Classic vintage commercials mag

Looking through the truck mag section in wetherby services the other day I thought I’d try classic & vintage commercials for abit of a change.I couldnt leave it alone.Reading about the old characters and stories of what trucking was like,and all the british build trucks of yesteryear.I’m only 44 and only been driving trucks about 9 years so reading this mag made Me wish a little I was in the game back then.You old timers on here must think it was better back then surely.
If I had abit of spare cash and somewhere to store it I wouldnt mind getting Myself an old truck to show…

I regularly buy their sister periodical Old Glory, nothing better than a bacon’n’egg butty off a no5 coal shovel :smiley:

Thats the traction engine mag chester is’nt it?.Love seeing them big old things at the steam rallies.All them Fellas looks like they’ve spent an hour or so down the coal mines.

chester:
I regularly buy their sister periodical Old Glory, nothing better than a bacon’n’egg butty off a no5 coal shovel :smiley:

I realise Old Glory is predominantly aimed at traction engines etc, but I think the “eating bacon and eggs off a shovel thing” is a myth, at least in the days of steam locomotives. I asked my dad about this once - he worked on the railways for nearly 40 years, and worked alongside quite a few old timers from days gone by.

He told me the reason it was a myth was because if nature called on a long run, the crew would have a ■■■■ on the shovel, so to speak, and throw it in the fire afterwards, not something you want to cook on :open_mouth: :laughing:

Perhaps it is something they do on tourists railways, but not back when men were men :laughing:

Could just have two shovels, just don’t forget witch is witch :wink:

Classic Truck is the better classic mag, if you like the Old Glory type format, then Heritage Commercials is a good buy. CVC used to be a lot better but it’s got very repetitive in recent years. The A to Z of trucks has been curing insomnia for forever and a day…
The classfieds are are very interesting; The prices people think a rotten Ford Cargo will fetch…

Now I was given a copy of Classic Truck this week because a unit I once owned was in it and dare I say I thought it was a ■■■■ good read. Probably will buy it again in preference
to others on sale but couldn’t help notice T&D which I didn’t buy seemed to have increased classic vehicle coverage.Classic trucks,the good old day’s my ■■■.

Armagedon:
Now I was given a copy of Classic Truck this week because a unit I once owned was in it and dare I say I thought it was a ■■■■ good read. Probably will buy it again in preference
to others on sale but couldn’t help notice T&D which I didn’t buy seemed to have increased classic vehicle coverage.Classic trucks,the good old day’s my ■■■.

Tosh and Drivel were doing classics because there was nothing else in it. Trucking and Classic Truck got my cash this month.

bazza123:
He told me the reason it was a myth was because if nature called on a long run, the crew would have a [zb] on the shovel, so to speak, and throw it in the fire afterwards, not something you want to cook on :open_mouth: :laughing:

Perhaps it is something they do on tourists railways, but not back when men were men :laughing:

Yeah perhaps cooking breakfast off a shovel was make believe

svsfilm.com/nineelms/bfast.htm

“Dont always belive everything you read on the internet” Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (29 September 1758 — 21 October 1805 )

Muckaway:
The prices people think a rotten Ford Cargo will fetch…

I agree mate and look at this: ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CARGO-6X … _709wt_962

Six wheel Cargos in this country are very rare post Export market; but in a s.hite condition, still worth very little. What’s that worth, even with ‘good’ tipping gear■■? Nicely restored, with a shiny rebuilt Deutz, then yep (for me as a Cargo enthusiast), but in it’s current condition, perhaps £750 tops… Dosn’t do the pres scene any good with stupid prices like this.

Agree on Classic Truck being a good read. Getting a bit fed up of some of the basic errors in CVC where a photo caption will say “tidy 1988 ERF EC” for example. Or the other one that says “fine picture of a 1975 Atki Borderer that we featured last year.”

The last T&D did seem to have a lot of classic stuff in it? Was it a lead up to the Retro Show?

chester:

bazza123:
He told me the reason it was a myth was because if nature called on a long run, the crew would have a [zb] on the shovel, so to speak, and throw it in the fire afterwards, not something you want to cook on :open_mouth: :laughing:

Yeah perhaps cooking breakfast off a shovel was make believe

svsfilm.com/nineelms/bfast.htm

“Dont always belive everything you read on the internet” Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (29 September 1758 — 21 October 1805 )

I had a look at those stories, and perhaps it did go on in a few places, but I can only go with what my dad told me.

Nice idea though.

Just flicked through cvc November edition, on page 37 peter Davies has a cracking picture of a seller’s of liam foden, then when you read the caption it’s not correct, they did and still do own a yard in ashbourne and separately so do ak transport, neither are in alfreton, sellers main operating centre and garage still is to this day in liam though they no longer run trucks
bob sellers son still runs the garage where work is carried out on other operators trucks and coaches

Haven’t bought any truck mags since September. There’s just nothing worth throwing £4 away for. Agree that the Peter Daves photos are good but need more coverage just like the carrying on feature. I don’t want “tales from the workshop” a waffly editorial and that damned A to Zzzzz.
Still better than most issues of Tosh and Drivel with their “here’s another Scania with pointless airbrushing and spotlights” recurring features.

sdg1970:

Muckaway:
The prices people think a rotten Ford Cargo will fetch…

I agree mate and look at this: ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CARGO-6X … _709wt_962

Six wheel Cargos in this country are very rare post Export market; but in a s.hite condition, still worth very little. What’s that worth, even with ‘good’ tipping gear■■? Nicely restored, with a shiny rebuilt Deutz, then yep (for me as a Cargo enthusiast), but in it’s current condition, perhaps £750 tops… Dosn’t do the pres scene any good with stupid prices like this.

£750?

It’ll weigh in for more than that.

There were loads of cargo 6 wheeler tippers in our area between E&L reg most were the l10 ■■■■■■■ and many had Jake brakes fitted which involved cutting a small amount out of the rear cab crossmember, the rubber rear suspension was also the most popular choice
Many of these cargos had the engine tweaked and most were uprated to 26 ton so they went well and had a good payload, there’s 1 next door to our yard 1 owner driver from new on a g plate, not on the road at this time though

I read all the classic truck mags,Classic Truck,Vintage Roadscene,Classic and Vintage Commercial,Classic Military.
OMG,am I really that old?