Container height

How do Containers run around in Europe with the height restrictions in place.All the Containers i’ve pulled have
been in excess of 14 feet.I know the trucks have little wheels but the are not that much smaller.I know its a simple
answer but i ain’t got a clue.

Different trailers the skellies we use standard height in eu is 4 meters. Have a look at some of the ecs trailers being pulled by Belgian trucks that run out of Purfleet and Immingham
sent from my Lumia 950XL using tapatalk for windows 10 mobile

Shallow trenches in the road surface…

Smaller tyres.And a lower fifth wheel will bring the height down too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It does amaze me that us english run around with our boxes so high up in the air. After all were suppose to be the most effecient in the transport game.

In europe the container sits near enough on the tyres/mudflap. Here in blighty theres about a foot inbetween.

alix776:
Different trailers the skellies we use standard height in eu is 4 meters. Have a look at some of the ecs trailers being pulled by Belgian trucks that run out of Purfleet and Immingham

That’s all well and good keeping below 4 meters, but how do they manage with a 31 tonne 40’ box on 5 axles with a max gross of 40 tonnes?

weeto:

alix776:

That’s all well and good keeping below 4 meters, but how do they manage with a 31 tonne 40’ box on 5 axles with a max gross of 40 tonnes?

Not all have a gross weight of 40t Holland is 50t and a lot of them also run on 6 axles, France have recently upped their weights too

Dry van on skelly 13.6 HQ 14.6

Hope this helps

Italy the same 44 tonne 5 axles it’s not a problem

Concretejim:
After all were suppose to be the most effecient in the transport game.

Yeah - right … :unamused: :wink: This is a joke isn’t it? :smiley:

Concretejim:
It does amaze me that us english run around with our boxes so high up in the air. After all were suppose to be the most effecient in the transport game.

In europe the container sits near enough on the tyres/mudflap. Here in blighty theres about a foot inbetween.

Our containers sit higher on the trailer because they are on a sliding skel more commonly than a standard rigid one you see the foreigners using.

In Holland for example, they use the lowest chassis, smallest tires, lowest 5th wheel and nooteboom gooseneck sliders. Brings a 14’ 6" high cube down to 13ft

rob22888:

Concretejim:

Our containers sit higher on the trailer because they are on a sliding skel more commonly than a standard rigid one you see the foreigners using.

What are the big advantages on a sliding skelly over lets say a telescopic european spec skelly?

The europeans still keep things at 4m even using the same spec/height 6x2 midlift units we have here.

The UK might like to think it is the most efficient but looking at the Dutch in particular their trailers are miles ahead of the UK, rear steering is much more common, the axles better spaced to spread the load and as for load security, tie down points and running boards are the norm across Europe not some new invention just because VOSA decided to clamp down on load security last year. Try leaving a German yard without securing a pallet in a curtain sider and it will be a long wait for your paperwork.

You dont go with a Container to the MOT Centre and then many dont care. If they catch you a few Times then just take Standart Container for a while till they have forgotten you. (If an Accident hapen then the Injurence Company may search compensation,-from Driver in that Case.

mazzer:
The UK might like to think it is the most efficient but looking at the Dutch in particular their trailers are miles ahead of the UK, rear steering is much more common, the axles better spaced to spread the load and as for load security, tie down points and running boards are the norm across Europe not some new invention just because VOSA decided to clamp down on load security last year. Try leaving a German yard without securing a pallet in a curtain sider and it will be a long wait for your paperwork.

Was told you have to use the tie down points in Germany. I told him “It doesn’t matter mate I’m only going to London.” Funnily enough the 10 pallets of plastic bottles were secured by the curtains :laughing:

htmldude:

mazzer:

Was told you have to use the tie down points in Germany. I told him “It doesn’t matter mate I’m only going to London.” Funnily enough the 10 pallets of plastic bottles were secured by the curtains :laughing:

Was at place near Koln loaded a 250kg euro pallet about knee height next collection was in the same industrial estate yet he wouldn’t let me leave until it was strapped. :frowning:

Apparently this happened this morning in Tulse Hill. Can’t be sure though so it could just be a years old picture churned up via the Internet again.

Blimey they could have marked that bridge up better :wink:

Cab tilted as well, some definite tea spillage there.

Truck 14’6 ish so almost made it.

//\ a bit of t cut and it’ll be as good as new :wink: