clearance

toonsy:

Stanley Mitchell:

del trotter:

Stanley Mitchell:
As a point of interest, why is one of the loudest voices in the cross channel trade [West Yorkshire based] buying new kit like its going out of fashion, if the end of the world is nigh ?

New trailers, new trucks, and I wont mention what the his+hers fleet consists of :wink:

Im holding off until I know exactly where this is all going, and Im nowhere near their size :open_mouth:

Just say`in like

If you believe that they know something the rest of us don’t I suggest you read reports of his meeting with Chris Grayling.

So why would anybody be buying seriously spec`d kit if there is any doubt ?

On our local news last night, they had a piece on Horiba Mira and their attempt to build a world leading test track on the site of the “battle of Bosworth” IIRC…the sales pitch from Horiba, is that it would create 1800 jobs, and attract ALL the worlds vehicle manufactures to their site…no mention of Armageddon ?..

Bit of a misnomer that as they are all already there…

This is an extension to what they already have, [if you study the plans]…and,with the new junction on the A5 outside, it seems like the plan was already in the pipeline before June 2016…

Same as my company. 90% of our work is Euroland & new trucks go on the road October & new fridges ordered plus 2 more drivers taken on & still looking for a couple more. My gaffer seems unconcerned about Brexit

Stanley Mitchell:
As a point of interest, why is one of the loudest voices in the cross channel trade [West Yorkshire based] buying new kit like its going out of fashion, if the end of the world is nigh ?

New trailers, new trucks, and I wont mention what the his+hers fleet consists of :wink:

Im holding off until I know exactly where this is all going, and Im nowhere near their size :open_mouth:

Just say`in like

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Conor:

switchlogic:
I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues.

And those delays have absolutely nothing to do with customs clearances because they’re down to wind so boxes can’t be lifted or ferries sale or down to strikes in French ports or mechanical failure/fire etc in the Eurotunnel so they’d occur regardless.

You’ve completely missed the point. The point being that if everyone has to stop to clear customs it will indeed cause huge delays

That doesn’t exactly answer the question as to how do US states manage to deal with differing state taxes levied on the same goods.Or for that matter how does Denmark enforce its 100 % new car purchase tax on EU imports.All without causing chaos at the relevant border crossings.Or in fact any border fromalities at all.Oh wait it’s the inconvenient tanker or artic loaded with cheap Luxembourg cigs or Diesel being brought into UK via Southern Ireland scenario question.Didn’t that go along the bs lines provided by the remoaners that cigs and fuel are supposedly different. :unamused:

switchlogic:

Conor:

switchlogic:
I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues.

And those delays have absolutely nothing to do with customs clearances because they’re down to wind so boxes can’t be lifted or ferries sale or down to strikes in French ports or mechanical failure/fire etc in the Eurotunnel so they’d occur regardless.

You’ve completely missed the point. The point being that if everyone has to stop to clear customs it will indeed cause huge delays

The customs stuff could be done electronically, no need to queue at clearance channel ports or stop 24

Carryfast:
That doesn’t exactly answer the question as to how do US states manage to deal with differing state taxes levied on the same goods.Or for that matter how does Denmark enforce its 100 % new car purchase tax on EU imports.All without causing chaos at the relevant border crossings.Or in fact any border fromalities at all.Oh wait it’s the inconvenient tanker or artic loaded with cheap Luxembourg cigs or Diesel being brought into UK via Southern Ireland scenario question.Didn’t that go along the bs lines provided by the remoaners that cigs and fuel are supposedly different. :unamused:

You seem confused. There is no state import tax in the US. I think you are probably referring to the sales tax that varies from state to state. It is collected at the point of sale (at the cash register etc) within the state and thus the name ‘Sales Tax’.

Likewise in your beloved Denmark. Dealers, like most countries don’t pay over the VAT and other taxes until they register the vehicle. Thus the process is carried out at the dealership, the point of sale and once again has nothing to do with a border.

