Cumbria companies

This was the van I bought off Tommy Leyland it was “Bowater spec” and had Jo Loda tracks fitted ( we had a set of J/Loda trollies) we ran it out of Bowater Scotts Barrow Mill down to Lancs and Cheshire with Tissue products then it was loaded back from Aintree with new 45 gal drums for Whitehaven. IIRC I eventually sold it on to a Dealer. Cheers Dennis.

The late Curly Cargill from Penrith delivering a lorry to LV Transport, Kent.

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 11.55.24.png

Ready for Monday

Hi Paul, The Scania certainly looks good, I hope it serves you well.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya,
Wow Paul she’s a beauty enough to make an old fellah’ want to resurrect
his licence hope she serves you well with no problems.
thanks harry, long retired.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

lvalsler:
Another one of LV Transports, Northfleet, Kent subbies.

Perhaps “you know who” could shed some light on this contractor?

David

I can tell you David that J.T. Leyland’s depot is on the other side of the main line from where the Bewick depot was. I knew Tommy Leyland fairly well although he passed away probably about 20 years ago. The firm has been run since Tommy passed away by his youngest brother Michael Leyland. I never did any business with Tommy but I did once buy a 36ft single axle Crane Fruehauf van off him in the 70’s. You may notice when looking at some of our depot shots there is an odd glimpse of Leylands across the line. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis
Yep Leylands are still in the yard, we have extended the yard. Mike has been in hospital for a short period of time recently but he is back at work fit as a fiddle again. Nothing seems to slow him down. Mike has bought a few new motors recently mainly Merc and the garage has been upgraded with a new pit and brake test rollers.

E333D1AB-7DD1-412E-8ED3-2A84541D9D91.jpeg

lvalsler:

Hi LV
I worked with Lawrence when he was at Leylands. A true gent and very smart driver, he always wore his tie. Even tho I’d just started driving he kept an eye out for me and as I always kept my truck polished Lawrence had a lot of time for me.
Altho it was a fight on a friday when we both wanted to wash our units. If I was working a Saturday morning I always made sure to wash my DAF and his Merc

B244F2AA-DC31-4018-AC82-6689531CD295.jpeg

Still mud in the winter and dust in the summer, Ste?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Still mud in the winter and dust in the summer, Ste?

Yeh. It’s still exactly the same. Under the canopy its concreted but the rest of the yard is rough.

Hello Ste!

Lawrence was one of our best drivers and worked with us for along time! I remember some of the old Leyland drivers very well, a few of them were Barry Peel, George Allan and of course Mike Leyland - Wish him very well from me if you see him!

Thank You,

Len Valsler

Ste Burrow:

lvalsler:

Hi LV
I worked with Lawrence when he was at Leylands. A true gent and very smart driver, he always wore his tie. Even tho I’d just started driving he kept an eye out for me and as I always kept my truck polished Lawrence had a lot of time for me.
Altho it was a fight on a friday when we both wanted to wash our units. If I was working a Saturday morning I always made sure to wash my DAF and his Merc

Some Norman Billington drivers from Lancaster and George Allan from J.T Leyland Milnthorpe, ■■■■■■■■ waiting for return loads at LV Transport Yard, Northfleet, Kent. Photo taken by myself.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 19.42.48.png

Found this picture Dennis, I have a few more somewhere, brings back many fond memories from years ago! When I find them I hope you wouldn’t mind me putting them on?
Thank you for the book a few years ago, hope you are keeping well?
Len Valsler

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 19.42.43.png

Hi Robroy, Searching back through this ■■■■■■■ thread for info on Pop Carr’s Commers I came across your photo showing Clive Kerr on the left middle dont know and the guy on the right is familiar but cannot name him, do you know and do you know the registration numbers of any of the Commers. ? In a previous post you mentioned various CFM drivers, Duggie would be Duggie Beaty who was on the 2 pedal Beaver flour tanker. The guy with the WW2 jeep was Kenny Holt on an ERF 6 wheeler feed tanker NHH ■■? Kenny taught me how to operate a bulk feed tanker when I got mine. He died suddenly many years ago however only three weeks ago I noticed that there was a memorial trophy in his name awarded to the best military vehicle at the recent Carlisle and District Vintage Club rally at the Borderway Mart.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Sad News

Well that is more sad news, I never met old Tyson but I did read articles in the motor transport & commercial motor books where he was mentioned a few times RIP Tyson Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence, I have known Tyson since 1963 in the days when he had just the one wagon an Albion Reiver 52 CRM I was saddened to get a phone call early last week informing me of his passing, he and I always got on well over the past 55 years and I appreciate the help and assistance he gave me in my early days as an owner driver and ongoing friendship since. Here is a photograph I took on the new A69 road up above Melkridge one day in August 1963 while off work with a broken leg. I was riding shotgun with my mate the late Robbie Boyes in his Reiver 649 KRM on a day when he and Tyson both loaded timber out of Tyne Dock for Jacksons Sawmills at Whitehaven who were one of Tyson’s main customers. This photo and two others I took that day are the only photographs that exist of Tyson’s original Reiver . RIP Tys,
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Tyson&Robbie 1.jpg

Leyland600:
Hi Lawrence, I have known Tyson since 1963 in the days when he had just the one wagon an Albion Reiver 52 CRM I was saddened to get a phone call early last week informing me of his passing, he and I always got on well over the past 55 years and I appreciate the help and assistance he gave me in my early days as an owner driver and ongoing friendship since. Here is a photograph I took on the new A69 road up above Melkridge one day in August 1963 while off work with a broken leg. I was riding shotgun with my mate the late Robbie Boyes in his Reiver 649 KRM on a day when he and Tyson both loaded timber out of Tyne Dock for Jacksons Sawmills at Whitehaven who were one of Tyson’s main customers. This photo and two others I took that day are the only photographs that exist of Tyson’s original Reiver . RIP Tys,
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland 600,Thanks for posting these good photos from the old days, They were kind of high loads & secured with ropes, But of course the job was done by drivers who new how to secure such loads regardless, The old sysal ropes were hard on the hands, But they were all that we had to use in those days, Regards Larry.

Thanks Lawrence, yes sisal ropes and if you look closely you will see a chain holding the packages together both wagons secured identically. I hauled many loads like these on Tysons’s behalf as a back load from Hartlepool and Tyne Dock back to various timber merchants in ■■■■■■■ on my S21 Foden 8 wheeler 1967-70.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Sorry to hear of Tyson’s passing Gerald, I only met him once in the mid 70’s just after I’d bought McGuffie Transport and we started to become more involved in W. ■■■■■■■■ Was Tyson’s Reiver double drive ? I know our Marra’s was single drive. Those loads of timber floor boarding needed treating with respect but those two Marras would be well up to the job without doubt ! Cheers Dennis.

These were two “■■■■■■■■■ loads, one going up into ■■■■■■■ to Marchon , and one on it’s way out of ■■■■■■■ which IIRC was Pig iron on it’s way to Midland Roller makers at Crewe.