Trailer height

Are taller uk trailers allowed to be used in eu when pulled by a uk truck ? Cheers

No,

Some European countries allow domestic haulage to operate trailers taller than 4m, but all standard international freight should run at maximum of 4m

Cheers, I thought full height uk trailers was allowed if pulled by a uk truck, I was wrong then. Cheers

You can pull any height trailer you like on the continent, they only get tetchy when you go under their tramlines, bridges and tunnels with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most UK trailer bodies are the same size as our German and Dutch counterparts. The difference is the chassis height, running gear and fifth wheel being a foot higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd days:
Cheers, I thought full height uk trailers was allowed if pulled by a uk truck, I was wrong then. Cheers

No Problem, :smiley:
I have known people manage to run slighty overheight trailers and get away with it, but I doubt you’d get UK double deck trailer on the ferry let alone very far before you came unstuck.

At my last company they used to regularly ship out pompey-caen with 2 x 20ft boxes on a standard skelly, this was only 2years ago. All good as long as you don’t hit anything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

truckertang:
At my last company they used to regularly ship out pompey-caen with 2 x 20ft boxes on a standard skelly, this was only 2years ago. All good as long as you don’t hit anything.

Bloody hell that must be over twenty foot high :smiley:

If you get stopped in the Netherlands, and your trailer is a centimetre over 4 meters, you get fined.

the nodding donkey:
If you get stopped in the Netherlands, and your trailer is a centimetre over 4 meters, you get fined.

I haven’t found that to be the case personally. I’ve only been driving around Europe for 18 years though.
Even the Swiss give you a 5cm allowance, and as we all know, the Swiss are sticklers for the rules.

Simon:

the nodding donkey:

I haven’t found that to be the case personally. I’ve only been driving around Europe for 18 years though.
Even the Swiss give you a 5cm allowance, and as we all know, the Swiss are sticklers for the rules.

Theyll give you 1% alright, same on the weight. Just dont be a kg over that, or a cm. Then you might aswel hang yourself.

Most euro trailers are 4.03/4.04 in real life. Which will move through europe no issues. We have a fliegel mega at 3m internal which at 940mm 5thwheel height will run at 4m bang on

Concretejim:

Simon:

the nodding donkey:

Theyll give you 1% alright, same on the weight. Just dont be a kg over that, or a cm. Then you might aswel hang yourself.

Most euro trailers are 4.03/4.04 in real life. Which will move through europe no issues. We have a fliegel mega at 3m internal which at 940mm 5thwheel height will run at 4m bang on

I got pulled and measured in Swiss, with a wagon and drag and got done twice :cry: , once for the prime mover being 4.06 at the rear edge and again for the trailer being 4.07 at the rear edge.
I can’t remember what the total fine was, but it was eye watering. The company paid it without a whimper. They didn’t supply first-aid kits or anything else to meet requirements of stuff you’re supposed to carry. They reckoned the cost of kitting out 500+ wagons was far more expensive than paying the occasional fine.

As far as I know, they didn’t adjust the ride height and trailer coupling height for that rig either.

You’d have thought the police would’ve cottoned on that pulling that companies wagons was a good little earner, but I only got pulled and fined the once.

dave docwra:

truckertang:

Bloody hell that must be over twenty foot high :smiley:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk