West Cumberland Tanker Operators

W.Pattinson,James O’Neill,WCBP,H.&M.E.Fearon,Grearson’s and John Irving.These long gone Bulk Liquid hauliers surely deserve their own thread as there will be many tales to tell ( I hope ) and photos to post.I realise that there were local “takeovers” involved within the list and,of course, the prime source of traffic was Marchon Products of Whitehaven ( later Albright & Wilson) but over the years these local operators ran out of Marchon must surely have produced some interesting history !! We shall see,hopefully ! Cheers Bewick.

Shaws Fuels had a depot in Workington and 2 drivers from Huddersfield moved up there I am sure they lived in Cockermouth I think there were around 5 wagons up there.
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Bewick:
W.Pattinson,James O’Neill,WCBP,H.&M.E.Fearon,Grearson’s and John Irving.These long gone Bulk Liquid hauliers surely deserve their own thread as there will be many tales to tell ( I hope ) and photos to post.I realise that there were local “takeovers” involved within the list and,of course, the prime source of traffic was Marchon Products of Whitehaven ( later Albright & Wilson) but over the years these local operators ran out of Marchon must surely have produced some interesting history !! We shall see,hopefully ! Cheers Bewick.

Hello Bewick
Excelent Idea Marra. All these Companies are now long gone and deserve a thread of there own.
Heres some photos
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

019.jpg

5220_113166034083_100917969083_2170411_1947938_n.jpg

46526_146500245372847_100000386170950_290359_2784179_n.jpg

Nice shots CG even if that one of H & M E’s has appeared many times before Doh!! But you are the Marra “on the spot” so get some photos and info dug out on these great old operators,instead of annoying some people on here with un-authorised posting of certain photos !! I don’t mind you re-posting Bewick photos as long as you don’t pass any negative comments !! otherwise me and few of my “marras” from round you will pay you a visit and give you a good “braying” eh! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I don’t mind you re-posting Bewick photos as long as you don’t pass any negative comments !! otherwise me and few of my “marras” from round you will pay you a visit and give you a good “braying” eh! Cheers Bewick.

Well,thas nowt but a thug Dennis,leave t’■■■■■■■■■ alone,tha dunt even live theer anymore,thas a Lancs man now. :laughing:
I remember nearly all those firms running in and out of Marchon,it was second home to me for quite a while.That O’Niel 111 always looked well,I just don’t remember WCBP running an ERF 6-legger,only MK2 Borderers,same as A and W’s own fleet,and Grearson would be after my time up there I reckon as I don’t recall the name.

“If tha can see t’Isle of Man from Marchon it’s going to rain lad,and if tha can’t see it,well it is doing”. And it were nearly always ■■■■■■■ down,I reckon Workington, Distington and Lowca had a better climate.

AnonIOMretired

One here belonging to W Pattinson from Aspatria
PATTINSON ASPATRIA.jpg

Hi Chris, Yes you could see the IOM from Marchon especially when loading drums at S ■■, when your isle was covered in snow the dykes stood out like a crossword puzzle on a clear frosty morning, however despite all the tourist blurb about being a sunshine isle I have never been convinced that the weather was any better than Whitehaven being so near. You have now convinced me that I was probably right unfortunately I have never been but would have liked to visit a good few years ago when IOM Road Services ran a great fleet of Leyland bodied PD2s, Royal Tigers and Olympics. Did you know the Mageen family from Whitehaven who started ■■■■■■■■■■ Motor Services had a strong financial interest in IOMRS this is probably where the Leyland connection came in. A coach operator friend near Carlisle has an ex Douglas Corporation AEC Regent in his yard one of the last Regents built.
Cheers Leyland 600

Stanfield:
One here belonging to W Pattinson from Aspatria0

Nice shot of one of Bill Pattinsons tankers John,IIRC he sold them to Harry Fearon and I also recall he ran D1000 and 33ft flat,I think when he packed up he ran a Pub near Cockermouth.Someone from W.■■■■■■■ will give us the correct gen I’ve no doubt ! Cheers Dennis.