The Rustler:

Stanley Mitchell:

Just say`in like

A lot of the work that this Co are doing now is NOT general Haulage … they have got into the Exhibition job and I have heard they now want all the Rock N Roll work as well.

It doesn’t matter what niche they are in, the trailer still has to cross the water…

They are certainly going for the R&R / Exhibition work, and if you study their M.O., they are saving the customer a fair bit, none of this hanging about for a week lark… :wink:

doverport.co.uk/about/performance/
theguardian.com/uk-news/201 … xit-delays
ft.com/content/1de61f96-673 … 230fa67aec
ft.com/content/7ff44a0c-59e … ceb45fa9d0
bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43865352
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 52386.html

Currently VAT isnt paid on imported goods from other EU countries until sold. VAT must be paid as soon as goods from other countries leave port of entry, unless a 45 day dispensation is authorised by HMRC. If these rules continue any goods from the EU post Brexit will need to have VAT paid at time of entry. This means companies with large stocks will be paying tax out before they receive it. This is obviously a cost for trading companies: paying out before receiving monies. Given HMRC do random checks for contraband tobacco and alcohol etc (we all know different rules apply here) wont they be doing extra checks on all goods to check VAT has been paid? Opening up trailer doors and seeing no bottles of plonk or baccy wont be enough. Time will be lost. Extra staff employed. We cant expect everyone to be honest can we?
Going the other way it is up to the EU to decide what to do. Holland has employed many hundreds of extra customs staff…
VAT on UK exports mean more expense for our foreign customers.
Delays anywhere will cost hauliers money. Even if its non-UK hauliers those delays and costs will be passed to UK exporters and to retain profits our exports become dearer and less competitive. Electronic paperwork? Well, weve no system in place now, and no plans for any, and given the scale it doesnt exist anywhere in the world yet. If we could "magically" design and install such a system wed need to pay for it, staff to administer it and still need enforcement staff to check it isnt being abused. This is all pretty basic stuff isnt it? These problems and issues are the reason the EU exists.

“[Dover] handled a record 2.6m lorries in 2017, according to its chief executive, Tim Waggott, with annual traffic figures for Eurotunnel, out on Thursday, expected to show a further 1.6m trucks using the rail shuttle to and from the continent”

1994 (before the tunnel) Dover handled less than 1.2million trucks.

It was a different world 25 years ago. Even a small percentage of VAT lost will cost our treasury dearly. That`s less services for you and me.

Extra cost to importers and exporters will be passed on: either to us as customers, or to our foreign clients, who may shop elsewhere.

And the Irish border is still under the corner of the carpet where it was sweep earlier…
“Nothing is agreed, until everything is agreed”.

Hurryup&wait:

Carryfast:

You seem confused. There is no state import tax in the US. I think you are probably referring to the sales tax that varies from state to state. It is collected at the point of sale (at the cash register etc) within the state and thus the name ‘Sales Tax’.

Likewise in your beloved Denmark. Dealers, like most countries don’t pay over the VAT and other taxes until they register the vehicle. Thus the process is carried out at the dealership, the point of sale and once again has nothing to do with a border.

Exactly it’s collected at the point of sale/collection.Just like all other differing levels of taxation between states.It isn’t paid at the border.So tell us what’s the difference between 100 % tax to be levied on Danish car imports from Germany or moving goods across US state lines or moving goods between UK and Europe all subject to differing levels of taxation at the point of sale ?.In neither case do we need to stop vehicles to collect any tax nor obviously to check any paperwork when it’s all pre arranged at the point of ordering and the point of delivery/collection/sale.It’s only at ‘that’ point if duty isn’t paid and by definition customs cleared,that customs then get involved regarding a smuggling offence.Not at the point when it crosses the border.Anything which says otherwise is just remoaner bs. :unamused:

