Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer:

5thwheel:
Buzzer,

Come April next year,will you be removing the “eu” stars from your trailers? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

David

David i was in Tracy Island today and i counted those stars on one of the new trailers and there were twelve so not really significant to the number of EU member states having said that we have ten drivers and my two lads running the outfit so i reckon we can alot each one a star, some of the drivers think they are already anyway, Buzzer

PS Oily I watched that farm program, definitely not an easy life in the winter bat they were all hands on and she was a good looking sort as well.

Thanks for your reply Buzzer,and a good “cop out”. :slight_smile: :angry: :slight_smile:

David

When I went to Spain on honeymoon in 1974, it still appeared to me to be a third world country.

20 years later, when I think there were still only 12 stars on the flag, we had, through our taxes, dragged Spain and Portugal into the first world, giving them our banks and car industries among other things like motorways and railways, meanwhile, massively underinvesting in our own infrastructure.

Still, if we’d kept it there, we could probably have Greece up to speed by now and be back on an even keel.

Add another 15 third world countries, which had already been drained by the Soviet Union, to the mix, plus a massive influx of economic migrants…

So, 12 stars was probably a good point to pause for a while - about 100 years!

John.

John West:
When I went to Spain on honeymoon in 1974, it still appeared to me to be a third world country.

20 years later, when I think there were still only 12 stars on the flag, we had, through our taxes, dragged Spain and Portugal into the first world, giving them our banks and car industries among other things like motorways and railways, meanwhile, massively underinvesting in our own infrastructure.

Still, if we’d kept it there, we could probably have Greece up to speed by now and be back on an even keel.

Add another 15 third world countries, which had already been drained by the Soviet Union, to the mix, plus a massive influx of economic migrants…

So, 12 stars was probably a good point to pause for a while - about 100 years!

John.

John come to think about it that design on the side of our trailers was first installed in the very early 90’s so would concur your 12 star point, we used to only have the back doors sign written at first and we wanted summit different to the large lettering straight along the sides, at the time someone said we would stand on our heads for a good job and with the input from the sign writers this is what we still have today, albeit the stars did not exist at first just the wording but it did not look quite right so they were added PDQ. The super calibre line on the rear was concoction in the office one day on the lines of ABBA super trouper song and I have to put my hand up for that one and over the years has caused some laughter and phone calls from people following us, one woman rang to say her kids saw it and all day they were sing supercalifragilistic ( Mary Poppins)for the rest of the day, cheers Buzzer

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer, no wimps on this farm, Channel 5 last night, catch up here if you missed it channel5.com/show/our-yorkshire-farm/
wrighty might know the family.
Oily

Yes a well known family in the area, her husband Clive is a quiet sort of bloke, it’s the wife that meks alt noise.

Back home tonight and it’s a bit wild outside blowin a gale and raining hard, struggling to get the dogs out oft house tonight.

Cheers Wrighty.

Thanks for your reply. I hesitated to post for a while, bearing in mind the other thread.

I’ve seen a few of your trucks on our journeys back and forth to the daughter’s at Bicester. Always a joy!

My memories of the South coast are from subbing for Pritchett Bros (The On Time Freightline) in the early seventies. If I delivered in Glasgow I would try and find a phone that worked, then stand with the door open so that the smell of p*** didn’t choke me and call Silver Roadways - or as they said it ‘Sulver Roodweeees’. They would inevitably load me with sleeping bags for 15 drops along the South coast. Somehow it was always Summer! Then Ryvita from Poole or Sweetheart Plastics from Gosport back North. Happy Days!

Barrow isn’t too far from Sedbergh and the Yorkshire Dales. I keep my wife up to date with ‘The Archers’ from you and Wrighty, so she knows who I’m talking about when I say ‘Hey, there’s one of Buzzer’s.’

Not to take anything away from your offspring. How they cope I can’t imagine. Like Mr. Blamire from Preston, who sold me a Triumph Spitfire in about 1972 from his used car lot, his family had run transport for many years, but hadn’t caught up with the new regulations and floundered - I suspect that many of our generation would struggle to put up with today’s ■■■■■■■■!

Anyway, pass on my best regards to the current generation from an old trucker!

John.

All the best,

John.

wrighty:

oiltreader:
Hi Buzzer, no wimps on this farm, Channel 5 last night, catch up here if you missed it channel5.com/show/our-yorkshire-farm/
Oily

Yes a well known family in the area, her husband Clive is a quiet sort of bloke, it’s the wife that meks alt noise.

Back home tonight and it’s a bit wild outside blowin a gale and raining hard, struggling to get the dogs out oft house tonight.

Cheers Wrighty.

