Container Heights

Can some one please tell me the running height of a standard skeletal trailer
carrying an 8’ 6" container.

Or more importantly what is the maximum height
container you can carry on a standard skelly and run at 4 meters.

Thanks alot.

Just be carefull with 9`6 boxes if you get one I used to get caught out now and again

A standard sliding skelly runs at 13’6’’ (4.125m) with an 8’6’’ box, you’ll need a swan neck skelly to run at 4m, but they only take 40’ box’s, or a tank skelly for a 20’, but unloading through the rear doors won’t be easy on a tank skelly as the box will sit in the middle of the trailer.

Its all quite simple.
Standard containers and all 20" containers run at 13-6…Then you have 40" High Cubes run at 14-6 as do all 40" reefers…

Watch out for open top box’s they may have the load sticking out the top.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Good point Smee…

Cardo, you need to define what you mean by a standard skeletal, do you mean fixed or sliding there is a considerable difference in running height.

As has already been said a UK spec slider will not carry anything at under 4m.
However a continental spec extending skelly, like a Kassbohrer, a Nooteboom or a Pacton will, because they use a swan neck, and a chassis which extends like a low beds rather than the more normal sliding mechanism. However these extenders will not carry a 20 foot over 25 tonnes legally. They carry it so far back a 30 tonne 20 foot puts the trailer bogie to about 27 tonnes.

A fixed 40’ skelly with a standard 8’6" box will be between 3.95 and 4.05 dependant on neck depth and 5th wheel base plate depth.

There clear as mud

Its all quite simple.
Standard containers and all 20" containers run at 13-6

what about a 20’ high cube :question: :question: :question: :question:

20 ft high cube?? never seen one of them :confused: how about those blue 45ft spanish (i think) boxes that come into avonmouth full of wine…a good 15ft 3in i reckon :open_mouth:

vernonbish777:

Its all quite simple.

what about a 20’ high cube :question: :question: :question: :?:

Ain’t no such beast… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Smee:

vernonbish777:

Its all quite simple.

Arn’t 20 ft reefers same height as Hi Cube?

Mike-C:

Smee:

vernonbish777:

Its all quite simple.

Arn’t 20 ft reefers same height as Hi Cube?

No

Im sorry to say but there ARE 20’ High Cubes albeit very rare. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve pulled about 3 of the beasts. :sunglasses:

R.D:
20 ft high cube?? never seen one of them :confused: how about those blue 45ft spanish (i think) boxes that come into avonmouth full of wine…a good 15ft 3in i reckon :open_mouth:

A lot of the DFDS boxes that come out of Avonmouth are 10’3 I think,making them around the 15’3 mark.
They are also 45 footers and sit obviously further forward to the cab on the trailer,increasing the height slightly too.

They must be very very rare, I have been on containers for 8 years and I have not seen or heard of one… :question:

Cardo:
Can some one please tell me the running height of a standard skeletal trailer
carrying an 8’ 6" container.

Or more importantly what is the maximum height
container you can carry on a standard skelly and run at 4 meters.

Thanks alot.

It all depends on the height of your fifth wheel, simple as that.

There’s always one… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Smee:
There’s always one… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

■■?

Smee:

vernonbish777:

Its all quite simple.

beg to differ on that one maersk and hambug sud have some not many and they dnt often land in this country i have had a couple usually loadin personal effects :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

bikemonkey:

R.D:

A lot of the DFDS boxes that come out of Avonmouth are 10’3 I think,making them around the 15’3 mark.
They are also 45 footers and sit obviously further forward to the cab on the trailer,increasing the height slightly too.

coastal shipping seaforth have got some 10 3s 40’s and 45’s

containers come in all shapes and sizes
you will find some firms transporting
small containers about 4m long over
here in germany.used a lot for transport
small amonuts of goods or tools aroumd.