Leyland600:
Hi Chris, Yes you could see the IOM from Marchon especially when loading drums at S ■■, when your isle was covered in snow the dykes stood out like a crossword puzzle on a clear frosty morning, however despite all the tourist blurb about being a sunshine isle I have never been convinced that the weather was any better than Whitehaven being so near. You have now convinced me that I was probably right unfortunately I have never been but would have liked to visit a good few years ago when IOM Road Services ran a great fleet of Leyland bodied PD2s, Royal Tigers and Olympics. Did you know the Mageen family from Whitehaven who started ■■■■■■■■■■ Motor Services had a strong financial interest in IOMRS this is probably where the Leyland connection came in. A coach operator friend near Carlisle has an ex Douglas Corporation AEC Regent in his yard one of the last Regents built.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hi 600.You are right about the IOM weather,just the same as ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ a bit windier. I can see ■■■■■■■■■■ from my front window and sometimes Snowdonia,60 miles away.
I didn’t know the Mageen family,I’ve only been over here 6 years,but a friend of mine used to drive for both Douglas Corporation and IOM Road Services. A couple of photos…

My mate is pictured with 64. :smiley:

Hi Bewick, I,m not sure if he bought a pub or just spent a lot of time there. In 1964 I went to the Earls Court show with Alex and TH we met up with Patty who eventually came back to our hotel got tidied up then he would take us up the West End and show us lads frae the backwoods the sights of LONDON !! We got a taxi and eventually while sitting ages at traffic lights to change the taxi meter was adding up faster that a present day diesel pump. TH suddenly saw 17/6d on the meter and exclaimed that we would all be bankrupt before we got to our destination. The driver had been listining to us chatting away in the Queens English as you do in ■■■■■■■ when he enquired if we were foreigners, Patty speaks up and say " No marra aah’s frae Speytri". He had no answer to that !!
Cheers Leyland 600.

Hi Chris, Excellent photos from the IOM, Here are a couple of the former Douglas AEC Regent MkV which resides in ■■■■■■■ converted to a mobile home. I understand the Magean family came from the IOM and started ■■■■■■■■■■ MS very early 1920s at Whitehaven, Wigton depot was there second garage built in 1925 and was only demolished in October 2010 to make way for a Lidle supermarket. Regards, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Bewick, I,m not sure if he bought a pub or was the pubs best customer spending so much that he probably bought it twice over. In 1964 I went to the Earls Court show with Alex and Tyson, we met up with Patty who eventually came back to our hotel got tidied up then he would take us up the West End and show us lads frae the backwoods the sights of LONDON !! We got a taxi and eventually while sitting ages at traffic lights to change the taxi meter was adding up faster that a present day diesel pump. Tyson suddenly saw 17/6d on the meter and exclaimed that we would all be bankrupt before we got to our destination. The driver had been listining to us chatting away in the Queens English as you do in ■■■■■■■ when he enquired if we were foreigners, Patty speaks up and say " No marra aah’s frae Speytri". He had no answer to that !!
Cheers Leyland 600.

The Cockneys knowledge of the geography of their own country stops at somewhere about Dunstable,as when I was running up and down to London with my first motor used to collect all kinds of bits for my area,I was often asked “where the ■■■■■■■ hell is Kendal,how far from Glasgow is it” or “where the ■■■■■■■ hell is Westmorland” !! Cheers Dennis.

A couple of old fuel oils distribution tankers,

Mr Rickerby taking delivery of the new motor in the first one ?

Hi, I bought all my diesel from Rickerby,s from 1964 to 1980 without any problems at all. Its just a pity that fuel is,nt the same price today as the first load I bought in from Rickerbys in December 1964. 500 gallons cost £106-00 nett = 4/6d per gallon or 21.2 p in todays terminolgy. no VAT in those days. Cheers , Leyland 600.

DADS MODEL.jpggot this made for my dad for christmas , this was his last motor before he retired in 1999 ,

Bubbasdad:
0got this made for my dad for christmas , this was his last motor before he retired in 1999 ,

Hello buddasdad
Excelent model. Do you ind if I ask who built the model??
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

Stanfield:

Hello
I never heard of Patterson’s before. Can anyone tell me any info on them?
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Stanfield:

Hello
I never heard of Patterson’s before. Can anyone tell me any info on them?
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

CG I think Dennis would be the man for that info.

Hello ■■■■■■■■ Gill i built the John irving 113 topline for duncans dad who drove the truck. it was a christmas present.
Paul

Leyland600:
Hi, I bought all my diesel from Rickerby,s from 1964 to 1980 without any problems at all. Its just a pity that fuel is,nt the same price today as the first load I bought in from Rickerbys in December 1964. 500 gallons cost £106-00 nett = 4/6d per gallon or 21.2 p in todays terminolgy. no VAT in those days. Cheers , Leyland 600.

IIRC Derv was still about that price in 67/68 as I bought my 500 gal drops for about the same price and I could turn that cost into around £750 of earnings for the month,sometimes more, sometimes less, but £750 a month for a general haulage 10 tonner wasn’t that bad at the time ! I bet some of to-days operators would die for that kind of spend on derv for that kind of earnings,about 14/15% of costs.Happy days ! Cheers Bewick.