No guesses how they while away the long winter nights with 9 kids .

Interesting point about what to have on your vans.

My two favourites from when we were young were as follows.

London Carriers.

Green 40’ vans, usually Guy Invincible tractor units, later Big J’s and later still, an unfortunate ‘philips’ colour change to grey.

London Carriers in small letters in the middle of the trailer- brilliant understatement.

The other was an Irish carrier.

SHENANDOAH in massive letters front to back of the trailer - again vans.

Who could resist singing ‘Oh Shenandoah…’ that was the joy of lorry driving, you could sing, shout ■■■■…’

John.

Evening all,last time I see this many fine rear ends was one of JD’s posts of his cows lol and yes they are all new just waiting to be kitted out the Davies way
FA6B4FE0-A781-473D-ADE5-4487F994CDA6.jpeg

Myself & Ian just picked up the last 2 from Pompey docks & on way back to Tracy Island with em for a photo shoot for carrier.
2B23BAC3-FD9B-459C-BFE4-81531797A331.jpeg

All in numbered sequence from 2-8 dropped 9&10 behind myself & Ian with number 1 up road somewhere will never seem in order again lol
DA49B06F-332B-454B-88B9-08101C7D283B.jpeg

Some from the photo shoot
CA1A5355-A78C-43D3-B651-92954D5BDB02.jpeg
D853F7CD-6CB0-4AB1-82F9-E3CC03CC5B1C.jpeg
67DC6C43-A6E3-4D33-90F2-D5D115151B6F.jpeg
F7E635E5-7F1C-4F3A-B325-9D75451E1D0C.jpeg
363C36BF-1C4A-45DD-8886-E699196D8441.jpeg

The 3 that must be obeyed especially the middle one lol
09E414E6-EAB0-462F-A1D2-D8056A3ED2DD.jpeg

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

Another busy week up ere and now home for a weekend of rest and farming, well more farming but we will see how it goes. The new trailers look well especially with the alloys , a very tidy fleet and a credit to your lads. Keep up the photo’s Andrew enjoy your pics from throughout Euroland and we will catch up for that brew sometime…

Cheers wrighty.

Cheers Wrighty keep your pics coming too With the variety of work you do must keep you on your toes & pretty fit what with your farming as well I don’t know how you do it!!!You do a fair amount of Scotland as well a place I’ve always liked going to,spent 3 years doing multi drop (upto 30) in an artic a few years ago now? Did a lot of tractor dealers big & small load seed tatties back down or timber if they were quiet!!
Pic of myself & my brother parked in Huntly one Saturday!!!

Cheers Andrew

rigsby:

wrighty:

oiltreader:
Oily

Cheers Wrighty.

No guesses how they while away the long winter nights with 9 kids .

Yeh when they were all indoors I never saw a telly, Buzzer

Morning Buzzer

Well the end of another busy week and the start of a wet weekend, sat here having another brew waiting for a dry spell to go and feed the yows.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20181129_004.jpg

WP_20181128_004.jpg

WP_20181127_008.jpg

Plenty of rain down this end too Wrighty, got a fella to get up ont roof of barn and blow all the leaves off and clean the valley gutter on Monday and glad I did, I am too old to climb about on fibre cement roofing and when its wet its lethal slippery. Bought a new second hand pickup last week Isuzu again but the wide cab model so the old one is up for sale, had it 3 years and just put it on the net and see what happens. My isolated steer went clear on second test but still has to go for slaughter just don’t understand there rules at all, got to get a licence now for movement and that’s not easy as no one answers the phone so email is the way forward, cheers Buzzer

Buzzer:
Plenty of rain down this end too Wrighty, got a fella to get up ont roof of barn and blow all the leaves off and clean the valley gutter on Monday and glad I did, I am too old to climb about on fibre cement roofing and when its wet its lethal slippery. Bought a new second hand pickup last week Isuzu again but the wide cab model so the old one is up for sale, had it 3 years and just put it on the net and see what happens. My isolated steer went clear on second test but still has to go for slaughter just don’t understand there rules at all, got to get a licence now for movement and that’s not easy as no one answers the phone so email is the way forward, cheers Buzzer

A bloody joke Buzzer, second test clear and it still has to be culled, more money in chasing TB than eradicating it…

Well the pig is back lol

Andrew Morrison:
Well the pig is back lol 0

Watch Buzzer ain’t got his beady eye on em for sausage sizzlers, and no aiding and abetting from you Andrew, we all know you like Buzzers bangers. Bobs

Andrew Morrison:
Well the pig is back lol 0

I know what the “JD” stands for but just remind me , and everyone else, what the other initials stand for Thanks, Dennis.