Franglais:
https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/performance/
theguardian.com/uk-news/201 … xit-delays
ft.com/content/1de61f96-673 … 230fa67aec
ft.com/content/7ff44a0c-59e … ceb45fa9d0
bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43865352
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 52386.html

Currently VAT isnt paid on imported goods from other EU countries until sold. VAT must be paid as soon as goods from other countries leave port of entry, unless a 45 day dispensation is authorised by HMRC. If these rules continue any goods from the EU post Brexit will need to have VAT paid at time of entry. This means companies with large stocks will be paying tax out before they receive it. This is obviously a cost for trading companies: paying out before receiving monies. Given HMRC do random checks for contraband tobacco and alcohol etc (we all know different rules apply here) wont they be doing extra checks on all goods to check VAT has been paid? Opening up trailer doors and seeing no bottles of plonk or baccy wont be enough. Time will be lost. Extra staff employed. We cant expect everyone to be honest can we?
Going the other way it is up to the EU to decide what to do. Holland has employed many hundreds of extra customs staff…
Delays anywhere will cost hauliers money. Even if its non-UK hauliers those delays and costs will be passed to UK exporters and to retain profits our exports become dearer and less competitive. Electronic paperwork? Well, weve no system in place now, and no plans for any, and given the scale it doesnt exist anywhere in the world yet. If we could "magically" design and install such a system wed need to pay for it, staff to administer it and still need enforcement staff to check it isnt being abused. This is all pretty basic stuff isnt it? These problems and issues are the reason the EU exists.

“[Dover] handled a record 2.6m lorries in 2017, according to its chief executive, Tim Waggott, with annual traffic figures for Eurotunnel, out on Thursday, expected to show a further 1.6m trucks using the rail shuttle to and from the continent”

1994 (before the tunnel) Dover handled less than 1.2million trucks.

It was a different world 25 years ago. Even a small percentage of VAT lost will cost our treasury dearly. That`s less services for you and me.

Extra cost to importers and exporters will be passed on: either to us as customers, or to our foreign clients, who may shop elsewhere.

And the Irish border is still under the corner of the carpet where it was sweep earlier…
“Nothing is agreed, until everything is agreed”.

So tell me how I’ve imported numerous US car parts without needing to go to East Midlands airport in person to pay the customs before they’d release the goods from the airport ?.While Southampton and Felixtowe docks would obviously have a queue of customers a mile long all waiting to pay their relevant import duties and VAT before any container was allowed to leave. :unamused:

tommy t:

switchlogic:

The customs stuff could be done electronically, no need to queue at clearance channel ports or stop 24

It already is done that way.These zb remoaners really expect everyone to believe that import and export transactions aren’t done in a way in which customs duties and VAT aren’t paid at the point of sale/delivery.But need cash to be handed over to border staff in person on landing.By their logic container and airfreight operations would seize up and we’d have aircraft and ships stuck at their berths all waiting for customers to turn up in person to pay import duty before the stuff is allowed off the ships and planes through the docks or airports. :unamused:

It’s obvious that what they are really saying is that remainer customers will deliberately withold customs payments so as to throw a spanner in the works of the movement of goods.Because that’s the only reason why anything would be stopped from clearing customs.

Carryfast:
So tell me how I’ve imported numerous US car parts without needing to go to East Midlands airport in person to pay the customs before they’d release the goods from the airport ?.While Southampton and Felixtowe docks would obviously have a queue of customers a mile long all waiting to pay their relevant import duties and VAT before any container was allowed to leave.

