Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

Nee gud till me Hodge ! It’s nut lang enough and it’s only gitten ya axle eh! :wink: Hope you are well and keeping clear of the virus Marra ! Cheers Dennis.

ec11:

hodgeturbo:

this is the first artic i drove at HODGSONS . took it to LONDON COLNEY new years eve 1966. the regular driver had got drunk at dinner time so couldnt go

IIRC Hogsons parked behind Moynihans with J & W Watt at London Colney as well as Blue Band and Lockerbie Transport also. But it was along while ago but I defo have seen all of them there so I reckon J & W could have loaded them all back North. Harold Dunkley was the J & W Manager in the little office at the side of the main building. I believe he joined Southern Transport a Scots firm maybe when J & W were running down ! I “crossed swords” with Harold when he tried to force me to load a Terrapin building for ■■■■■■■ Campbell Town down the Mull of Kintyre !! " You will load it" “No I ■■■■■■■ won’t” so that was it for me as a subby for J & W. But two or three years later I did sell J & W a near new C/F 40ft dry freight van and also a tidy 33ft YORK EP 30 flat. Happy days Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

ec11:

hodgeturbo:

this is the first artic i drove at HODGSONS . took it to LONDON COLNEY new years eve 1966. the regular driver had got drunk at dinner time so couldnt go

IIRC Hogsons parked behind Moynihans with J & W Watt at London Colney as well as Blue Band and Lockerbie Transport also. But it was along while ago but I defo have seen all of them there so I reckon J & W could have loaded them all back North. Harold Dunkley was the J & W Manager in the little office at the side of the main building. I believe he joined Southern Transport a Scots firm maybe when J & W were running down ! I “crossed swords” with Harold when he tried to force me to load a Terrapin building for [zb] Campbell Town down the Mull of Kintyre !! " You will loa sewickd it" “No I [zb] won’t” so that was it for me as a subby for J & W. But two or three years later I did sell J & W a near new C/F 40ft dry freight van and also a tidy 33ft YORK EP 30 flat. Happy days Cheers Bewick.

ee up bewick but you dont seem to believe me but i can asure you that HODGSONS never loaded of WATTS as they had their own yard further down the road from WATTS in T.J.ROBINS yard with their own depot manager MR TOMMY PUGH. EC11

ec11:

Bewick:

ec11:

hodgeturbo:

IIRC Hogsons parked behind Moynihans with J & W Watt at London Colney as well as Blue Band and Lockerbie Transport also. But it was along while ago but I defo have seen all of them there so I reckon J & W could have loaded them all back North. Harold Dunkley was the J & W Manager in the little office at the side of the main building. I believe he joined Southern Transport a Scots firm maybe when J & W were running down ! I “crossed swords” with Harold when he tried to force me to load a Terrapin building for [zb] Campbell Town down the Mull of Kintyre !! " You will loa sewickd it" “No I [zb] won’t” so that was it for me as a subby for J & W. But two or three years later I did sell J & W a near new C/F 40ft dry freight van and also a tidy 33ft YORK EP 30 flat. Happy days Cheers Bewick.

ee up bewick but you dont seem to believe me but i can asure you that HODGSONS never loaded of WATTS as they had their own yard further down the road from WATTS in T.J.ROBINS yard with their own depot manager MR TOMMY PUGH. EC11

I believe you EC11 but I do recall seeing a Hodgson motor or two on Moynihans yard honest I’m not imagine it !! :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Now Hodgson’s of Carlisle have been mentioned what happened to the firm eventually ? did they just close down or maybe they were bought out. I can recall that they used to load a London trunk out of Albright & Wilson ( Marchon) at Whitehaven each day?? and they had a Shunter based in London Colney but that is about all ! Maybe EC11 has more info ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Now Hodgson’s of Carlisle have been mentioned what happened to the firm eventually ? did they just close down or maybe they were bought out. I can recall that they used to load a London trunk out of Albright & Wilson ( Marchon) at Whitehaven each day?? and they had a Shunter based in London Colney but that is about all ! Maybe EC11 has more info ? Cheers Bewick.

