Cumbria companies

Thanks Dennis yes it was a surprise I did not expect. I don’t know if it was a double drive or not. Did Tyson buy the McGuffie Atkinson from you, I knew its driver when in service with Tyson.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Thanks Dennis yes it was a surprise I did not expect. I don’t know if it was a double drive or not. Did Tyson buy the McGuffie Atkinson from you, I knew its driver when in service with Tyson.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald,

The 4 wheel Atky you mention had been sold long before I bought John out, he would get the Atky in late '68 at the time he got his “A” Licence from the same chap that I acquired 2 “A”'s from it was me who told him about the licences ! ( wish I hadn’t on hind sight afterwards :blush: ) However, I’m not sure if he part-exed it back to JWG for a new Scania 80 unit and a couple of trailers but he may have sold it to Tys direct, you may know that bit ! As a 4 wheeler it was a bit on the heavy side I believe but a quality motor never the less. Cheers Dennis.

Taken at Birch Services at the start of the 2010 Trans Pennine Run----R.I.P Mr Burridge.

Tyson H Burridge.jpg

RIP Mr Burridge.

Leyland600:
Hi Robroy, Searching back through this ■■■■■■■ thread for info on Pop Carr’s Commers I came across your photo showing Clive Kerr on the left middle dont know and the guy on the right is familiar but cannot name him, do you know and do you know the registration numbers of any of the Commers. ? In a previous post you mentioned various CFM drivers, Duggie would be Duggie Beaty who was on the 2 pedal Beaver flour tanker. The guy with the WW2 jeep was Kenny Holt on an ERF 6 wheeler feed tanker NHH ■■? Kenny taught me how to operate a bulk feed tanker when I got mine. He died suddenly many years ago however only three weeks ago I noticed that there was a memorial trophy in his name awarded to the best military vehicle at the recent Carlisle and District Vintage Club rally at the Borderway Mart.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, just seen your post now…sorry.
You’ll need to re.post the pic, I can’t find it, but as far as I remember it was Bill Carr (Pop’s son) …don’t know the reg numbers, no.
Thanks for the info on Carr’s drivers, did I mention Geoff Laidlaw, Bob Groves and Bert Jackson, did you also know them?

Hi Roy, Yes I knew Geof Laidlaw, Bob Groves (Groovy) when driving for Carrs but more so when he was on the bulk loading weighbridge and Bert Jackson with his little black book full of farm names and locations. Anytime any of the drivers got a set of loading notes with perhaps a new farm or shop address and after asking around other regular drivers and drawing a blank the usual comment was go and ask Bert who on getting out his little book saying "Aye noo let me see Ah think its so and so " then referring to the book “Aye ah was reet, turn off where t ducks are on’t pond” etc
I cannot find that photo again of Pops Commer but definitely Clive Kerr and the other chap I recognise but cannot name.
Happy Days, Cheers, Leyland 600

7.jpg
A shot of a 111 from a top W. ■■■■■■■ Haulier in their time.

A shot of one of my long gone Marra’s, Harry Thompson’s motors which was IIRC about his third which replaced an ERGO Albion Reiver. Bewick.

I always thought Johnstons wagons looked tidy

image.jpeg

hodgeturbo:

Great shot there Hodge ! and that trailer parked to the left has two Moulds on from DEC eh! How’s that big new motor garn on ? paying it’s way I hope ! Cheers Dennis.

Iveco Stralis 460 - Cannons Transport Ltd. Kendal - (PN65TWW):

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Great shot there Hodge ! and that trailer parked to the left has two Moulds on from DEC eh! How’s that big new motor garn on ? paying it’s way I hope ! Cheers Dennis.

It’s going alright Dennis thanks had a week or two to forget my wagon bent two push rods in the engine had a automatic sheet pack up a burst bottom radiator hose 5 broken springs and a tail board damaged in a barber green,oh nearly forgot a Michelin remould that parted the tread from the carcus had only been on 3 weeks.But these things are sent to try us everybody would want to do it if it was easy :smiley: :smiley:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

It’s going alright Dennis thanks had a week or two to forget my wagon bent two push rods in the engine had a automatic sheet pack up a burst bottom radiator hose 5 broken springs and a tail board damaged in a barber green,oh nearly forgot a Michelin remould that parted the tread from the carcus had only been on 3 weeks.But these things are sent to try us everybody would want to do it if it was easy :smiley: :smiley:

There’s only 1 wagon out of 8 that hasn’t ailed owt

hodgeturbo:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

There’s only 1 wagon out of 8 that hasn’t ailed owt

Well Hodge it sounds like to me that you have had mare than thy fair share of aggro eh! So what d’yu think aboot garn till Chapel a bit mare eh! Insteed of garn on’t ■■■■ !! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis I bought a second hand ERF 66GX at the same time as Harry bought a new AEC Marshal he was always complaining about the fuel consumption and eventually saw the error of his ways and bought a 66GX six wheeler like mine although this one looks like a double drive. At the time I was keen to buy a new Marshal but the ERF came up and seemed a much better deal which it proved to be both economically and for reliability.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis I bought a second hand ERF 66GX at the same time as Harry bought a new AEC Marshal he was always complaining about the fuel consumption and eventually saw the error of his ways and bought a 66GX six wheeler like mine although this one looks like a double drive. At the time I was keen to buy a new Marshal but the ERF came up and seemed a much better deal which it proved to be both economically and for reliability.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald
Well at least you made the correct decision about plumping for the ERF :slight_smile: ( was it the ex Geoff Stamper one?) I never reckoned the AEC Marshal although at 22 ton GVW the trailing axle model could match an 8 wheeler as regards payload. The Marshal was just an extension of the Mercury now that was a decent motor, wished I could have afforded one eh! :wink: But I reckon that 6 wheeler of HTT would have been a single drive motor as Harry liked to get his “wack” on and a bit more if possible ! Cheers Dennis.

I’ve just read in our local paper that Percy Unsworth of Cartmel passed away on the 14th aged 80. For many years in the 50’s/60’s/70’s Unsworths ran as full time subbies for Robsons, not just sure how many motors they ran but it was probably 2 or 3. There is a shot of Percy’s Guy Warrior 4 wheeler in one of Bob Tuck’s books standing on Dock Road in Liverpool where a lot of Robsons traffic originated. In later years after Robsons sold out Percy carried on as an O/D and ran for TDG but I believe he did work directly for Premier Brands. He had obviously been retired for quite a number of years now but I always found him a very decent Bloke to chat to on the occasions I came across him over the years. RIP Percy top Man ! Cheers Bewick.