gov.uk/government/publicati … post-users
Almost certainly find the packages were marked as “Gift”, “Personal Goods” or “No Commercial Value” or somesuch. If under £139 value (declared value) there is no duty payable.
Ive ordered T-shirts from the US and had to collect the parcel from the local sorting office and pay duty. Only a few quid admittedly. More often though Ive had the same experience as you, and have had goods from other non EU countries arrive without hassle and tax issues. If you paid no duty on major items its the same as driving at 40 in a 30 zone with no fines: you got away with it. Containers from docks are either in free EU circulation, or wont be released without Customs clearance if they are from outside the EU.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
So tell me how I’ve imported numerous US car parts without needing to go to East Midlands airport in person to pay the customs before they’d release the goods from the airport ?.While Southampton and Felixtowe docks would obviously have a queue of customers a mile long all waiting to pay their relevant import duties and VAT before any container was allowed to leave.

gov.uk/government/publicati … post-users
Almost certainly find the packages were marked as “Gift”, “Personal Goods” or “No Commercial Value” or somesuch. If under £139 value (declared value) there is no duty payable.
Ive ordered T-shirts from the US and had to collect the parcel from the local sorting office and pay duty. Only a few quid admittedly. More often though Ive had the same experience as you, and have had goods from other non EU countries arrive without hassle and tax issues. If you paid no duty on major items its the same as driving at 40 in a 30 zone with no fines: you got away with it. Containers from docks are either in free EU circulation, or wont be released without Customs clearance if they are from outside the EU.

No it was all subject to duty ( lots ) and I got a phone call from the shipper telling me that my stuff was at their warehouse and would be delivered as soon as I sent them the duty due on it ( cashless electronic transaction ).It then arrived in just the same way and on the same truck as the rest of their domestic UK deliveries for the day that morning.While in the case of non bonded operators the duty would have been paid by me directly to HMC. :unamused:.As for containers tell us why wouldn’t the goods be released from the docks on landing assuming that the customer had sent the relevant payment to HMC as soon as the ship had docked.While you’ve actually admitted yourself that you’ve collected goods subject to duty and paid it at the point of collection or in my case delevery.Which created any border hold up how ?.

Franglais:

I think if that was the only reason the EU existed, we wouldn’t have got to the point of Brexit or the many other poltical changes we’re seeing across Europe at the moment. :confused:

muckles:

Franglais:

I think if that was the only reason the EU existed, we wouldn’t have got to the point of Brexit or the many other poltical changes we’re seeing across Europe at the moment. :confused:

Youre right there is more to the current dissatisfaction in the EU. Some of it justified, some of it confused. Or at least, thats the way I see it. Here, it`s a case of looking at the financial and tax pluses/minuses.

The good aspects of no war in western Europe for over fifty years is unfortunately taken as a “given” by too many. From here the past always looks like an inevitable route to today doesnt it? The big influx of the ex Com Bloc countries was a major event. Wow, we were all happy in 1989 werent we? Quite right too. If that hadn`t happened we might now be in a stronger fiscal position? Less cheap EE labour? No Waberers cut rates?
But look at the alternatives. Nuclear armed poor countries on our doorstep? No trade with us?
Ignore the weapons, economic migrants to the EU from Africa etc would be queuing behind those from East Europe.

Big Government interfering in every day life? If it wasnt Brussels woudnt it be Westminster?

There are problems in the world with globalisation and I honestly think…I suspect you may disagree…that the EU can help fight this. But to do so it needs the appropriate National Governments to be elected, and have them send in the right Commissioners. A single Nation, won`t be in a position to resist global capitalist expansion as strongly as a big SupraNational trading block.

I dunno how itll all work out, but I still think were better placed in, rather than out.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

Youre right there is more to the current dissatisfaction in the EU. Some of it justified, some of it confused. Or at least, thats the way I see it. Here, it`s a case of looking at the financial and tax pluses/minuses.

The good aspects of no war in western Europe for over fifty years is unfortunately taken as a “given” by too many. From here the past always looks like an inevitable route to today doesn`t it?

Yes I believe no present day EU countries have been at war with each other since the end of WWII, but considering for most of that time most of the countries now in the EU weren’t members, The UK, Ireland and Demark did join until 1973, nearly 30 years after the end of the war, Spain and Portugal 1986, I believe and then we have the more recent joiners, I think it’s a bit of a red herring to claim its due to the EU, I would suggest NATO and the Warsaw pact and the iron hand of the USSR had more to do with it than the EU.