ee up BEWICK
I can enlighten you abit – a few weeks before this poxy lockdown i paid a visit to an old friend of mine. MR IAN WRIGHT @ EAGLESFIELD.
Now Ian used to be a driver at HODGSONS at the same time as me before starting on his own, in fact his father was yard foreman after coming
of driving for health reasons. anyway we sat down talking over the good old days!!! and ended up writing a list of all the old drivers and which
motor they drove and which job they did. the count ended at 53 motors - a mixture of milk tankers - churn flats - oil contract motors - van
deliveries - trunkers - trampers etc. I left in 1971 - but IAN reckon they kept going until about 1978 by which time the business had been run down
a bit. in the end what was left was sold to ROBSONS who took over all the oil contracts. at the time when the company was in full swing there
was 3 trunks per night to the COLNEY where there were indeed 5 drivers employed -2 motor were based there to do pick up/deliveries for the
trunks. EC11
ps. just a little point of interest- if you notice all the early pictures of ROBSONS motors dont display T/A badges- they only became members
after taking over HODGSONS

Hi Ec11 I looked at buying the Ec11 that Ian had new and then had made in to an EC14 back at the factory it’s still around but requires some work doing cheers Dan .

Punchy Dan:
Hi Ec11 I looked at buying the Ec11 that Ian had new and then had made in to an EC14 back at the factory it’s still around but requires some work doing cheers Dan .

HI DAN
if youve got the reg no ill ask IAN about it. theres one thing for sure it would be in good nick when it left him because he really looked after them EC11

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK
I can enlighten you abit – a few weeks before this poxy lockdown i paid a visit to an old friend of mine. MR IAN WRIGHT @ EAGLESFIELD.
Now Ian used to be a driver at HODGSONS at the same time as me before starting on his own, in fact his father was yard foreman after coming
of driving for health reasons. anyway we sat down talking over the good old days!!! and ended up writing a list of all the old drivers and which
motor they drove and which job they did. the count ended at 53 motors - a mixture of milk tankers - churn flats - oil contract motors - van
deliveries - trunkers - trampers etc. I left in 1971 - but IAN reckon they kept going until about 1978 by which time the business had been run down
a bit. in the end what was left was sold to ROBSONS who took over all the oil contracts. at the time when the company was in full swing there
was 3 trunks per night to the COLNEY where there were indeed 5 drivers employed -2 motor were based there to do pick up/deliveries for the
trunks. EC11
ps. just a little point of interest- if you notice all the early pictures of ROBSONS motors dont display T/A badges- they only became members

Many thanks for the info on Hodgsons EC11 they were a much larger firm than I imagined but going by the date you are saying that Robsons bought what was left it was around the time Stan Robson would have been negotiating to sell out to UG. I can recall sitting in Robsons Board room with Stan and George during the Drivers strike and Stan insisted on me meeting his Grandson Gary Hutchinson who worked in the Traffic office. Now that was a busy Traffic office as I had on a previous visit to see George Flenley he gave me a tour of the T/Office and that was in the days before mobiles ! Interesting Days Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK
trunks. EC11

Many thanks for the info on Hodgsons EC11 they were a much larger firm than I imagined but going by the date you are saying that Robsons bought what was left it was around the time Stan Robson would have been negotiating to sell out to UG. I can recall sitting in Robsons Board room with Stan and George during the Drivers strike and Stan insisted on me meeting his Grandson Gary Hutchinson who worked in the Traffic office. Now that was a busy Traffic office as I had on a previous visit to see George Flenley he gave me a tour of the T/Office and that was in the days before mobiles ! Interesting Days Cheers Bewick.

ee up BEWICK
when all this lockdown finishes ill see if i can get my granddaughter to scan my photographs and put them on here for you EC11

ec11:

Punchy Dan:

HI DAN
if youve got the reg no ill ask IAN about it. theres one thing for sure it would be in good nick when it left him because he really looked after them EC11

I wouldn’t know the reg number as it’s owner got it on a private one but Ian will know which one it is as I think it was an 11 litre / twin splitter and after one yr ERF changed it to a 14 litre / 13 speed cheers Dan

ec11:

Bewick:

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK
trunks. EC11

ee up BEWICK
when all this lockdown finishes ill see if i can get my granddaughter to scan my photographs and put them on here for you EC11

ps. just remembered i think after ROBSONS sold out i think Gary Hutchinson had a go on his own with about 6 motors running out of J.W.WATTS
yard on london road .- i think he had 6 daf 3300s

Hiya EC11, a bit more info about Hodgsons ----- What was the main southbound traffic for the three trunks ? and what was Hodgsons main traffic ex London area ? was it back to north ■■■■■■■ only or did they run up into Scotland like Watts did ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Hiya EC11, a bit more info about Hodgsons ----- What was the main southbound traffic for the three trunks ? and what was Hodgsons main traffic ex London area ? was it back to north ■■■■■■■ only or did they run up into Scotland like Watts did ? Cheers Bewick.

