for their Ukrainian trainees… or that their top fleet flagships brand new 730 are driven by Polish… show me many UK companies that give 750/730 to immigrants?
Says a lot about the firm, but somehow trucknet claims them to be decent… ha…

I’m also probably the only one on here who will post about situation which made me almost throw up while picking up my paperwork when I had to listen how one completely retardered fat baich tries to convince another one like that in the office that McDonalds food is healthy…

There are so many things wrong in this industry that beating the hell out of anyone who is against cleaning it up is the only way to improve it…

You will notice I didn’t mention young drivers in my comments, for good reason and on this I agree with you, unless lorry driving is your lifetime ambition, why on earth would you even consider it? Especially in Canada with the distances and the weather, even if the pay did reflect the work involved.

I’m in this game because I enjoy it, that may make me dumb in the eyes of some, but I don’t care, I’m happy doing what I do. Had I taken a different path after school I could be wealthy and retired by now, but if I had the chance to do it all again, I wouldn’t change a thing.

That’s the difference between you and I, you do it to make a living, I do it because I want to and I bet you, I and others like me, have and will continue to make a better living out of it than you and others of your mentality.