Franglais:
The big influx of the ex Com Bloc countries was a major event. Wow, we were all happy in 1989 werent we? Quite right too. If that hadnt happened we might now be in a stronger fiscal position? Less cheap EE labour? No Waberers cut rates?
But look at the alternatives. Nuclear armed poor countries on our doorstep? No trade with us?
Ignore the weapons, economic migrants to the EU from Africa etc would be queuing behind those from East Europe.

I seem to remember former Eastern bloc countries trading with us before they joined the EU, so trade would have happened and no doubt economic deals would have been done between them and the US and EU countries to get them to give up their nuclear weapons, one of the reasons for the continuation of the Russian space program, was the US not wanting loads of Russian rocket scientists going to work for the highest bidder if it had collapsed due to lack of Russian funding.
And of course we would have had, in fact did have those from the former Eastern Bloc coming trying to get here illegally.

Franglais:
Big Government interfering in every day life? If it wasnt Brussels woudnt it be Westminster?

Big government in Westminster and the EU are really part of the same thing, hence why so many on the neo-liberal side in UK politics so keen on EU membership. The difference is we cannot elect EU officials who wield so much power, in fact several EU countries and their opposition in the case of the UK were powerless to stop Juncker to stop Junker being voted in as the President of the EU, this is not some civil service jobs, but a highly influential position, not to mention his appointment of Martin Selmayr which due consternation from even those pro-EU politicians.

Franglais:
There are problems in the world with globalisation and I honestly think…I suspect you may disagree…that the EU can help fight this. But to do so it needs the appropriate National Governments to be elected, and have them send in the right Commissioners. A single Nation, won`t be in a position to resist global capitalist expansion as strongly as a big SupraNational trading block.

I dunno how itll all work out, but I still think were better placed in, rather than out.

Yes globalisation isn’t really there to benefit the normal person, but the big business and those politicians who do their bidding, even if it’s against the wishes of those who elected them. Yes the EU is a mirror of its member countries make up, but that’s where the problem is lies, we’ve lost control of those in power, those who have forgotten they are there to serve us, not us them.
But without Brexit and the other things happening round Europe now, those in control of the EU would have been happy to continue with those policies that were benefiting them and their paymasters.
Honestly economically we’d probably be better in, letting the status quo continue, but the status quo isn’t the best for us in the long run, power and decisions would be continued to become more remote from the people and left in the hands of a few in the elite, until maybe we have revolution like has happened in the past when the people have so little left they have nothing to lose. What’s happening around Europe at the moment saddens me, but it has fired people up into demanding to be listened to and those who thought they had it al their way cannot continue to ignore them for much longer.

That last paragraph is bang on muckles.

And to get back to clearances, load arrived German port early Monday. Still sitting there, we think customs will release it on Monday…maybe.

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

The good aspects of no war in western Europe for over fifty years is unfortunately taken as a “given” by too many. From here the past always looks like an inevitable route to today doesn`t it?

Yes I believe no present day EU countries have been at war with each other since the end of WWII, but considering for most of that time most of the countries now in the EU weren’t members, The UK, Ireland and Demark did join until 1973, nearly 30 years after the end of the war, Spain and Portugal 1986, I believe and then we have the more recent joiners, I think it’s a bit of a red herring to claim its due to the EU, I would suggest NATO and the Warsaw pact and the iron hand of the USSR had more to do with it than the EU.

Franglais:
The big influx of the ex Com Bloc countries was a major event. Wow, we were all happy in 1989 werent we? Quite right too. If that hadnt happened we might now be in a stronger fiscal position? Less cheap EE labour? No Waberers cut rates?