ee up BEWICK
most of the colney trunk loads consisted of womens hats from KANGOL at CLEATOR MOOR @ FRIZINGTON
shoes from BATA at MARYPORT- PAINT from WALTONS at HALTWHISTLE( later to become CROWN)- peat from FISONS at KIRKBRIDE-
sheep skins from ■■?(cant remember their name) at WORKINGTON- timber pulp logs from SCOTTISH FORESTRY to BOWATERS at SITTINGBORNE-
loads from MARCHON at WHITEHAVEN- cotton wool from COWANS at DALSTON- boilers from COCHRANS at ANNAN plus a few other bits and bobs.
what didnt go on the trunks went on the trampers.
the main customers north were biscuits from HUNTLEY @ PALMERS- electric goods from PHILIPS/ MORPHY RICHARDS- NABISCO- CLARNICO=
SHREDDED WHEAT-MARY BAKER cake mixes- SUCHARDS- DCA mixes-paper from KINGS LANGLEY plus allsort off other stuff. most of the loads north
were for redistribution in ■■■■■■■■ south scotland but if anything came up for further it went on tramper (could be anywhere)

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK
most of the colney trunk loads consisted of womens hats from KANGOL at CLEATOR MOOR @ FRIZINGTON
shoes from BATA at MARYPORT- PAINT from WALTONS at HALTWHISTLE( later to become CROWN)- peat from FISONS at KIRKBRIDE-
sheep skins from ■■?(cant remember their name) at WORKINGTON- timber pulp logs from SCOTTISH FORESTRY to BOWATERS at SITTINGBORNE-
loads from MARCHON at WHITEHAVEN- cotton wool from COWANS at DALSTON- boilers from COCHRANS at ANNAN plus a few other bits and bobs.
the main customers north were biscuits from HUNTLEY @ PALMERS- electric goods from PHILIPS/ MORPHY RICHARDS- NABISCO- CLARNICO=
SHREDDED WHEAT-MARY BAKER cake mixes- SUCHARDS- DCA mixes-paper from KINGS LANGLEY plus allsort off other stuff. most of the loads north
were for redistribution in ■■■■■■■■ south scotland but if anything came up for further it went on tramper (could be anywhere)

Many thanks for that list EC11 you have got some memory there Gadgy ! :sunglasses: :wink: Now that is my kind of a customer list ! all the eggs are not in one or two baskets but sounds like they had very good seams of traffic going both ways ! It makes you wonder if there was owt’ much left for Robsons and Watts in the day ! :open_mouth: It’s a pity things started to fall off but I believe that is what gradually happened in the late 70’s and the whole job changed particularly towards Tautliners and many of these “old school” firms just didn’t want to move with the times plus their owners were ready to retire and had lost interest ! Sad times but it’s supposed to be progress :frowning: I wonder how many Customer names you listed are still in business or have been swallowed up and disappeared ? Thanks Bewick.

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK

The sheepskin firm Was called Sultra, at Clay Flats Workington, I used to deliver bagged sawdust imported from Denmark in the 50/60s Era, They used it to clean the skins, I was given a reject skin which I used as a bonnet cover on my Atki 4 wheeler, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK

The sheepskin firm Was called Sultra, at Clay Flats Workington, I used to deliver bagged sawdust imported from Denmark in the 50/60s Era, They used it to clean the skins, I was given a reject skin which I used as a bonnet cover on my Atki 4 wheeler, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

You must have been some smooth Dude in the day Mr.D nice sheepskin on the bonnet :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: and I bet you had a bit frill around the inside of the cab as well :open_mouth:
Hope you and yours are all keeping well Larry and steering clear of the “lurgy” Regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis, :laughing: , No frill just thrill on the sheepskin on the bonnet, If you get my drift, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Stay safe with your family my friend Regards Larry.

But of useless tripe really , but sultry was originally on the ( now at helens?) 31st opposite the Asda on a596 .

Lawrence Dunbar:

ec11:

Bewick:

ee up BEWICK

thanks for that LD your right it was SULTRA . if i remember rightly their van was the only one that ever had a padlock on. they locked it when
it was loaded and they had a key at london to open it again. ps. funny how things jog your memory but LD mentioned sawdust and one of our regular
loads north was hard wood sawdust from a sawmill at ROYSTON-HERTS to a ball bearing factory at IRVINE. they used this sawdust to polish up the
balls in big cement mixer type drums. EC11