Brexit, Customs and your ferry/Eurotunnel journey questions

As you can imagine, we’re thinking long and hard about Brexit, customs declarations and how it will affect our customers.

We thought it might be a good idea to try and answer some of the questions you might have that are related to your ferry and Eurotunnel journeys.

What would you like to know about Brexit, Customs and how it will affect your ferry/Eurotunnel journeys :question:

Send us a question and we’ll try and help.

I have not been on Eurostar since 1998. “Too Expensive”.

Anything to do with “border disruption” has bugger all to do with me, and I suspect quite a few of my fellow 17.4m Brexit Voters - might find something in common there.

I’ve not been from Euston to Mancester since 1988 neither. “Too Expensive” again.

All money “invested” in our borders - is to keep undesirables OUT rather than disrupt the flow of traffic out of the UK.

The EU will take some time to implement any actual “hostile government policy” towards us.

If we cease payments on the 31st October, and carry on trading as if we were still in the UK - how long will it take for the EU to put up barriers to that trade, or vote to introduce tariffs etc?

“No Deal” means we cease the payments, the EU doesn’t get the 39billion, and the backstop gets left behind.

There’s no “Cliff Edge” - because neither side has actually BUILT one!

"Just because you’re driving towards a perceived cliff edge, even one that actually exists - it doesn’t mean to say your day is going to end badly. You could be going to Eastbourne!… On second thoughts…"

freightlink:
.What would you like to know about Brexit, Customs and how it will affect your ferry/Eurotunnel journeys.

Nothing …

Q1. What customs docs will I as a lorry driver with an UK export load need?
Q2. What docs will I need for my UK import load?
Are these docs different for Deal and No Deal Brexit?
Q3. How do I know your answers are correct? What do you know that no-one does yet?

Franglais:
Q1. What customs docs will I as a lorry driver with an UK export load need?
Q2. What docs will I need for my UK import load?
Are these docs different for Deal and No Deal Brexit?
Q3. How do I know your answers are correct? What do you know that no-one does yet?

Hi Franglais,

We can’t post links (forum rules) but if you search Google for ‘No-Deal Brexit : Download our Customs Declaration Form’, you should be able to find our guide, which will help with your questions.

As you say, everything is changing and we don’t have all the answers. But we have put a lot of work into trying to find them. We just want to try and make the whole experience as simple as possible.

Will the tobacco allowance change ?

Suedehead:
Will the tobacco allowance change ?

Probably, yes. According to UK Gov, it looks like there will be an allowance of 22 EUR.

Have to laugh when people say there are going to be hundreds of British trucks stuck in Dover there aren’t hundreds of British trucks using Dover. I’d be asking Mr Waberer etc what they think is going to happen after all they are the ones going to be most affected. Nearly 7,000 odd lorries a day used Dover in 2018 would guess about 2-3% are British, according to one of the P&O staff I spoke to 50% of all lorries going out through Dover are empty so can someone explain how this is going to affect the British haulage industry

If I drive a British registered vehicle in Europe, with one of them euro style no plates,will I get arrested for not displaying a GB sticker on the back. ?

Winseer:

The OP didn’t mention Eurostar…

Diesel allowance?
Back to 200 litres?
Wine and beer is currently a vague “personal use”. Some drivers have big barbeques or weddings every weekend.

Suedehead:
If I drive a British registered vehicle in Europe, with one of them euro style no plates,will I get arrested for not displaying a GB sticker on the back. ?

That could rather depend on whether you were displaying a GB sticker…

Suedehead:

Magic marker on top of little blue EU logo on reg plate?
Trustypuve already got your IDP?

Suedehead:

We can’t comment on the legal ramifications, but GOV UK states

GB stickers and number plates
You should display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle, even if you currently have a number plate which includes the GB identifier.

gov.uk/guidance/driving-in- … ter-brexit

Winseer:

Anything to do with “border disruption” has bugger all to do with me, and I suspect quite a few of my fellow 17.4m Brexit Voters - might find something in common there.

I’ve not been from Euston to Mancester since 1988 neither. “Too Expensive” again.

All money “invested” in our borders - is to keep undesirables OUT rather than disrupt the flow of traffic out of the UK.

The EU will take some time to implement any actual “hostile government policy” towards us.

If we cease payments on the 31st October, and carry on trading as if we were still in the UK - how long will it take for the EU to put up barriers to that trade, or vote to introduce tariffs etc?

“No Deal” means we cease the payments, the EU doesn’t get the 39billion, and the backstop gets left behind.

There’s no “Cliff Edge” - because neither side has actually BUILT one!

"Just because you’re driving towards a perceived cliff edge, even one that actually exists - it doesn’t mean to say your day is going to end badly. You could be going to Eastbourne!… On second thoughts…"

what’s them big white things at Dover, they look like cliffs to me

Will I be able to take my dog, he was born in france

Right so on 30th October I can just drive over, as we’ve done for years no problems, then on the 31st all hell is going to break out, lorry’s and coaches quing up on both sides of the channel, I don’t think so, it will be a normal day at the office, will take about 6-12months to make any changes, all paperwork regarding tariffs and duty will be electronic, basically carry on as per,

biggriffin:
Right so on 30th October I can just drive over, as we’ve done for years no problems, then on the 31st all hell is going to break out, lorry’s and coaches quing up on both sides of the channel, I don’t think so, it will be a normal day at the office, will take about 6-12months to make any changes, all paperwork regarding tariffs and duty will be electronic, basically carry on as per,

The Douane etc are under strict orders not to check any vehicles arriving in the EU from the UK. The authorities are concerned they don’t have enough armoured vans to transport the cash from fines for bad documentation to the bank.
:wink:

Don’t forget your beam benders.

Mazzer2:
Have to laugh when people say there are going to be hundreds of British trucks stuck in Dover there aren’t hundreds of British trucks using Dover. I’d be asking Mr Waberer etc what they think is going to happen after all they are the ones going to be most affected. Nearly 7,000 odd lorries a day used Dover in 2018 would guess about 2-3% are British, according to one of the P&O staff I spoke to 50% of all lorries going out through Dover are empty so can someone explain how this is going to affect the British haulage industry

I dont have more current figures, but 2016 the DfT said 12.6% of vehicles engaged in international work were British. Back in the early 90s by my own head count it was roughly 80%.

I know my lads have said they’ve been on some ships and been the only Brits on board.