I seem to remember former Eastern bloc countries trading with us before they joined the EU, so trade would have happened and no doubt economic deals would have been done between them and the US and EU countries to get them to give up their nuclear weapons, one of the reasons for the continuation of the Russian space program, was the US not wanting loads of Russian rocket scientists going to work for the highest bidder if it had collapsed due to lack of Russian funding.
And of course we would have had, in fact did have those from the former Eastern Bloc coming trying to get here illegally.

Franglais:

Big government in Westminster and the EU are really part of the same thing, hence why so many on the neo-liberal side in UK politics so keen on EU membership. The difference is we cannot elect EU officials who wield so much power, in fact several EU countries and their opposition in the case of the UK were powerless to stop Juncker to stop Junker being voted in as the President of the EU, this is not some civil service jobs, but a highly influential position, not to mention his appointment of Martin Selmayr which due consternation from even those pro-EU politicians.

Martin Selmayr: The man at the heart of a Brussels saga - BBC News

Franglais:

Yes globalisation isn’t really there to benefit the normal person, but the big business and those politicians who do their bidding, even if it’s against the wishes of those who elected them. Yes the EU is a mirror of its member countries make up, but that’s where the problem is lies, we’ve lost control of those in power, those who have forgotten they are there to serve us, not us them.
But without Brexit and the other things happening round Europe now, those in control of the EU would have been happy to continue with those policies that were benefiting them and their paymasters.
Honestly economically we’d probably be better in, letting the status quo continue, but the status quo isn’t the best for us in the long run, power and decisions would be continued to become more remote from the people and left in the hands of a few in the elite, until maybe we have revolution like has happened in the past when the people have so little left they have nothing to lose. What’s happening around Europe at the moment saddens me, but it has fired people up into demanding to be listened to and those who thought they had it al their way cannot continue to ignore them for much longer.

No Way !!! We are defiantly better off Out of the EU the “status quo” has to be radically changed, otherwise we will lose everything, trade is a small part of why 17.5million voted to leave the unelected dictatorship EU the population of this country has risen on an epic scale due to migration and non eu immigration westmonster.com/over-80-of- … o-report1/ this is not sustainable

tommy t:

muckles:

No Way !!! We are defiantly better off Out of the EU the “status quo” has to be radically changed, otherwise we will lose everything, trade is a small part of why 17.5million voted to leave the unelected dictatorship EU the population of this country has risen on an epic scale due to migration and non eu immigration westmonster.com/over-80-of- … o-report1/ this is not sustainable

Did you actaully read what I posted or just scanned it and found the part that triggered you?

muckles:

Too much to lay all the credit for peace at the feet of the EU. Yeah, agreed. Being mostly in NATO and against a common foe was mostly it. But in the future a common economic interest can do nothing but help towards a peaceful future.

muckles:

Some of our present dislike of the EU is the influx of cheap labour isn`t it? But my point is that if we kept the newly free, and ambitious, EE countries out after 1989, may have see us in a more unstable Europe today?

muckles:

It is a far from perfect system, but the Commissioners are only there for 5 years and they are all proposed by National Governments arent they? We dont elect the Chancellor of the Exchequer here do we? Who would have voted to put Boris in as Foreign Secretary! :smiley: We dont even elect a Prime Minister do we. Mid term change of party political leader and there we are. OK Im comparing two flawed systems but if the EU system is so bad, what system is better?

muckles:

So do you believe that a UK out of the EU would be in a stronger position to resist Globalisation? Im trying to avoid party politics, and largely it is a non-partisan issue, but the current Gov seem (to me at least) to be more for increased globalisation outside of the EU. Sure, they speak of a new independence and better world wide opportunities. Brave words and hopeful rhetoric, inspiring maybe. But I see a smaller country more at the mercy of multi national "mega corp". As members of the EU we have more clout. Your scepticism and distrust of politicians is shared by me. Id rather our own home grown ones were given no extra powers by us leaving the EU!
A stronger economy will surely have happier and less extreme citizens?