Crane with the loose leg

Check this out on Commercial Motor… Lorry-mounted crane incident sees director handed eight-year ban commercialmotor.com/news/com … t-year-ban

Seem to be dishing the fines out to the mataince

They are quite keen on double leg locks on mot .

He should be getting a large dollop of porridge.

+1

No mention of the driver getting some serious punishment…walk round checks etc…he should also take blame…even though he reported it and nothing was done, but he could have refused to drive it.

Punchy Dan:

Are they?
The motor I drive has been through 10 MOT’s and has no leg locks whatsoever. Only hydraulic pipes, rams and fluid keep all four stabiliser legs ‘in’.
Same for the other 30 odd crane trucks the of same spec around the UK.

Punchy Dan:

Yes they are.

Normally locking pin with a secondary safety pin/catch.

I had them retro fitted to 3 out of 3 crane lorries I’ve had, they were all old dogs, and had only a single locking pin previously.

Gembo:

Punchy Dan:

Are they?
The motor I drive has been through 10 MOT’s and has no leg locks whatsoever. Only hydraulic pipes, rams and fluid keep all four stabiliser legs ‘in’.

Next time you go for test put your money where your mouth is and ask to see the mot testers guide ,the bit about leg securing devices .

Q: Why do cranes stand on one leg?

A: They stand on one leg when they are roosting, and tuck one leg up into their body to keep it warm. Birds, like mammals, are warm blooded. Because cranes have higher temperatures and smaller bodies than humans, they lose body heat more readily.

Punchy Dan:

Gembo:

Punchy Dan:

Are they?

Next time you go for test put your money where your mouth is and ask to see the mot testers guide ,the bit about leg securing devices .

Thinking about it further, Ive also been pulled by DVSA twice over the last 5 years, they never mentioned it either.
Next plating due in July and I bet it passes again.

I’ll echo what Gembo has said, i’ve had numerous rigid crane vehicles for the test over the last 10 years (up until around 2015), with cranes ranging from 1999 to around 2010 (various makes, mainly palfinger) and none from memory have been fitted with any sort of visible pin or catch type locking device at all on the legs (mainly been cranes around the 19-25t/m mark with only two front legs).

Would need to have a look at the testers manual is it a case of inspect and check operation if fitted?

Never had an issue with any test failing regarding crane leg locks, never even been mentioned. One roadside inspection I can remember and nothing said either.

Sounds like this is more testers discretion in some traffic areas?

I have a 99 palfinger with double locks on factory fitted ,they are manual pull out ,also I have a new this month Hmf and it has hydraulic out legs and one set of manual leg locks factory fitted ,also a Chinese that ACB who sold it had to fit leg locks ,also had an Atlas with hyd out legs it too had locks on from the factory .

Here’s mine when it was new vanvliet.com/vehicles/s/111 … pk-32080-t (not the actual one) , no locks. Pal 32080.
We take delivery of a new truck later this year fitted with a new Palfinger 50002. Be interesting to see if has manual locks fitted!