Brexit, Customs and your ferry/Eurotunnel journey questions

albion:

Mazzer2:
Have to laugh when people say there are going to be hundreds of British trucks stuck in Dover there aren’t hundreds of British trucks using Dover. I’d be asking Mr Waberer etc what they think is going to happen after all they are the ones going to be most affected. Nearly 7,000 odd lorries a day used Dover in 2018 would guess about 2-3% are British, according to one of the P&O staff I spoke to 50% of all lorries going out through Dover are empty so can someone explain how this is going to affect the British haulage industry

I dont have more current figures, but 2016 the DfT said 12.6% of vehicles engaged in international work were British. Back in the early 90s by my own head count it was roughly 80%.

I know my lads have said they’ve been on some ships and been the only Brits on board.

The longer routes seem more popular with UK registered lorries and the ports where they come in already have fairly stringent customs checks so can’t see much more time being added to them and sailing out on the long boats there is plenty of time for customs checks before sailing, it would seem that the EU is happy for roughly 6,500 EU employees a day to be held up at Dover wonder how long before they come under pressure from member states to sort something out.

Mazzer2:

albion:

Mazzer2:
Have to laugh when people say there are going to be hundreds of British trucks stuck in Dover there aren’t hundreds of British trucks using Dover. I’d be asking Mr Waberer etc what they think is going to happen after all they are the ones going to be most affected. Nearly 7,000 odd lorries a day used Dover in 2018 would guess about 2-3% are British, according to one of the P&O staff I spoke to 50% of all lorries going out through Dover are empty so can someone explain how this is going to affect the British haulage industry

I dont have more current figures, but 2016 the DfT said 12.6% of vehicles engaged in international work were British. Back in the early 90s by my own head count it was roughly 80%.

I know my lads have said they’ve been on some ships and been the only Brits on board.

The longer routes seem more popular with UK registered lorries and the ports where they come in already have fairly stringent customs checks so can’t see much more time being added to them and sailing out on the long boats there is plenty of time for customs checks before sailing, it would seem that the EU is happy for roughly 6,500 EU employees a day to be held up at Dover wonder how long before they come under pressure from member states to sort something out.

The EU are happy about possible delays? Really?

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

albion:

Mazzer2:

The EU are happy about possible delays? Really?

My point was more about who it will affect on the haulage side the RHA continually bleating on about UK hauliers being stuck in queues when in reality it is going to be EU drivers and hauliers who are affected the most. Waberers profits have already taken a fairly considerable hit due to Brexit uncertainty and he will not be alone, despite what politicians like to think nowadays big business pull the strings and money talks and it talks even louder when there is the threat of it being lost

Hauliers (all of them) will only take a certain loss on any contract. If trucks are held up, whatever the reason or responsibly, that job will prove expensive to the client. Costs will be passed over. Either we, the end consumer pay, or a business will choose another supplier with cheaper more reliable/predictable transport links.
If Waberer is taking a hit today, his UK jobs will be more expensive tomorrow. And in case anyone thinks that’s good for UK trucks, consider if transport gets too dear, our existing EU clients will buy nearer to home. Pointless having a 5 grand asking price to haul widgets, if that means the widgets aren’t sold.

Franglais:
Hauliers (all of them) will only take a certain loss on any contract. If trucks are held up, whatever the reason or responsibly, that job will prove expensive to the client. Costs will be passed over. Either we, the end consumer pay, or a business will choose another supplier with cheaper more reliable/predictable transport links.
If Waberer is taking a hit today, his UK jobs will be more expensive tomorrow. And in case anyone thinks that’s good for UK trucks, consider if transport gets too dear, our existing EU clients will buy nearer to home. Pointless having a 5 grand asking price to haul widgets, if that means the widgets aren’t sold.

Typical remoaner project fear agenda. We are about to sell twice as many widgets to the rest of the world. Or so says Boris, and he’s a Prime Minister you know.

So has there been a deal struck with the EU in the event of a no deal in order for you to even know what will happen in the event of a no deal?

:grimacing:

adam277:
So has there been a deal struck with the EU in the event of a no deal in order for you to even know what will happen in the event of a no deal?

There was a deal negotiated ages ago.
But it was rejected by the House of Commons.
Anyone can imagine what the consequences of a WTO No Deal Brexit will be. I’m doing that.
I can’t imagine that my imaginings will possibly be less accurate than the “all positves, no downsides” ravings of ‘professional politicians’ and the like.[emoji5]

albion:

Mazzer2:

I couldn’t agree more with you guys because a foreign truck through Dover in the 80’s was about as common as a British truck there today.
I would think most of the 12% you mention are using the longer crossings rather than Dover.

My question is will we go back to the same old bilateral permits system where for every EU truck allowed in, a UK wagon has to go to the EU etc.?

In a few years the Uk fleet should be back to 50% of the action. It would be crazy imo if the government didn’t go for this but will they do you think?

adam277:

Yes, they call it a Crash Out and I believe it does what is says on the tin.

A deal, any kind of deal comes with a transition period which allows people to get their ducks in a row for the new rules of the new game.

I’m sure such a transition will still have plenty of hiccups and snags and frustrations if or when it comes to pass so Yeah…a sudden crash out will be much smoother :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

A few mates have already told the boss that if it comes to Operation Stack or similar they are gone from Euro work and on a similar note some hauliers have already advised shippers (could be seller or buyer) of the additional demurrage charges in half day increments should they occur.

And god help the hauliers that haven’t sent such letters as they will be reading a lot of red ink in the not too distant future I reckon :exclamation:

adam277:

The EU want to make a deal that involves the UK carrying on making the payments. We can leave as much as we like, providing we still pay the EU budget in their eyes…
The acid test of “Britain having taken back control of our borders and laws” would be if we bring back the Death Penalty, and then use it on the next murdering blighter who’s been picked up from a boat in the channel, that should have been shipped back to France for internment.

Blair giving away all our legal rights - can be reversed at long last.

So WHAT if it tears up the good friday agreement in the process?

No. The EU want us to settle liabilities for stuff we’ve already agreed to. Including ironically the proportion that will pay part if Nigel Farage’s MEP pension (along with others obviously)

toonsy:
No. The EU want us to settle liabilities for stuff we’ve already agreed to. Including ironically the proportion that will pay part if Nigel Farage’s MEP pension (along with others obviously)

The EU want us to settle liabilities for something an unelected PM already agreed to, despite the fact she’s no longer PM.

Blair - revoked our rights to bring back the death penalty without asking us in a referendum as well.

Referendums held without the EU’s consent (i.e. ALL of them) - are pushed as “Advisory Only” unless both questions on the ballot paper are “EU Approved”.

Thus, a referendum with “Revoke Article 50” and “Extend Article 50” - would be approved, but “Leaving with a deal” and “leaving with no deal” - has been resisted thus far.