How do they get away with this?

image.jpeg travelling with the crane up , I’ve never seen any slew locks .

Is that a branch at the top :open_mouth:

tango boy:
Is that a branch at the top :open_mouth:

Mate, you’re not a proper HIAB driver unless you’ve got some foliage trapped in your pipes :wink:

It must be under some sort exemption I imagine?!

No insurance and no mot looks like it’s headed for the pound and crushed! As for having him arm that high surely it must affect the handling?

just laziness with being a mega important recovery type ■■■■■■■ least he aint got on his recovery lights as some of them tend to do…

Those street lifter cranes only have one knuckle & don’t fold away, whats he/she supposed to do with it■■?

Towman:
Those street lifter cranes only have one knuckle & don’t fold away, whats he/she supposed to do with it■■?

Dosent make it right though ,I have a T boom and a knuckle boom , what would happen if I drove round with the T boom out over the load rather than folded away if nipped by the vosa ?

I have pondered the safety of the design myself in the past, seems to put a lot of faith in the integrity of the seals.

Wouldn’t do the teeth any good on the rack .

From my recovery days, when sent on the in house hiab course we were told that this type of crane (t boom I think) have a built in locking mechanism. How true that is I don’t know but as i said it was an in house training so it’s how they wanted it done.

As for the height of the crane, the lifting frame is on a pivot and if not lifted to take the slack out of the straps it would flop around and more than likely smash up the car being towed. Some of the straps can fed through the lifting eye and hooked back down onto the spoons so that way you can run with the crane lower but this isn’t always the case.

Punchy Dan:

Towman:

Dosent make it right though ,I have a T boom and a knuckle boom , what would happen if I drove round with the T boom out over the load rather than folded away if nipped by the vosa ?

You haven’t answered my question, where is he suppose to put it? & the spreader frame for that matter?

To answer your question, if you boom is strapped & unable to slew then nothing would happen,

They are designed to run like that & the many hundreds of street lifters operated by DVLA (or what ever they are called)up & down the UK run exactly the same when loaded with a car, because there is NO where to place the spreader frame (which also is piped to the crane) & the boom.

You’ll notice some tension on the 4 lifting straps that’s so the crane can’t slew anyway as its attached to the car & the car is strapped to the bed,

If I was the vosa man I’d be looking at the whole thing being not fit for purpose ,why can’t they use a longer lorry giving bed space to sit the lifting frame on the bed when not in use and have a crane that can be properly stowed ,smells of one rule them and another for us ?

Infact it wouldn’t be rocket science to have a substantial steel sticking up with a fork on top to rest the boom in to for travelling .it only takes the ram seals to bypass and the tension on those straps would be gone .