Stabiliser legs on low loaders

Morning. I’ve been a member of this site for quite a while now and turned to on many occasions. Looking for advice on something that sounds daft but is annoying me on a daily basis! I pull a king lowloader trailer with the manual stabiliser legs at the back end for loading. Problem is when I stow them away, put the pin through and twist it round all seems secure. After most trips… Long or short I dread walking round because as sure as Dolly parton sleeps on her back either one or both are either twisted up, hanging by a baw hair or on 4 occasions in the last 3 months unknowingly left lying on some recently travelled tarmac. Sorry for the rant but any of the boys I work with say they don’t come out unless I’ve not secured them correctly when I’m pretty sure I have. Don’t want to report back to the gaffer tht I’ve ripped a leg off… Don’t think it would go down to well. Just looking for any tips to secure them in place
Cheers

Go through it with one of the other guys. I don’t think the boss would mind if you asked him to double check things. Better that then a repair bill

Regardless of make, if you have stowed them correctly then the trailer is defective.

If you haven’t stowed them correctly, well the trailer is not the one that is at fault!

taffytrucker:
Go through it with one of the other guys. I don’t think the boss would mind if you asked him to double check things. Better that then a repair bill

This is true. Am sure it wouldn’t be cheap to replace. This is why I prefer to check other posts 1st. So I can kid on I worked it out for myself!

F-reds:
Regardless of make, if you have stowed them correctly then the trailer is defective.

If you haven’t stowed them correctly, well the trailer is not the one that is at fault!

I’ll need to have another look. One thing I’ve noticed us that the legs have got quite a bit of excess play in them. Was thinking maybe if they gave more room to knock about maybe more chance of knocking the pins?

‘‘on 4 occasions in the last 3 months unknowingly left lying on some recently travelled tarmac’’

You’ve left it this long before tryin to sort the problem :open_mouth: :question:

raymundo:
‘‘on 4 occasions in the last 3 months unknowingly left lying on some recently travelled tarmac’’

You’ve left it this long before tryin to sort the problem :open_mouth: :question:

Nobody’s perfect. Especially not me haha

a picture might help, better a thousand eyes than two

hotel magnum:
a picture might help, better a thousand eyes than two

If they’re like the crane leg twist locks there’s a hole for an R clip .

Try replacing the pins with a a couple of pins from a ball and pin tow hitch, that way they can be secured in place using an R clip. If your doing smaller plant try pinching erm i mean borrowing, them from the back of dumpers.

I took the earlier advice and asked one of the boys if he had any tips or tricks… And he did… Out with a mash hammer and bent the metal cover in… Works for me anyway.

keep them well oiled.Mine used to twist round on our old trailer , but i found that if they were oiled they stayed in position

rob c:
keep them well oiled.Mine used to twist round on our old trailer , but i found that if they were oiled they stayed in position

Thanks for the tip rob. I’ll defo give it a go.

Could you not have the end of the pin drilled and stick a large R clip in it to stop it coming out?? Permenant fix for a couple of quid…

Yeah or as suggested earlier borrow a couple from some of the plant being shifted! When one of the guys at work looked he said for starters the replacement pins are thinner than the originals which doesn’t help matters. I’ve adapted for now with a couple of large rubber seals think from inside of connections for drainage pipes, wrapped them round piano attach under the trailer but it is a pain tbh